Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
T.H.E. Pack | Tactical Bags, Gear Bags & Packs | SPEC.-OPS Tactical Gear -- This, in black, has been my computer and camera bag for quite some time. I can fit a tripod, MBA 13", K-5/K-7 and about 4 lenses comfortably. There is no padding, so I use a cheap ogio bag (Bags for School and Work from OGIO featuring the Module Bag) to hold the important bits. It fits my K-5iis, FA31, flashgun, and the battery grip (i have to take off the battery grip though and put it in the outside pocket. I also have enough room for batteries in the little ogio bag. I think the big bag was only $120 when I got it though. Inflation :\

04-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it was $200 all in for my first Kata backpack (R-102), and B&H shipped it to France, no less. Since then, I've picked up 9 more Kata bags, but all were under $60... Including two backpacks much larger and more featured than my original one! I guess I learned to shop closeouts...
04-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I think it was $200 all in for my first Kata backpack (R-102), and B&H shipped it to France, no less. Since then, I've picked up 9 more Kata bags, but all were under $60... Including two backpacks much larger and more featured than my original one! I guess I learned to shop closeouts...
I agree about closeouts. The 75 Pro lists at LP for something like $119, but I got it for $49 + $5 shipping. I have two other bags the regularly went for $100+ that I got for $30 & $19. Too many bags
04-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Yes, it does happen. There have been several women here who have been punched then had their purses or cameras or Ipads, Iphones grabbed, had their purses slit at the mall. A guy in my one photo club went to the zoo with several other people in the city next to mine. During the day, in the zoo, a guy ran up to him, cut the straps of his bag very quickly and grabbed it. He ran away taking with him something like $1200 in equipment. Another pal of mine online was boarding a train over in Europe. They slashed the bottom of his backpack and got his camera that way. There was a rash of laptop thefts out in CA while I was there where people walked up to the person with, punched or knifed them then took their gear at cafes and such.

There's company out there now that is doing brisk business with anti-theft stuff in terms of camera gear. My way of doing it is pretty low tech but it's likely about as effective, I think. My area is getting bad, but stuff like this is happening all over. Thieves cut and run or punch and run to grab laptops, cameras, all kinds of gear now. You can't just walk around blind anymore. Using a fancy bag, with a label they know, very bad thing I think.

What really bothers me is not that they want my gear. I've been pick pocketed once. You half expect that anytime you're in a place with a lot of people no matter where you go. You have to be alert, but the fact that they might be willing to hurt me just to distract me to get it that I can't even wrap my mind around. That a thief might punch or knife someone just to grab a camera bag or an Ipad or whatever is just crazy.
As I've said before, I really feel sorry when people go around afraid of other people all day long and have to take measures like the ones you describes. You should never have to acclimate yourself to the lowest possible society like that and if you have to, something is seriously wrong. I pretty much never feel afraid of showing my camera or similar and I'm glad as long as I feel that way. I refuse to lower my way of living based on a few individuals, life's too short.

Maybe you should look at the Boblebee? It's not a true camera backpack but it's extremely hardy and you can't cut through the shell and you can easily take a kick in the back or a fall as it's a extremely good back protector. It's a bit quirky but unique so check it out.

04-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Yes, it does happen. There have been several women here who have been punched then had their purses or cameras or Ipads, Iphones grabbed, had their purses slit at the mall. A guy in my one photo club went to the zoo with several other people in the city next to mine. During the day, in the zoo, a guy ran up to him, cut the straps of his bag very quickly and grabbed it. He ran away taking with him something like $1200 in equipment. Another pal of mine online was boarding a train over in Europe. They slashed the bottom of his backpack and got his camera that way. There was a rash of laptop thefts out in CA while I was there where people walked up to the person with, punched or knifed them then took their gear at cafes and such.

There's company out there now that is doing brisk business with anti-theft stuff in terms of camera gear. My way of doing it is pretty low tech but it's likely about as effective, I think. My area is getting bad, but stuff like this is happening all over. Thieves cut and run or punch and run to grab laptops, cameras, all kinds of gear now. You can't just walk around blind anymore. Using a fancy bag, with a label they know, very bad thing I think.

