Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the most you have paid for a camera bag?

I keep a spreadsheet of my camera gear with specs, purchase date, price, etc. and was adding my new LowePro Toploader 75 Pro when I realized that it is my most expensive bag to date at $54 shipped. What is the most you have paid for a camera bag?

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-16-2013 at 08:01 PM.
04-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm a bit of a DSLR noob, so the only bag I've ever bought was $37.
04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have the exact price, but my Tenba something was around $120...

You made me realize I have around $300 worth of camera bags... I guess I won't tell the lady about that or she'll be buying another purse
04-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have way too many bags. Hate to even think about the cost if bought new. But I've bought them all at estate sales. Most I've paid was $18 for a Lowepro Computrekker AW

04-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
$24 on a 515 Tamrac holster bag which as it turns out I never use because it attracts too much attention whenever I do. I ended up giving it to my youngest niece to tote her Barbie toys in. It turned out to just be useless. I prefer messenger bags, preferably bags that don't even look remotely like they might be holding camera gear and that I can reinforce with craft wire and inserts. The one advantage of a thick, hard sided insert in a regular bag is it's a lot harder for someone to slash the bag and take your gear as it falls. I got the Manhattan Portage insert for a reason. It's pretty tough and would be hard to cut all the way through on it's own.

I have a braided wire and fleece insert that I made. I did the MacGyver thing. I put it around and under the MP insert and I've also wired the straps of all my bags and my camera strap and put covers on those so potential thieves can't see the wires. I have a kilt pin through the zipper and into and through the bag on my body's side of things. I can still release it fairly quickly if I need to get at my camera but it's basically locked when I'm just walking around. I wear my bag cross body and I don't just walk around with the camera on a strap around my neck or body when I am not shooting. Anyone who wants to get my gear they will really have to work for it. They might get it if they shoved a gun in my face but otherwise the whole dash and grab thing, or lately the punch, dash and grab thing, that's going to be very, very hard for them to manage in my case.

I tend to think that any camera bag with a known label on it is just asking for trouble. The more stealth things are or the more ridiculous they look, the safer I feel actually. That's why I also blinged out my little Oly cam. I wanted to make it look old, and silly, and not at all like anything they would even want. If all potential thieves see upon a first glance is a junky $40 drugstore cam and what looks like a school bag when they look at me? That's just fine by me. At this point I would not spend the $$$ for a more expensive, more well known bag even if I had it to spend. A bag like that just screams "Expensive gear in here!" and that's the last thing I want.

Last edited by magkelly; 04-06-2013 at 09:32 PM.
04-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

$89.95 for a Lowepro Fastpack 250.
04-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

$90 for a LowePro CompuDayPack

04-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Inactive Account

i think my one and only bag was around $90. its ok but it could have been designed a bit better
04-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

$70 for a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home.
04-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Back in '82, My Tenba was $85. In '89, I paid $250 for the top Tamrac. Last year my Think Tank Street Walker HD cost $235.
04-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I paid $100 for my Lowepro Flipside 400 and it's worth every cent. It holds a ton of gear and is super comfortable.

I am now looking at the Trekpac Freerider pro. This bag is amazing and a bit expensive at $280. I'm close to pulling the trigger on it but the shipping cost to me ($40) is what's making me hesitate.
TrekPak | Men’s FreeriderPro Pack + Insert
04-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

$3xx for an olive Billingham 445 I think, but that was more than a decade ago. Really love it, but totally impractical as a camera bag. Sold it eventually.
04-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #13

$0, got given a Lowepro bag in the early 90s ... I can only carry one bag at a time ... (and generally prefer to carry none at all)
04-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
$24 on a 515 Tamrac holster bag which as it turns out I never use because it attracts too much attention whenever I do. I ended up giving it to my youngest niece to tote her Barbie toys in. It turned out to just be useless. I prefer messenger bags, preferably bags that don't even look remotely like they might be holding camera gear and that I can reinforce with craft wire and inserts. The one advantage of a thick, hard sided insert in a regular bag is it's a lot harder for someone to slash the bag and take your gear as it falls. I got the Manhattan Portage insert for a reason. It's pretty tough and would be hard to cut all the way through on it's own.

I have a braided wire and fleece insert that I made. I did the MacGyver thing. I put it around and under the MP insert and I've also wired the straps of all my bags and my camera strap and put covers on those so potential thieves can't see the wires. I have a kilt pin through the zipper and into and through the bag on my body's side of things. I can still release it fairly quickly if I need to get at my camera but it's basically locked when I'm just walking around. I wear my bag cross body and I don't just walk around with the camera on a strap around my neck or body when I am not shooting. Anyone who wants to get my gear they will really have to work for it. They might get it if they shoved a gun in my face but otherwise the whole dash and grab thing, or lately the punch, dash and grab thing, that's going to be very, very hard for them to manage in my case.

I tend to think that any camera bag with a known label on it is just asking for trouble. The more stealth things are or the more ridiculous they look, the safer I feel actually. That's why I also blinged out my little Oly cam. I wanted to make it look old, and silly, and not at all like anything they would even want. If all potential thieves see upon a first glance is a junky $40 drugstore cam and what looks like a school bag when they look at me? That's just fine by me. At this point I would not spend the $$$ for a more expensive, more well known bag even if I had it to spend. A bag like that just screams "Expensive gear in here!" and that's the last thing I want.
Forgive my Canadian ignorance, but are you saying that someone will come and cut open your bag and take their contents as they fall out? I'm being serious cause I've never heard of this!

On topic, i bought the Dakine Mission backpack for $120. It had two main attractions for me. Firstly, it looks like a normal backpack as opposed to a camera bag. Secondly, it has an insert (which is huge, I should never need anything bigger) that I can remove when I actually want it to be a normal backpack (which is 75% of the time), so it works out well for me
04-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #15

Goodness me - if you feel that unsafe, it's time to move.

(Failing that maybe Pentax should bring out a 45 ACP model.)