Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Advice and help KatzEye Plus

I would appreciate the advice and help with those using the KatzEye and KatzEye Plus. I have a K-5 and several legacy manual focus lenses and converters including three Olympus OM Zuiko's (ranging from 85, to 400mm,) several M42 TAk's, A panagor 90mm f2.8 macro, Olympus 50mm f3.5 macro, the Pentax 1.4L converter and Pentax smc 500 4.5, and the 1.7X Pentax-F Converter. I also have some current auto focus lenses DA*16-50; Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS and the Sigma 150-500 OS version. I am split about 50/50 between manual and auto focus.

The Katz Eye Plus - KatzEye Optics advertises that its split prism is visible to f11

I ordered a $20 eBay split prism which gets dark to quick, accurate focus but too dark too early.

I would appreciate knowing if I will be able to use the faster DA* and Sigma zooms with the KatzEye Plus. The KatzEye Plus seems like the ideal solution for all my legacy lenses.

Changing focusing screens is not as easy as it was when I used old Olympus OM film cameras, with those I could change screens on the fly. The K-5 change is more delicate.

I would appreciate your experiences with the KatzEye Plus

Thank you.

04-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Forum Member

I had mixed experiences with the Katz Eye screen on my K5. I found that when using muti-segment metering, the Katz Eye split prism screen affects exposure on all my lenses with maximum apertures ranging between F1.4 to F4.0. I also found that even with the same lens the exposure compensation is slightly different under different lighting conditions. Since I only have one camera body for all my lenses, I found it very difficult to keeping track of all the different exposure compensation values for each lens under different lighting conditions. Because of these reasons and with much regret, I decided to return the screen.

I had much happier later with a Nikon F6-J microprism focus screen. The Nikon microprism screen did not materially affect the camera’s metering system.
04-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the Katz eyes screen with the Optibright treatment since 2008 and was quite happy on the K10D and K5. I was able to get better focusing results in general as I often ended up using MF and also applying a +1 to 1 1/2 EV correction - which I think most do. I now have the K5IIs (and K5 as a spare) and haven't noticed a need to have that screen since the AF works better.
I still recommend the screen to those who have problems focusing because of poor eye sight and glasses.
04-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

f/11 is actually a conservative figure for the Katzeye, at least the Optibrite version that I have. It doesn't really black out even at f/22, but I would imagine it does interfere with your metering by that point. I uses an incident meter for most of my shots, so I've never really tested it.

04-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
I have used the Katz eyes screen with the Optibright treatment since 2008 and was quite happy on the K10D and K5. I was able to get better focusing results in general as I often ended up using MF and also applying a +1 to 1 1/2 EV correction - which I think most do. I now have the K5IIs (and K5 as a spare) and haven't noticed a need to have that screen since the AF works better.
I still recommend the screen to those who have problems focusing because of poor eye sight and glasses.
Thanks for the feedback Rnovo

I wear glasses - they drive me nuts with the K-5. I have to take them off to focus using the Pentax Magnifier eye-cup. I keep my glasses on eyeglass holders around my neck to check the lcd for correct exposure and focus. The glasses get smeared, sometimes they fall off the holder, and the results photographically are 50/50 - sometimes I nail focus - sometimes I do not.

KatzEye indicates the PLUS option means Optibrite is not needed - I have a call into them to ask about exposure.