Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a ton of mounts that I use for taking pictures on my bicycles and motorcycles.
There is no easy way around it.
For bicycles, I like to use my Q or my K5 in a ThinkTank Holster.

If I am using a motorcycle, I tend to put things in a backpack and use a custom designed tripod holder I made.

Mounting a Tripod on a Motorcycle

While it looks like I could take pictures while moving, I don't.

Cameras on two wheeled devices can be tricky depending if you just want to carry it, or take pictures as you move along.

04-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do a fair bit of biking w/ my camera and have tried a bunch of options. Of late, I've been using my K-x and just using the 18-135. I have a small fanny pack, and I actually wear it on the front. Really isn't a problem when biking, and it is very handy. If I'm wanting to carry extra gear, I use a Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Sling Bag. At least it is easy to swing around to the front when I want to get to the camera.
04-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
hip pack. It can fit under a back pack and it is out of your way while pumping the pedals, yet quickly slide around without removal to access the camera or other gear - and slide back out of the way when you resume pedaling. I walk when touring and HATE putting photo gear in a back pack for the exact reasons you describe. I use my back pack for things like jackets, water, snacks, souvenirs - things I am not likely to need RIGHT NOW.
04-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Manota a german brand has camerabags for bicycles mantona Premium Biker Fototasche | mantona . Otherwise a wasitpack is very nice. I use a Clik Elite trekker when on the bike and my K-01 and lenses. Sits on my back, and when needed, I quickly swing it to the front and take the camera out. Clik Elite Performance packs for adventure photographers. SLR Camera Waist Packs - Clik Elite
Otherwsie a chestpack could also work if you have just a camera with lens attached SLR Chest Carriers - Keep your photography gear close, ready, and safe.

04-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I went through the exact permutations wanting to take my DSLR out Cycling.
#1 I hate wearing backpacks as I get all sweaty.
#2 I still wanted the quality of my DSLR as places I cycle to can be awefully scenic and I get those "I wish I had my good camera" moments.
#3 I wanted something quick to access but worried about vibration etc.

So this is what I do, wear the camera as normal with the neck strap, run an elastic strap around my trunk tucking the lens into it to keep it moving about. TAA DAA!
My own body absorbs the shakes and it couldn't be quicker to access. Also I find I barely notice the weight on me. There is no distracting sliding around in my cycle shirt pocket or other type of bag and frees up my seat post bag for other things like tubes/tools/energy bars.

I'm sure you could also fashion something with the bottle cage putting the camera in lens first but found the above solution to minimise any worry about the camera.

I am also considering mounting a WGS semi-permanently to the front of the handle bars. I can then use it for time lapse video (I'm kinda bored of seeing GoPros everywhere) and even use the Macro LED for added visibility in dim conditions and of course its water resistant.

Last edited by Tonto; 04-29-2013 at 07:19 AM.
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

The Cotton Carrier vest works for me. Bicycle, motorcycle, XC skiing, hiking, kayaking.......
05-10-2013, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I have posted this before but someone who is not addicted to name brand products might find it useful.

I first posted this last May, 2009.
It is neither elegant nor refined , but it does the job to perfection and is cheap and is very simple to use.

Carrying K100D on a Bicycle and trekking.
I have tried various items for carrying my K100D when bicycling. None were satisfactory.

I have used this with a Canon T90, Pentax K100D and now a Pentax K-5. No adapters were needed.

A handlebar bag had me concerned about vibration on bumpy terrain as did a bag on the rear carrier.

The Op/Tech Camera/Binocular harness was difficult to adjust, awkward to put on, uncomfortable and allowed the camera to hang free and bounce against my chest.
Other devices have components that rest against the chest or back and can be uncomfortably hot and sweaty.

Sometimes the simplest device is the best.

[/URL]

This photo shows my camera hanging around my neck on its usual Op/Tech neck strap adjusted to my preferred working length.
It may be shifted from side to side, higher or lower as one wishes.

It is secured to my body by an inexpensive elasticized belt for men's trousers.

The belt is fully adjustable and quite comfortable and does not produce torrents of sweat in warm weather.
The belt holds the camera securely against my body even when using drop handlebars.
When the camera is in use the belt is not even felt around my chest.
I prefer to put the belt around the camera lens to keep out of the way and prevent it from banging against anything when I am not on my bike. Occasionally I may place the belt across the bottom front of the camera. It will also hold the camera vertically.
On long walks the belt can be used to relieve the weight of the camera on the neck.
When I put on the belt I slide the buckle around to my side so it cannot mar the camera.
The camera may be inserted or removed without opening or further adjusting the belt.
In an emergency the belt can keep my pants up.

