Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squirrel Quote
One more question. Can you carry a tripod into museums as long as it is in a bag and you don't use it?
I have to give you a qualified 'maybe'. It depends on each museum's policies and on how the staff of each museum decide to enforce that policy. There are a number that will require you to check all bags and backpacks. So even if your camera is okay, you will have a choice of exactly one lens.

I have never had my monopod banned - probably because staff view it in the same way they view a cane when I boldly walk in using it like a walking stick. If it was collapsed, I am sure some of those museums would have insisted it be checked at the same time they collected my walking baggage. If all photography is banned inside the museum, I do follow the rules, even if I have my monopod and if nothing else, my cellphone camera. But if photography isn't banned, I've been able to select exposure parameters using my monopod that other photographers would have been jealous of as they shoot strictly freehand.

The reason many museums ban tripods is due to the tripping hazard they present when people crowd exhibits. Backpacks and camera bags either bang into things, or there is a fear they will be used by thieves.

04-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't want to bring a downer on the discussion but......
Security might be especially tight in Paris museums in the immediate future so you might get search on the way in/out and restricted with what to bring in. Would assume cameras is OK but anything light a monopod I doubt.

Today (Wed 10th) the Louvre is closed because all the staff walked out in protest due to recent problems with pickpockets.

Link to US newspaper article.
Paris’ Louvre museum closed after staff walk off job to protest pickpocket problem - The Washington Post
04-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I last visited the Lourve in 2008, so I do understand the circumstances in this story (besides, the French LOVE to go on strike).

I doubt I would have any trouble bringing in my monopod, simply because I don't enter a museum with a monopod, but with a walking assistance device that just happens to also be a monopod. That is what I mean by entering boldly. My camera is never mounted, and in fact is usually in its case. I have yet to see a public museum that restricts the use of a cane, and I have never been denied use of my monopod even at some pretty picky museums. That includes eastern Germany where they sometimes even make you wear slippers over your shoes to avoid scuffing the parquet floors - although staff made sure the end of my 'cane' was blunt and not spiked. While I don't need a cane, using it like one actually does help a lot with fatigue from being on your feet all day.
04-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In reading the responses aside from offering a proposal to substitute for tripods I realized I missed the other intended use, inside buildings.

Virtually all museums and churches ban tripods, monopods and flashes, and some even ban photography all together although the latter is hard to enforce due to the proliferation of phone and iPod cameras. In fact the latest craze you will see at the louvre is tourists with iPads holding them out in front of them taking photos and video.

The best recommendation I have in this regard is a K7 or later body a fast lens and a good ultra wide angle and shoot natural light

04-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

The best recommendation I have in this regard is a K7 or later body a fast lens and a good ultra wide angle and shoot natural light
I have a K5 and a couple of lenses, neither of which are fast unfortunately. I had planned on purchasing a lens specifically for this trip, but I can't seem to decide on what would work best on the trip and fit my needs here at home as well.
04-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #21

Original Poster
What about another option, get a monfretto clamp and use what ever you can to clamp to, posts, fences etc.... That gets the size down to a more manageable thing
This is a great suggestion as I am coming to the realization that the tripod may be something I am carrying around and won't be able to use. I could make use of this at night for sure and for landscapes. Will look into this.
04-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K5 and a couple of lenses, neither of which are fast unfortunately. I had planned on purchasing a lens specifically for this trip, but I can't seem to decide on what would work best on the trip and fit my needs here at home as well.

Originally posted by Lowell Goudge
What about another option, get a monfretto clamp and use what ever you can to clamp to, posts, fences etc.... That gets the size down to a more manageable thing
This is a great suggestion as I am coming to the realization that the tripod may be something I am carrying around and won't be able to use. I could make use of this at night for sure and for landscapes. Will look into this.
Regarding lenses... the DA 18-135 WR seems to get a lot of respect, but if you want to go much cheaper and are willing to focus manually, look for the Pentax A-28mm f/2.8. This is the crop equivalent to 42mm on your K-5 and should be quite useable for a lot of indoor available light shots.

The clamp is a good idea, but I think my monopod suggestion plus about a yard /meter of self-sticking Velcro tape will give you more 'clamping' options. Fence posts and top rails are often too thick for most easily transported clamps, as are lamp posts, small trees, ... however a monopod is easily lashed to any of these with the Velcro. And unless you are taking multiple seconds long shots, I usually just use the self-timer and use my hands to hold the monopod against a stationary object. And yet another however, if the exposure is less than a second, I can usually hold the monopod steady enough using only my body. I've even leaned against a wall, started the self-timer then stuck the foot of the monopod against the top of my belt-buckle to raise my camera above a crowd.

Okay, I've said enough on this topic - as you can tell, I am a BIG fan of my monopod as a part of my touring kit. However, I know most photographers will often come up with something to steady their camera when out and about.

04-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't think there's any problem using a tripod at night outdoors but just you might not be allowed to even get them into museums etc or many indoor areas really I'd guess.

Ever thought about a string monopod <link> ? You know, where you have a string you attach to the tripod mount, stand on the other end on the floor, then pull tension on to stabilise. I've never used that technique but seen it done.

I bought one of these https://peakdesignltd.com/leash-cuff/ strappy things off of Kickstarter last year and it advertises itself as a "stabiliser" using this similar technique.
Actually its a handy strap, can be used as a sling and packs up very small, It's way smaller than a Blackrapid sling.
Also you can tether your camera to a belt just for a bit more security with these "Louvre pickpockets" in the news lately.
04-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My advise in Paris is the sigma 10-20. It will virtually live on the camera. Wen I am in european cities I take the 10-20 and a Tammy 28-75/2.8 and that's it
04-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

FNAC is the most logical place, there are small camera stores somewhat scattered though Paris, but they can be expensive. FNAC is like a mega store Best Buy plus books etc...

