Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Place to purchase inexpensive tripod in Paris

Heading to Paris in the near future and plan on taking carry on luggage only. I am pretty sure that I won't get through security with a tripod and am thinking of purchasing a cheap one to use while there. I am staying in the Montparnasse area. Any suggestions as to where to look so I am not wasting too much time shopping? Thanks!

04-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You CAN take a tripod through security. Not sure about the really big ones.

There are tripods that will easily fit into your carry-on luggage. But the good ones are not cheap. About 300 dollars.

Amazon.com: Benro C0190T Travel Flat Tripod with Carbon Fiber Twist Lock Legs: Camera & Photo

I took this tripod to Ireland, the Middle East and the Far East on a trip last year in my carry-on.

The SIRUI TX series tripods are even smaller. About 345 dollars.
04-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I found a really sturdy tripod (okay, it had 4 legs) at the end of the Champs Elysee, but it was a bit too big for my luggage, and I assure you French security would not let me through.

Okay, seriously .... consider a sturdy monopod instead. You will have no problem taking it as carry-on so long as the foot is not a long sharp spike. Mine fits inside my carry-on size roller bag and has flown with me multiple times to Europe (including Paris), South America and all over the home country of the Transportation Security Agency. Tripods are typically not permitted inside most museums, but I have never been stopped with my monopod - especially since I boldly walk in with my camera unmounted and using my monopod as a walking stick (again make sure there is no exposed spike at the foot). I use a quick release, and I also carry a 1m roll of self-sticking Velcro tape. If a rock steady mount is needed, I use the Velcro tape and lash my monopod to a park bench, a lamp pole, a tree, you get the idea.

Oh, here is that really sturdy 4-legged tri (quad?) pod I mentioned...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
U780,S780  Photo 
04-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last time I was in Paris, I found a small camera store in the Montmartre area, where I bought a very nice small DSLR shoulder bag at a reasonable price. Though I can't recall the precise location, I imagine you'd do even better at a bigger store, especially if you're looking for something as common as a tripod. Good luck with it. However, a lightweight tripod shouldn't be an issue with on-board luggage, as others have said.

04-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi
I was in Paris last year and FNAC, a department store chain, seemed to be the recomended for new camera gear. I'm sure they would have some budget brands, and they have a few a few branches throughout the city Localiser un magasin Fnac, chercher par ville, trouver les horaires
We stayed near Bd. Beaumarchais in the 11th Arr. and on this street there were a number of new and seconhand camera stores, between the metro stops Chemin Vert and Saint Sebastien-Froissart. Not a lot of Pentax, of course, but there was a few seconhand lenses and plenty of general accessories. There was also a rental shop for pro gear...though I forget all the names.
Hope that helps?
Cheers
Dean
04-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
Hi
I was in Paris last year and FNAC, a department store chain, seemed to be the recomended for new camera gear. I'm sure they would have some budget brands, and they have a few a few branches throughout the city Localiser un magasin Fnac, chercher par ville, trouver les horaires
We stayed near Bd. Beaumarchais in the 11th Arr. and on this street there were a number of new and seconhand camera stores, between the metro stops Chemin Vert and Saint Sebastien-Froissart. Not a lot of Pentax, of course, but there was a few seconhand lenses and plenty of general accessories. There was also a rental shop for pro gear...though I forget all the names.
Hope that helps?
Cheers
Dean
+1 for FNAC and there is actually one in the Montparnasse area.

Also I always travel with my 60€-gorilla pod and never had any problems at the security
04-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. I am always stressed about what I can and can't bring when flying and just assumed a tripod could be a problem. This will be my first trip to Europe and I just wanted to get it right as far as what I am bringing. My tripod is junk and not something I could fit in my bag anyway. Perhaps I should buy something before going. I am thinking it will be pretty useful to have with me. In any case, thanks for the help.

JIm - love the quad pod!

One more question. Can you carry a tripod into museums as long as it is in a bag and you don't use it?

04-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I bought a Manfrotto MT294A4 kit from B&H, which measure 19 inches without the head. The legs will fit easily into a carry-on luggage and the ball head can be mounted or removed with a straight screwdriver. The best thing about this tripod is when it's fully extended (centre column down), it's almost as tall as the Manfrotto 055ProB series tripod. It was available as a kit with a 496RC2 ball head but now it seems the legs and the head need to be purchased separately.
04-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I found a really sturdy tripod (okay, it had 4 legs) at the end of the Champs Elysee, but it was a bit too big for my luggage, and I assure you French security would not let me through.

Okay, seriously .... consider a sturdy monopod instead. You will have no problem taking it as carry-on so long as the foot is not a long sharp spike.
Dead-wrong. I have a nice non-spiky monopod and was told that I had to check it in "as it looks like a weapon you could hit somebody with" by airport security in France. Several times over. Other times, it has been no problem.

Therefore, assume that you can't carry it on.

Always remember: airport security exists not to make flying safe, or to make any sense - but to make you used to submitting to arbitrary rules made up by "authority figures.
04-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Dont know about other musuems but in the Louvre tripods and monopods are not permitted and the security is pretty strict (well it was 6 years ago). I had my 4 month old son in his "Poussette" (pram) and I had to lift him out and they checked the bottom section of it. Luckily there was no full nappies in it. Maybe it was the female guards wanted to play with the cute little baby.

I dont think you can use flash in there either and alsono flash in the chuches obviously because it annoys the parishoners.

Just me, but I wouldn't bother with a proper tripod in public areas except I'd always carry a small tabletop one (eg Manfrotto 709) or maybe a Gorillapod if you kits not too heavy.
04-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Squirrel Quote
I am pretty sure that I won't get through security with a tripod
Nope, no problem, you can get a tripod through security. I do it all the time. Blunt items are less dangerous than shoes, it appears.

You will have no problem taking it as carry-on so long as the foot is not a long sharp spike
My tripod and monopod both have spikes and both got through security time and again.

If you're set on buying a new tripod, look at cheap ones on Amazon (like my surprisingly good Dolica) and have it delivered to your hotel/house/appartment.
04-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Nope, no problem, you can get a tripod through security. I do it all the time. Blunt items are less dangerous than shoes, it appears.
OK, YMMW - I was sent back with a (small) tripod at CDG Terminal 1 last Saturday...(or, I could have "voluntarily had it confiscated"....)

QuoteQuote:

My tripod and monopod both have spikes and both got through security time and again.

If you're set on buying a new tripod, look at cheap ones on Amazon (like my surprisingly good Dolica) and have it delivered to your hotel/house/appartment.
04-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
consider a sturdy monopod instead
Got beaten to the post on this one, I've usually got my Manfrotto 680B in my walk on, never had a problem anywhere in the world.
04-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
OK, YMMW - I was sent back with a (small) tripod at CDG Terminal 1 last Saturday...(or, I could have "voluntarily had it confiscated"....)
This is what I am afraid of... It's great that most people don't have a problem, but I would rather not be one of the few who does. I like the idea of getting something on Amazon and having it sent directly to the hotel. I may look for something cheap enough and just leave it behind. I have never used a monopod, maybe I will do a little more research.

I appreciate all the helpful posts. This site is amazing and the community here is always quick to offer each other help. People really seem to treat each other with respect, which is more than I can say about most of the other forums in which I participate. Glad I bought I Pentax!
04-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FNAC is the most logical place, there are small camera stores somewhat scattered though Paris, but they can be expensive. FNAC is like a mega store Best Buy plus books etc...

What about another option, get a monfretto clamp and use what ever you can to clamp to, posts, fences etc.... That gets the size down to a more manageable thing