Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I love this tripod and the ballhead (the K series is recommended against the G because the K has the tension adjustment that make working with the ballhead such a breeze).
+1 on this. I haven't much to say regarding your tripod choices (aside from saying I've had a Feisol 4-section for (OMG!) 10 years, and still use it sometimes), and I'm sure some of the "bundled" ballheads are very good, but the separate tension control (apparently in the K-20x) can be a real lifesaver! If you set it properly for the lens you're using, you won't be able to "accidentally" loosen your ball to the point that it flops over and carries all your gear to the ground. I've done this a few time with my (otherwise very nice) Markins Q3...

06-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
If you set it properly for the lens you're using, you won't be able to "accidentally" loosen your ball to the point that it flops over and carries all your gear to the ground. I've done this a few time with my (otherwise very nice) Markins Q3...
Funny that you mention Markins. I was introduced to the Friction limit control by the Nikonians: Why Markins Ball Heads and they used a Markins (the M20). Suffice to say that after using that kind of ballhead, I stopped to use my pistol grip (Manfrotto 322RC2) : my K20x is much lighter than the grip, supports more weight, is more precise (no post-lock sag) and is easier to move. It's even cheaper so I sold the 322RC2 (I still have a second one to sell if anyone is interested...
06-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #18

In discussing friction control, FLM makes a very good one, similar in use to the Markins.
It lets you set a separate knob to mark the set tension, preventing you from going any looser.
You can of course, tighten the ball further, to take your shot, and always have the pre-set friction on tap.
A video on the website demonstrates it better than how I'm describing it.

Thanks,
Ari