Oh my, oh my, recommending the Best Buy experience when going to Paris has to be just about the worst tourist-advice I've seen, only next to recommending a visit to "McD" as the gastronomic highlight of a trip to France

Paris is a decidedly "boutique" city, also for camera shopping, so make an event out of it, do it right.....here's a suggestion.

Head to "Place de la Bastille", visit the canal, the Opera house (bring a wide-angle), do not forget to dip down in the metro and look at some of the (not historic, but nice to see anyways) murals depicting the battle of Bastille - and generally soak in some of the ambience. Then on the roundabout take Boulevard Beaumarche towards "Place de la Republique". Browse the many, many, camera shops - dedicated camera shops - on the way, including "Le Grand Format" (only large-format), "Le Moyen Format" (guess what size...) and "La Maison du Leica" etc. A mixture of 2nd hand and new-camera shops, some having both.....a fun (and, occasionally, very tempting) place to browse. You'll walk by "Le Cirque" (circus building) where there occasionally are things to see - and in front of that, there's a camera shop called "Photo Cirque" that's fairly good (was, when I lived closer to there, at least).

On your way, in one of the shops, pick up a copy of "Chasseur d'Images" or "Reponse Photo" - excellent French camera magazines....mostly for their photos on display and their listings of exhibitions etc.

[Also, there're a few other speciality stores there, such as - if memory serves - a guitar shop, and definitely a large general-purpose music store, and various other such things]

Once through your shopping spree, you'll be a "Place de la Republique", where you'll find a cafe, to sit down and admire/play with your loot, browse the aforementioned magazines, and sip a "cafe court" or five. I think that if you're there in an afternoon, it's acceptable to substitute the coffee with Pastis (if you can pretend to be a visiting Marseillais, that is ) If you further can get away with putting a banged-up Leica III on the table next to you, and you'll melt right into the scene
04-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

This is what I am afraid of... It's great that most people don't have a problem, but I would rather not be one of the few who does.
For your benefit, I decided to play Guinea-pig yesterday: flew out from CDG2.....non-spiky monopod not allowed through "security" (handed back to friend seeing me off), gorilla-pod (& 7cm pocket knife) had no problems going through "security".

I was kinda glad that they didn't let the monopod through, though: I was going on a business-trip, and it'd have been a drag to have to schlep it around

QuoteQuote:
I like the idea of getting something on Amazon and having it sent directly to the hotel. I may look for something cheap enough and just leave it behind. I have never used a monopod, maybe I will do a little more research.

I appreciate all the helpful posts. This site is amazing and the community here is always quick to offer each other help. People really seem to treat each other with respect, which is more than I can say about most of the other forums in which I participate. Glad I bought I Pentax!
Well, if you plan to "buy, then leave behind", may I suggest that you try to find a Parisian Pentaxian who'll take it off your hands for you - perhaps in exchange for some hints or a photo-outing? [I am all set personally with tripods/monopods....it's just a shame if you decide to dump even a cheap one in a trashbin, if somebody could make use of it?]
04-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Head to "Place de la Bastille", visit the canal, the Opera house (bring a wide-angle), do not forget to dip down in the metro and look at some of the (not historic, but nice to see anyways) murals depicting the battle of Bastille - and generally soak in some of the ambience. Then on the roundabout take Boulevard Beaumarche towards "Place de la Republique". Browse the many, many, camera shops - dedicated camera shops - on the way, including "Le Grand Format" (only large-format), "Le Moyen Format" (guess what size...) and "La Maison du Leica" etc. A mixture of 2nd hand and new-camera shops, some having both.....a fun (and, occasionally, very tempting) place to browse. You'll walk by "Le Cirque" (circus building) where there occasionally are things to see - and in front of that, there's a camera shop called "Photo Cirque" that's fairly good (was, when I lived closer to there, at least).

On your way, in one of the shops, pick up a copy of "Chasseur d'Images" or "Reponse Photo" - excellent French camera magazines....mostly for their photos on display and their listings of exhibitions etc.

[Also, there're a few other speciality stores there, such as - if memory serves - a guitar shop, and definitely a large general-purpose music store, and various other such things]

Once through your shopping spree, you'll be a "Place de la Republique", where you'll find a cafe, to sit down and admire/play with your loot, browse the aforementioned magazines, and sip a "cafe court" or five. I think that if you're there in an afternoon, it's acceptable to substitute the coffee with Pastis (if you can pretend to be a visiting Marseillais, that is ) If you further can get away with putting a banged-up Leica III on the table next to you, and you'll melt right into the scene
sounds like a perfect way to spend my first day!
04-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Well, if you plan to "buy, then leave behind", may I suggest that you try to find a Parisian Pentaxian who'll take it off your hands for you - perhaps in exchange for some hints or a photo-outing? [I am all set personally with tripods/monopods....it's just a shame if you decide to dump even a cheap one in a trashbin, if somebody could make use of it?]

My plan was to find someone to give it to before I leave; probably just visit a camera shop and and give to a customer.
04-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote

I bought one of these https://peakdesignltd.com/leash-cuff/ strappy things off of Kickstarter last year and it advertises itself as a "stabiliser" using this similar technique.
I may pick up one of these or something similar as I was looking for a sling strap as I hate my neck strap.