What really bothers me is not that they want my gear. I've been pick pocketed once. You half expect that anytime you're in a place with a lot of people no matter where you go. You have to be alert, but the fact that they might be willing to hurt me just to distract me to get it that I can't even wrap my mind around. That a thief might punch or knife someone just to grab a camera bag or an Ipad or whatever is just crazy.
You need this:

PAC SAFE Camsafe Venture 16 Anti-Theft Slingpack PD202SR B&H

Available in red or black
04-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #36
Inactive Account

not a big fan of the single sling backpacks they slide around and most of the weight pushes on my ribs making it hard to breath, that or its just uncomfortable
04-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Only $40 for this one Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent): Camera & Photo

04-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #38
Pentaxian

It was a gift but my significant other spend 120$ for a Timbuk2 Snoop messenger bag. Best bag I've ever seen.
04-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
As I've said before, I really feel sorry when people go around afraid of other people all day long and have to take measures like the ones you describes. You should never have to acclimate yourself to the lowest possible society like that and if you have to, something is seriously wrong. I pretty much never feel afraid of showing my camera or similar and I'm glad as long as I feel that way. I refuse to lower my way of living based on a few individuals, life's too short.

Maybe you should look at the Boblebee? It's not a true camera backpack but it's extremely hardy and you can't cut through the shell and you can easily take a kick in the back or a fall as it's a extremely good back protector. It's a bit quirky but unique so check it out.
I can't use a backpack anymore actually. Bad back, neck issues. I have a wonderful brown old style thick saddle leather nearly weatherproof backpack that I carried all over the place out west when I was in school. I love that thing but I just can't carry it now. It's way too hard on my bones. Messenger bags suit me. I like low notice, heavy-weight, military style canvas bags mostly like the ones from Rothco. They're tough, fairly cheap, and they're so low key that people don't really pay attention to them. I carry a lot of gear in a military style duffle too. People just assume I'm hauling clothes or whatever. It works for me. Now and again I get bored and switch off to one of my designer messenger bags that I buy at Target for fun but mostly I stick to my black Rothco bags. They just seem to work the best for me. One of those and my inserts and I'm off and ready to go, no worries.
04-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
You need this:

PAC SAFE Camsafe Venture 16 Anti-Theft Slingpack PD202SR B&H

Available in red or black
That's what I was talking about actually. Thanks, couldn't remember the company but I had seen it, and no, I don't. I have that, pretty much only I didn't pay nearly that much for it. :P I'm crafty gal, Ms MacGyver. I see no reason to pay that kind of money when I can make basically the same thing in an hour or so with my sewing machine and some heavy duty craft wire. No labels, no bright colors, nobody notices me...:P
04-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #41
Pentaxian

The most I've ever paid for a camera bag was about $75 for my Domke F3. I have 3 main bags: the Domke, which I use as kind of a "day trip" bag, an old Fotima that I bought new for $35 almost 25 years ago and use to house my primes, and a huge LowePro Magnum that I got off Ebay for $27 that I use to hold my zooms.
04-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Fitty bucks for a used f.64 extra large backpack. It's ridiculously huge, but it's great for when I have to take a lot of gear

04-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #43

£80 for my Lowepro fastpack 350, which I use as a travel bag mainly if I'm going away to keep everything together, then swop to a S&F belt and pouches. my dearest bag is a billingham 445 bought for me as a birthday present which cost about £150 20yrs ago, if I add all the other bags, pouches etc together I've probably spent about £1000 on bags etc over the years. a few I've still got but several have gone by the wayside
04-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About $175' for a lowepro backpack, but the real problem is I have 3 different lowepro backpacks, and two different shoulder bags all for different uses.
04-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #45

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I paid a lot for this (well it was for me) a Tamrac Evolution 8 it was $179 + 12% tax. But it works well for me and carries all I need comfortably:
TAMRAC EVOLUTION 8 BROWN BACKPACK 5788 TR578885.