Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Tripod for K5

Hi
I'm new to the DSLR photography and have bought a K5. I'm loving it and getting on really well but I've decided to buy a tripod. Has anyone got any ideas of what one I should buy.

We do a lot of walking so I want a relatively light one if possible. My biggest lens so far is the 50-200mm lens but I'm hoping to buy a macro lens possible the smc D-FA 100 mm F2.8 Macro WR so it would need to hold that too.

Any ideas or info would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Ally

04-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF. There are lots of choices for a solid and light tripod. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to break the bank for a good one. I'd suggest that you look at the reviews in the Accessories section first for both tripods and heads. Then look at the monopods. For hiking a study monopod can serve several functions, including steadying your camera. There are even Monopods that can convert to tripods, such as the Hakuba that I own. Hakuba (but is marketed under other names too) VersiPod 2 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Tripods - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Tripod Heads - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Monopods - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
04-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Take a look at Benro Travel Angel. Compact, light and pretty sturdy.
04-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cheap or expensive? High max height or small size folded? Heavy and sturdy or light weight and portable? Video, gimbal or ball head?

I use a quite heavy and big Giotto 9170 but instead I get good resistance against wind and shake and easier maneuvering as it stays steadily on the ground. Also it has good max height. I use FEISOL Ball Head CB-50DC as the head and it is as sturdy as most people ever will need and is a great buy, especially coupled with a bigger tripod. This is a nice heavy but very sturdy setup that works nicely for tele work. Though I bet you can find better (still heavy) legs but the head is wonderful! The problem is to carry it with you.

My brother use this Sirui: Welcome to Sirui Singapore - T-X Series
It's extremely lightweight and compact (fits in many backpacks) so you can carry it around everywhere. It is pretty sturdy but of course legs that cheap, thin and light isn't as strong as heavier ones but they work very well, especially for landscapes. I find the mini ballhead with the undersized ball a bit choppy and not as smooth as I would like for tele work but fine for things like slow portraiture or landscapes. Also I find the tripod too short for comfortable bird photography or similar and I'm about 175cm. This is probably the best cost to performance ratio around if you want a super lightweight travel option that is easy to fix to or in a backpack!

I hope you find it helpful! I would love to have both options but I can steal my brother's tripod when lightweigt is needed. :P

04-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Afternoon Ally and welcome to the Forum!

Tripods seem like such a simple item, however based on their use, they can either be a pain in the neck or something almost enjoyable to use. It all depends on the tripod, head and how you expected use them. Since you indicated that you are probably looking at a macro lens, then I would assume that you probably may be using the tripod for macro work also.
  • You have already touched on light weight for hiking.
  • There is also they type of leg locks - twist or flip levers. Something of a personal preference. Flip levers are a bit easier to work with.
  • The number of leg sections is important in terms of how small the tripod collapses into. A 4 section fits into my carry on luggage, as a 3 section is way too long to fit.
  • With Macro, you are probably wanting to get low to the ground, so you will want something that can be set up low.
  • Also with Macro, the center column if its adjustable as a boom out the side may help in a number of instances.
Then you have the heads....
  • There are several types of heads. 3D video heads or ballheads, and there are also some hybrids.
  • With Macro, you are going to want something that you can probably adjust in each axis - like the 3D video heads. You would probably want to go to a store or check out some YouTube videos on tripod heads to get a feel as to what appeals to you.
  • Heads come with clamps and plates. Arca-Swiss (AS) is the most common for interchangeable use, but has a slight premium. Bottom line, all the parts are somewhat pricey.
  • Associated with plates, are L Brackets that enable you to mount the camera in a landscape or portrait orientation. Just an extra cost item.
Here is a google search on dslr tripods for Macro work videos....I have a Benro Travel Angel also. Its a 4 leg section tripod, fits in my carry on luggage for traveling and is easy to carry. My other one is an old Manfratto that I bought used, is a 3 section that weighs about 3x the Benro. The Benro has twist leg locks, that after a while my hands start to crimp from adjusting the legs a lot, and the Manfratto has flip levers that are really easy to adjust.

Each of them will easily hold about 3 lbs of camera and lens.

I am a big fan of ballheads. That said, for macro work, they may not be the best for your use. Take a look at something like the Manfrotto 410 that enables you to adjust the position of the camera in each of the 3 axis individually.

Hope that helps....

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-14-2013 at 03:28 PM.
04-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi. I am actually interested in acquiring a tripod too, and I also have very limited knowledge about the subject. For just $110, I have found this combo: Triopo MX-1128 and KS-0 ball head. They seem to be fairly well spec'd, and some quick Google searches don't reveal any complaints from the (few?) buyers. So I assume there must be some sort of catch that I'm not getting, which is the reason I am asking this here. Of course I am not expecting pro tolerances in the parts, but I figured those should be at least half decent.
04-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've recently purchased a Vanguard model, Alta Pro 263AB 100. It's aluminum, but the central column can rotate downward making it great for macros. It was $230 including a decent ballhead.
its not the lightest, but its transportable, sturdy and well made. A great starter tripod IMO.

04-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know from which Ebay seller my brother bought his Sirui but it may be this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SIRUI-T-1205X-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-G-10-Ballhead-...item3a5a08e227
You get two different columns and the legs can go into spectacular positions due to the "foldable" design which can be useful for macro.
04-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I don't know from which Ebay seller my brother bought his Sirui but it may be this one: New Sirui T 1205X Carbon Fiber Tripod G 10 Ballhead 013964147506 | eBay
You get two different columns and the legs can go into spectacular positions due to the "foldable" design which can be useful for macro.
It's cheaper from B&H but has no G-10 ball head but does come with the short column.
Sirui T-1205X 5-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod BSRT1205 B&H Photo
04-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Oh, but not for us Swedes with the brutal shipping from B&H.

Order Total: $484.18
UPS Worldwide Saver
3-5 Business Days Delivery $63.79
The Pay Now option is a speedier method and includes all customs fees with no additional charges upon delivery.

And if you try to get lucky with the taxes and duty you can go down to:
Order Total: $344.74
The Pay on delivery option lets you handle all customs fees and gives you a larger selection.
04-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, but not for us Swedes with the brutal shipping from B&H.

Order Total: $484.18
UPS Worldwide Saver
3-5 Business Days Delivery $63.79
The Pay Now option is a speedier method and includes all customs fees with no additional charges upon delivery.

And if you try to get lucky with the taxes and duty you can go down to:
Order Total: $344.74
The Pay on delivery option lets you handle all customs fees and gives you a larger selection.
Ah, forgot you were in Sweden but the OP is not - but is in the UK.
04-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ah, forgot you were in Sweden but the OP is not - but is in the UK.
UK is slightly cheaper but not by that much. Sometimes I forget that a majority of the forum members are from the US.
04-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UK is slightly cheaper but not by that much. Sometimes I forget that a majority of the forum members are from the US.
And sometimes many of us forget that many of our non-US members speak and write English better than we do.
04-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I really hope the TS checks this thread again because there are some great suggestions here.
And sometimes many of us forget that many of our non-US members speak and write English better than we do.
And I feel so brutal and bad at it now, almost like an analphabetic stutter machine, ever declining since I graduated from school.
04-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really hope the TS checks this thread again because there are some great suggestions here.

And I feel so brutal and bad at it now, almost like an analphabetic stutter machine, ever declining since I graduated from school.
Din Engelska är säkert bättre än min Svenska!