Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you count putting inserts in the messenger bag (Which I got for actually being a bike messenger... Was pretty pricey in 90's dollars, but I still use it for darn near everything. ) ...I gues it'd have to be the big ol' Saffrotto shoulder-bag I call 'The Caboose.' Must have been maybe sixty-seventy five bucks, I'd guess: it's the maximum size for under an airline seat, and pretty seriously overbuilt, (I could carry a heavy heavy old laptop, some gear, and personal items in there for travel: I can carry medium format gear and some digital without getting way too overloaded. It's fully capable of carrying more than I can.

04-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
$3xx for an olive Billingham 445 I think, but that was more than a decade ago. Really love it, but totally impractical as a camera bag. Sold it eventually.
I've got my Billingham 550 and 335 nearly 25 years ago ex-factory (picked it up there) for a small fortune (290 GBP and 240 GBP if I remember correctly). It was well worth the investment as I still use the bags today and they will last me at least another decade or two. I just replaced the inserts as the foam crumbled in the old ones, but who would complain after such a long time.

The positive experiences with these bag led to buying a couple more and smaller Billinghams, including the office and computer bags and it all is fantastic craftmansship.

Ben
04-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #48
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
290 GBP and 240 GBP if I remember correctly
I'm glad you made this post, I'm no longer the most expensive bags on the thread (@ 200 GBP a pop for my Pelcans 1510s).
04-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #49

My most expensive is Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 which I bought used for 100€. Acts as a laptop bag also as it can fit my 15" laptop nicely. Also can fit Sigma 50-150/2.8 with hood attached to camera which was the reason I bought it in the first place. My other bags are too small for that. Maybe not the prettiest but functional. I have also 3 smaller camera bags which I use occasionally and which act as lens storage most of the time.

04-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I bought a Swiss Gear Sling Bag for $20 from Costco Toronto, Canada - website price $43. Made by Wenger, the folks selling Swiss Army Knives. Holds a DSLR with a 300mm tele lenses, (2) other Zoom Lenses, Flash, Charger, Filters, Remote, Grip, SDHC Cards (removal bag for the cards - attaches inside with velcro), Cables. The outer side pocket is empty - can still be used for lots of things. The other side can hold a Tripod. It has a rain cover and a built in Microfiber Cloth in one of the bag pockets inside. The Sling can hold an eye glass and some smaller things. The main compartment can be accessed from the side or top.
Very well padded. The bottom has a thick rubberized plastic cover to prevent wear & tear when the bag is kept on floors. All compartments are adjustable. I saw a very similar camera sling bag at Costco made by National Geographic for $45. But it was inferior to the Swiss Gear Bag. See photo attached for the Swiss Gear Sling Bag.
Attached Images

04-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Several years ago My wife and I were in Buenos Aries walking the primary shopping district. We dressed plainly (saw many of the identical clothes in local shops), didn't display any jewelry or other bling not also common on people around us (carried a pocket sized P&S - hidden in a pocket). My wife and I were not speaking. There are LOTS of German immigrants in Argentina, so our skin color and body builds were also fairly common (my wife is of German and Finish decent and I am a multiple country Northern European and American Indian mongrel) . And still, it was amazing how many of the store hawkers would approach us speaking English to entice us into their stores.

This episode convinced me that you can scuff up the look of your gear and it might not be obvious to everyday folk - who are not thieves - but it won't make a bit of difference to professional thieves. I go the other direction of simply making sure that my gear is on my body in such a manner as I will immediately sense a loss of weight or the removal of touch. I figure the pros will notice this too and look for easier targets. If a thief is going to make a more direct approach - hey, take it and go. My gear isn't worth losing my life to protect it.

By the way- I've paid close to US$100 a couple times for camera bags - but only after a LOT of thought ... and in a couple cases wished I could have loaded my desired equipment into a demo bag before the purchase. Sadly, the closest thing we have to a camera store is a Best Buy which is nearly 100 miles away. The nearest Pentax retailer that I am aware of, is an 8 hour drive - each way.

