Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
eBay Dual Split Image K-5 Focus Screen

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This eBay listing posts several hundred sold. Does anyone have experience with this split image focus screen for the K-5? At $21 with shipping - if it works - it is a bargain. Just looking for somebody who may have bought one. Thanks.

Dual 45° Split Image Focusing Focus Screen for Pentax K7 K 7 K5 K 5 Camera | eBay

I just bought one - and will post information after I try it out. Worth $21 to try - From their reviews there are happy buyers using Pentax and other cameras.

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 04-13-2013 at 10:40 AM.
04-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, there are 85 watchers now. I'm waiting to see if anyone here has any feedback on this screen before trying it.
04-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same one in a KX, it worked great...
04-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I did not see the K-30 listed. Will one of the other screens fit in the K-30?

04-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love one of those, I'm just afraid of doing the transplant myself. I'm afraid of getting dust in it or messing it up.
04-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #6

I don't know anything about the screen but I purchased a glassless Minolta MD to K mount adapter from this vendor last year. It only took about a week for the package to arrive in California. I would buy from them again.
04-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I'd love one of those, I'm just afraid of doing the transplant myself. I'm afraid of getting dust in it or messing it up.
I'd be the same.

My luck I'd slip and forever be trying to focus through a big greasy thumbprint.

04-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't know anything about the screen but I purchased a glassless Minolta MD to K mount adapter from this vendor last year. It only took about a week for the package to arrive in California. I would buy from them again.
Does the adaptor work well?
04-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Come on, even I managed to switch screens, calibrated and once took one out for blowing of seriously annoying dust. It's really easy as long as you take it slow, use a plastic glove or similar, watch where you grip the screens and be prepared for the hinges suddenly popping loose with force at times.
04-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidlapper Quote
Does the adaptor work well?
Since I wanted to use my macro gear a glassless adapter was what I wanted. It was the same as the infinity focus adapters, just minus the glass. There is some vignetting at full extension on my Minolta bellows that varies depending on the focal length of the lens in use. It isn't really usable on a full-frame camera. The current versions have a larger opening so should work with vignetting even on full-frame. Some Minolta lenses are a bit loose but bending the "fingers" in the adapter helps.

I'll post a thread with photos about the adapter some day.

Back on topic - the kit comes with tweezers and rubber finger cots so finger prints shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would put some tape on the ends of the tweezers myself. I've popped the screen on my K10D many times when dust gets between the prism and screen. Drives me nuts. If you take your time and work under good lighting it should be very simple.
04-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #11

Dual 45° Split image focusing screen

There is a video on Youtube:
that shows an installation of a dual 45° split image focusing screen. It doesn't look too difficult when the guy does it and when it's done it reminds me of the focusing action on my old film camera. If it's really that simple I can't wait to get my hands on one and make my job focusing using manual lenses a lot more tolerable.

04-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #12

I also found another thread on this subject https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/124641-third-party-split-focusing-screens.html
04-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I am using a similar one on my K-7 for over a year and it is working great. Mine is branded "TRAVOR" but it looks identical. I believe I paid around $25. For fast lenses and in bright conditions, I found that the micro prism donut works particularly well.
04-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I haven't torn my camera apart. Where are the AF and light sensors located; above or below the focusing screen? If they are above the screen, I worry about the center split prism mucking with the center sensors. I use them more than any of the other points.

Feedback?
04-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I haven't torn my camera apart. Where are the AF and light sensors located; above or below the focusing screen?

Feedback?
The AF sensors are at the bottom of the camera. There is a secondary mirror under the main mirror that reflects light that passes through a semi transparent window on the center of the main mirror. The focusing screen plays no role in the autofocus process.

The light meter is housed in the area of the pentaprism and exposure may be affected by the type of focusing screen used, although pattern and center weighting modes will even out many discrepancies.