Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How often do you replace rechargeable batteries?

I have Pentax DSLR that accepts AA batteries. About 2-3 years ago I have purchased few sets of rechargeable NiMH batteries from Energizer and another generic brand. They were spec'd at 2300 and 2500 mAh but never really outlasted regular alkaline batteries. But because of the savings I was using them and use them till today. I guess they degrade in charge capacity over time because now they will either hold charge for about 50 shots (25 with flash) or for about a week outside of camera. After that I have to charge them again.

So my question is, how often do you replace your rechargeable battery sets? Is there a better battery that will give me similar shot count as regular alkaline battery?

Thanks.

03-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get Sanyo Eneloop and batteries will be a non-issue from then on.
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

6 Volt Battery Hack! You'll Be Amazed!
03-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If your NiMH rechargeables can't hold their charge longer than that anymore, it's time to replace them. 2-3 years is in the ballpark of what I'd expect if they've been recharged regularly.

03-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I been using Sanyo for awhile and realy like them , but I got some Power EX Imedion a few weeks ago and I think they are much better and I can leave them in my case charged and they stay charged, the Sanyo's loose there charge just sitting in my case. The Power EX Imedion's will keep there charge for a year or more. And cost about the same. Just something I thought I'd pass along.

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 03-05-2008 at 01:43 PM.
03-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would tend to agree 2-3 years of use and they tend to degrade, BUT, I have also found if you can really deep cycle them,, and then charge them they sometimes ocme back.

Some of mine are acting up now, after 4 years with my *istD
03-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I will buy some Eneloops to replace my aging Energizers.

I have also read somewhere that if you have a set of batteries, the performance might be degraded if you mix older batteries with newer ones (by older I mean with smaller capacity that is degraded over time). I guess saying that setup is as good as the weakest link is true. I guess next time I get more than one set, I will mark them with sharpie or something.

03-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes don't mix and match batteries, use all the same brand and MaH. and all charged together for the best results.
03-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do not mix and match, but I have more than one set of four AA batteries. I also charge the whole set together. Unfortunately, after 2-3 years it is hard to tell if I never swapped battery from one set to another. So I guess if one battery has 1800mAh left of capacity and the rest of the set is still at 2100mAh, then the set of four will not perform as good as if they all were at 2100mAh. Anyway, the batteries are not that expensive so I will just get few new sets.
03-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a maha battery conditionner charger and deep cycle my batteries once a month on average... I also number my battery sets with a sharpie so that 4 batteries are always used together.

I also have several "sets of 4" which I rotate in my cameras, flash, ham radio and radio scanner.

I've been able to keep nihm cells working fine 5 years now for my oldest ones...

Pat
03-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I also number my battery sets with a sharpie so that 4 batteries are always used together.

I also have several "sets of 4" which I rotate in my cameras, flash, ham radio and radio scanner.

I've been able to keep nihm cells working fine 5 years now for my oldest ones...

Pat
I do the same with mine, once a set, always a set.

Also, I have a charger that charges individually, not in strings, this can lead to problems with one bad cell.
03-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here is the place I get my batteries from, They seem to have the best deals.

- MAHA IMEDION AA 2100 mAh Ultra Low Discharge 4 Battery Pa
03-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for making me talk about this Battery stuff, I just went and blew 70 bucks on a recharger. MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger/Analyzer ,
I have to quit coming to this web site before I get divorced.
03-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Thanks for making me talk about this Battery stuff, I just went and blew 70 bucks on a recharger. MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger/Analyzer ,
I have to quit coming to this web site before I get divorced.
I already have two chargers. Bought one at Radio Shack but it was slow at charging (more than 12 hours) so I got one that charges in 8 hours. Now after reading this thread I am thinking of charger/conditioner with some fancy lights and maybe an LCD screen :-) That never ends.
03-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
roy
Inactive Account

rayovac HYBRIDS are the same and less expensive. walmart sells them.