Last edited by JimJohnson; 04-14-2013 at 11:35 AM.
04-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
I bought a Swiss Gear Sling Bag for $20 from Costco Toronto, Canada - website price $43. Made by Wenger, the folks selling Swiss Army Knives. Holds a DSLR with a 300mm tele lenses, (2) other Zoom Lenses, Flash, Charger, Filters, Remote, Grip, SDHC Cards (removal bag for the cards - attaches inside with velcro), Cables. The outer side pocket is empty - can still be used for lots of things. The other side can hold a Tripod. It has a rain cover and a built in Microfiber Cloth in one of the bag pockets inside. The Sling can hold an eye glass and some smaller things. The main compartment can be accessed from the side or top.
Very well padded. The bottom has a thick rubberized plastic cover to prevent wear & tear when the bag is kept on floors. All compartments are adjustable. I saw a very similar camera sling bag at Costco made by National Geographic for $45. But it was inferior to the Swiss Gear Bag. See photo attached for the Swiss Gear Sling Bag.
this bag looks very similar to the deviantart pro camera bag i have

04-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #53
Pentaxian

$80 or so for my Case Logic. That was at like 50% off or so, it was a discontinued model so Sams Club was unloading them. I think the original MSRP was like $170 or so.
04-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original Pentax messenger style bag. EU 29 with minor production damage, which I did fix with no problems.

I also have a big and a small backpack (both of the sling shot type), 3 ordinary photo equipment bags from small to medium/big, and 2 old style camera bags where DSLRs won't fit in because of their greater thickness. But all of these were less expensive than the Pentax.
Attached Images

04-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
The original Pentax messenger style bag. EU 29 with minor production damage, which I did fix with no problems.

I also have a big and a small backpack (both of the sling shot type), 3 ordinary photo equipment bags from small to medium/big, and 2 old style camera bags where DSLRs won't fit in because of their greater thickness. But all of these were less expensive than the Pentax.
Hi RKKS08, I have a similar bag as yours - shown in the last photo, but it is much narrower, just fits a big DSLR with the lens facing down. Made in Japan, and picked up for $ 4 in a Box Sale at a local Camera Mom & Pop Store. What is unique is that inside the front pocket there is a cutout, in which you can store (2) batteries, a lens brush, cleaning cloth and the USB cable. It can take a small zoom or a prime lens if you do not store batteries and other stuff in it.
It works even with my fattest lens the Sigma 10-20.
How did the manufacturer do this magic? When you drop your camera from the top of the bag with the lens facing down and the body hand grip to the right of the bag, there is enough space inside the bag between the Lens and the bag right.wall.
There is a stiff padded rectangular hollow piece that attaches to the bag bottom and bag right side with velcro. Very ingenious design. Perhaps I can cut another (1) inch opening on the LHS with a slimmer rectangle and create more storage space - battery in the left and a prime lens in the right pockets.
04-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #56
Veteran Member

110€/$145 for a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 50 V1.0
04-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most I have ever paid? I have had a custom made camera case, I needed an airport friendly impact resistant and lockable hard shell camera case for travelling with my expensive medium format and Leica M gear, the interior insert of the case is able to be taken out and worn on my back when needed. I also have another weather sealed impact resistant* hardshell bag designed for when I'm carrying my camera gear when i'm on my motorbike - the two bags cost me over $1800.

*It is stated to maintain integrity when fully loaded at speeds up to 140Km/h - though I admit: In Germany some number of years ago I had an accident at a considerably higher speed than that, I barely survived - lesson learned.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-17-2013 at 02:14 AM.
04-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #58
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The most I have ever paid? I have had a custom made camera case, I needed an airport friendly impact resistant and lockable hard shell camera case for travelling with my expensive medium format and Leica M gear, the interior insert of the case was able to be taken out and worn on my back when the need arose. I also have another weather sealed impact resistant* hardshell bag designed for when I'm carrying my camera gear when i'm on my motorbike - the two bags cost me over $1800.

*It is stated to maintain integrity when fully loaded at speeds up to 140Km/h - though I admit: In Germany some number of years ago I had an accident at a considerably higher speed than that, I barely survived - lesson learned.
you survived a crash at 87 mph wow im suprised your still alive as well
04-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #59
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the two bags cost me over $1800.
A man who has his priorities sorted, kit comes first, this is why I like my Pelican 1510's so much.
04-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #60

Kata flyby76, more than 300€
Don't know how many sane people would buy one...