Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Free DOF calculator and other tools for your Android phone

I came across this and wanted to share with the world. If you have an Android phone, you can download a free DOF calculator from google play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jds.dofcalc&feature=search_res...5kb2ZjYWxjIl0.

not sure if this is the lazy man's answer but it's quite handy and always there in your pocket when you need it.

also got this one but it's a bit beyond my needs at the moment:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.hcpl.android.phototools&fea...90b3Rvb2xzIl0.

just search for DOF, photo tools, etc and see what you like best.

What do you guys think? would these apps hinder one's photography skills / growth ?

Cheers

04-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hegemon Quote
would these apps hinder one's photography skills / growth ?
Hinder? Not anymore than any other calculator. Kinda sure you would not get rid of the calculator on your desk.....

I've had both those apps on my last two phones and on the tablet. Use at least one on almost every shoot, why wouldn't I? It helps me get the shot right.

Also take a look at The Photographers Ephemeris: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crookneckconsulting.tpeandroid&hl=en
04-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I use both, DOf calc is more intuitive for quick calculations, photo tools is overkill for most people, does pack a lot of punch. They're free so why not?

I do wish Photo tools updated their UI to match Holo...
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thanks jatrax that looks like a sexy app, didn't know about it! Will try the Sun Surveyor Lite (Free) first to see how much use I get out of it.

01-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Just thought I would chime in with my 2 cents! As a noobie I found this APP for my android very easy to use.

HyperFocal Pro - Apps on Google Play
Attached Images

01-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i have not looked at the app specifically but there is a notable omission in the first image.

it may get a little confusing to a newcomer, but depth of field has always been defined based upon a point source of light being sufficiently sharp that in an 8 inch by 10 inch print, it is less than 1/100 of an inch when the image from a regular film frame (36 x 24 mm WxH) is enlarged to fit (more or less) the 8 x 10 inch print (i know aspect of the formats don't match but that is the way it is defined.

the problem today is two fold, there is an adjustment for sensor size, which is why people discuss circles of confusion (on the sensor) of 20 or 30 microns, depending whether it is a cropped sensor or full frame, but NO ONE looks at an 8 x 10 print anmy more when discussing sharpness, they display (like me) the photo on at least a 25 inch monitor, where each pixel on the image is about 1 mm high on the screen and complain it is not sharp

in todays viewing mode DOF is almost meaningless
01-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
but NO ONE looks at an 8 x 10 print anmy more when discussing sharpness, they display (like me) the photo on at least a 25 inch monitor, where each pixel on the image is about 1 mm high on the screen and complain it is not sharp

in todays viewing mode DOF is almost meaningless
I respectfully beg to differ. Most people, by far, view photos on a cell phone. We are a small percentage of the photo viewing public, and with our knowledge due to passion for this craft, we should understand the the relative meaning of DOF.

Last edited by rogerstg; 01-18-2019 at 08:55 AM.
01-18-2019, 05:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I respectfully beg to differ. Most people, but far, view photos on a cell phone. We are a small percentage of the photo viewing public, and with our knowledge due to passion for this craft, we should understand the the relative meaning of DOF.
Perhaps I should have qualified this in terms of "most people". You are right of course, so for the sake of this discussion, most people means those who own something other than a cell phone.

But I disagree with respect to our "small percentage of the viewing public", which is what I meant by "most people"

This includes the many producers of DOF calculators, who do not include print size in their calculator, and only consider the relative circle of confusion on the sensor, based upon sensor format, Yes they [i]should[/] know better, but they don't !

The same issue about circle of confusion applies to the shake reduction systems and minimum shutter speed to avoid blurr. The more you crop in, the more you notice shake in the image, and the rule of shutter speed = 1 / focal length, goes back to the same definition of acceptably sharp
01-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I respectfully beg to differ. Most people, but far, view photos on a cell phone. We are a small percentage of the photo viewing public, and with our knowledge due to passion for this craft, we should understand the the relative meaning of DOF.
I guess my interest in "dof" calculator was misinterpreted, I find it useful when using a vintage lens that needs to be setup manually on a camera with metering and focus all done electronically.
01-18-2019, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I guess my interest in "dof" calculator was misinterpreted, I find it useful when using a vintage lens that needs to be setup manually on a camera with metering and focus all done electronically.
I was agreeing that it is useful, even with autofocus, especially for travel, landscapes or action in a confined area. When I show my photos to folks, it's usually via a link, which they typically view on their cell phones or tablet. That's why I'm not concerned that calculations are optimized for viewing 8x10 prints. I use the app you cited.