Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As a suggestion, get a better, bigger, heavier and more expensive than you need, this will save you trading up a few times.

As many photographers appear to have more than one about the place.

04-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
As a suggestion, get a better, bigger, heavier and more expensive than you need, this will save you trading up a few times.

As many photographers appear to have more than one about the place.
Ha ha. We have 4. But to be fair, 2 of those came in kits that reduced the final price of the camera and are either used to hold a flash or by my children. I expect most photographer trade up as they learn more about how they use a tripod.
04-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies and thoughts. I will have a look at all of them you have suggested and let you know what I decide on
04-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
Forum Member

Thom Hogan, a well known expert on Nikon cameras had a very interesting article on tripods Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan .

I was looking to replace my Manforto carbon fibre tripod that was just about a year old. I was not satisfied with what I purchase and was looking for something better.As a result, I contacted Really Right Stuff customer service about a recommendation on a tripod and ball head based on my interests and equipment. They replied with a recommendation, and as a result I purchased their Series 2 tripod and BH40 series ballhead in a package that saved some money. Was this expensive, you bet, but the tripod is rock steady, the ball head is a work of art and everything fits together perfectly. It helped that I had just received my tax refund so the bite was not as bad as it could have been.

The bottom line, buy the best and forget the rest because in the end you will save money over the years.

Jay

04-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've seen Hogan's article before, and sure if you think someday you might spend $1000 or more on a tripod, it is worth a read. If you are just getting started, and the tripod is as much for macro work rather than long exposures or long lenses, you may not want to or may not be able to spend anything like that. And you may not even need to. I can't say I got much out of Hogan's article, because it is going to be a long time before I can spend that much on any piece of camera equipment. I'm much more interested on tripod's that give great performance for a good price, rather than than excellent performance at a very high price, and I suspect many other posters in this thread are in the same boat.
04-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by allymod Quote
Hi
I'm new to the DSLR photography and have bought a K5. I'm loving it and getting on really well but I've decided to buy a tripod. Has anyone got any ideas of what one I should buy.

We do a lot of walking so I want a relatively light one if possible. My biggest lens so far is the 50-200mm lens but I'm hoping to buy a macro lens possible the smc D-FA 100 mm F2.8 Macro WR so it would need to hold that too.

Any ideas or info would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Ally
Dolica Proline 60" Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head Bundle ZX600B103