The camera in the picture is a Canon T90 with a Sigma 70 to 210 mm lens. It is substantially heavier than my K100D.

The belt came gratis with a pair of slacks but I have seen some for under $5.00 CAN in mens' wear stores.
The frown is the result of trying to get a reasonably framed picture shooting with my K100D down at my hips. It took 8 tries.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 05-10-2013 at 05:13 PM.
05-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
I have posted this before but someone who is not addicted to name brand products might find it useful.

I first posted this last May, 2009.
It is neither elegant nor refined , but it does the job to perfection and is cheap and is very simple to use.

Carrying K100D on a Bicycle and trekking.
I have tried various items for carrying my K100D when bicycling. None were satisfactory.

I have used this with a Canon T90, Pentax K100D and now a Pentax K-5. No adapters were needed.

A handlebar bag had me concerned about vibration on bumpy terrain as did a bag on the rear carrier.

The Op/Tech Camera/Binocular harness was difficult to adjust, awkward to put on, uncomfortable and allowed the camera to hang free and bounce against my chest.
Other devices have components that rest against the chest or back and can be uncomfortably hot and sweaty.

Sometimes the simplest device is the best.

[/URL]

This photo shows my camera hanging around my neck on its usual Op/Tech neck strap adjusted to my preferred working length.
It may be shifted from side to side, higher or lower as one wishes.

It is secured to my body by an inexpensive elasticized belt for men's trousers.

The belt is fully adjustable and quite comfortable and does not produce torrents of sweat in warm weather.
The belt holds the camera securely against my body even when using drop handlebars.
When the camera is in use the belt is not even felt around my chest.
I prefer to put the belt around the camera lens to keep out of the way and prevent it from banging against anything when I am not on my bike. Occasionally I may place the belt across the bottom front of the camera. It will also hold the camera vertically.
On long walks the belt can be used to relieve the weight of the camera on the neck.
When I put on the belt I slide the buckle around to my side so it cannot mar the camera.
The camera may be inserted or removed without opening or further adjusting the belt.
In an emergency the belt can keep my pants up.

The camera in the picture is a Canon T90 with a Sigma 70 to 210 mm lens. It is substantially heavier than my K100D.

The belt came gratis with a pair of slacks but I have seen some for under $5.00 CAN in mens' wear stores.
The frown is the result of trying to get a reasonably framed picture shooting with my K100D down at my hips. It took 8 tries.

Mickey
Thank you, I think you are the one who gave me the idea!
05-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't feel comfortable with the camera exposed on my chest like that... I've tried it this week and it just didn't jive well with me. In the meantime I've been using a backpack, but I plan on getting a Thinktank Holster (wanted one anyways) and trying that out. I also may grab a smaller messenger bag than my massive one I got. Maybe the City Walker or Change Up series from Think Tank. I think the Change Up would ultimately be the best solution for my tastes,
05-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Get a WG-3
I've ridden thousands of miles - maybe tens of thousands of miles with all sorts of cameras in tank bags, tail packs, top cases, etc. I've also mounted cameras on articulating arms and suction mounts and on bicycles in handlebar bags etc.... Not a single failure, knock wood. If I do go off road, I will use a messenger bag and cushion the camera with my body from vibration.

In good light, the Q would be great for cycling.
05-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I padded an already padded rack trunk to carry my camera and an extra lens on the rear rack of my touring bike. The camera and lenses are stowed inside a soft cooler that fits inside the trunk, and I put in additional padding from a closed cell foam pad that I cut up. After thousands of miles since 2009, it's worked well, even when I crashed -- he trunk and gear inside were undamaged. It's a Louis Garneau RR-16 rack trunk, and it has solid hook-and-loop anchors, but I also lash it to the rack just in case. Pictures:

I've described how I padded the trunk in this article. I'm not saying this is THE way to carry camera gear, but so far it's worked for me. It is sometimes a little annoying to have to unpack the camera each time I want to shoot a photo, but that doesn't take long and I get peace of mind knowing the camera is pretty well protected.
05-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my solution. makes for easy access. i usually put a little extra padding in the bag

Last edited by ivoire; 12-22-2013 at 06:51 AM.