Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I received the screen. For some reason I am unable to install the screen with the smooth side towards the mirror as directed. I've tried twice. I did send a not to the eBay supplier in China and received a prompt reply that it works. I may try again but I think I am just going to go nuts and get the KatzEye, I just do not have confidence n this screen.

04-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I received the screen. For some reason I am unable to install the screen with the smooth side towards the mirror as directed. I've tried twice. I did send a not to the eBay supplier in China and received a prompt reply that it works. I may try again but I think I am just going to go nuts and get the KatzEye, I just do not have confidence n this screen.
Oh no. I haven't had the uninterrupted time to try with the one I got this week. Man, I was planning on doing it on Sunday afternoon.
04-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Oh no. I haven't had the uninterrupted time to try with the one I got this week. Man, I was planning on doing it on Sunday afternoon.
Let me know how yours works. It might just be me.
04-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let me know how yours works. It might just be me.
Did you get the Bresson FS-45DS for the K-5?

04-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No

I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/370614283691?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Let me know how the Bresson FS-45DS works
04-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you have a link to the Bresson FS-45DS screen?
04-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have a link to the Bresson FS-45DS screen?
It's the one you posted originally, but mine did not come with the nice little case.
Dual 45 Split Image Focusing Focus Screen for Pentax K7 K 7 K5 K 5 Camera | eBay

04-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's the one you posted originally, but mine did not come with the nice little case.
Dual 45 Split Image Focusing Focus Screen for Pentax K7 K 7 K5 K 5 Camera | eBay
Same way mine came - little thin cardboard box with two tweezers, plastic screen and two finger cots. Considering the cost of postage and some profit this screen couldn't cost much. I did get it inserted but the wrong way - I also think I need a screen that can handle smaller apertures than this one. I have a call into KatzEye to learn about their PLUS option for Pentax and OptiBrite. It sounds like the KatzEye can be used for apertures smaller than f8. I have two lenses a 4.5 and 6.3 that I'd like to use with the 1.7x converter and a split circle focus screen.
04-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did get it installed correctly - third attempt. At f6.3 the circle and split image are relatively dark. I have a Zuiko 400 f6.3 that is very sharp but it is 6.3. Tomorrow I will try it out with the smc 500 4.5 and then with the smc 500 4.5 and 1.7x adapter. I am guessing that 4.5 will be OK but adding the adapter will darken the screen. I may just wind up with the KatzEye wuth PLUS - it says it will work to f11 - that is probably what I need - especially adding the 1.7x converter to the 400mm f6.3

Here's the information on the KatzEye Plus
Katz Eye Plus - KatzEye Optics

If it works as advertised it is probably worth the price.
04-26-2013, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did get it installed correctly - third attempt. At f6.3 the circle and split image are relatively dark. I have a Zuiko 400 f6.3 that is very sharp but it is 6.3. Tomorrow I will try it out with the smc 500 4.5 and then with the smc 500 4.5 and 1.7x adapter. I am guessing that 4.5 will be OK but adding the adapter will darken the screen. I may just wind up with the KatzEye wuth PLUS - it says it will work to f11 - that is probably what I need - especially adding the 1.7x converter to the 400mm f6.3

Here's the information on the KatzEye Plus
Katz Eye Plus - KatzEye Optics

If it works as advertised it is probably worth the price.
Wow, I looked at those 18 months ago and unless my memory is gone they have jumped dramatically in price. $200 for a focusing screen with rule-of-thirds lines and optimized. Does that mean they sell inferior screens and charge to fix them to work properly? Not loving the prices.
04-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The split prism is dark using the smc 500 4.5 lens. So in summary this seems to work for lenses faster than 4.5, unfortunately I do not have an f4 lens to test. For my application - using 400 f6.3 and 500 4.5 with adapters, this is not a good solution. I feel the KatzEye is the way to go for me and will talk talk to them Monday to make sure I know what I am ordering. In an email they recommended both the PLUS and the OptiBrite. KatzEye does impact metering but I am guessing I can train myself to make those adjustments.