Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #1

18% GRAY MicroFIBER LENS CLOTH for WB??

Hi everyone,

Finally move to the digital SLR age and got myself a K100D to use all my accumulated lens over the years.
I have read a lot about the white balance "issue" with the K100D and come across this eBxx item that is made out of a piece of cloth.

Anyone used this? Is it really a good idea as it described? I like the idea that you just draped this over your target area and do a custom WB and you can fold it up when done.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

David

03-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
David,

First off, welcome to the forum.

I have one of these 18% gray lens cloths myself and it is a great idea...in theory. I found that in practice holding it out in front of the camera while taking a landscape-type of shot, inevitably a puff of wind would come along and blow it and drive the camera's meter crazy. If you're going to lay it on your target, it might work better (as long as a puff of wind doesn't come along and blow it off).

What you might be better off doing is picking up an 18% gray card and cutting it down to a size small enough to fit in your camera bag.

One idea that intrigues me is the WhiBal card--a plastic 18% gray card that comes in 3 different sizes. The main reason I haven't picked one up is that they're rather expensive. Here's the link to it if you're curious...
WhiBal - Ultimate Gray Card for Digital Photo White Balance - RawWorkflow.com

HTH,
Heather
03-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Heather.

I did not plan on using this for WB for outdoor shot. I was more concerned about the WB issue indoors so I thought this gadget would be great.

Yes, those WhiBal cards are quite expensive as they look to be for Pros.

I will look around for other more economical choices.
03-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

Found this recently on another forum.

Grey cards are a historical item these days....Originally designed to assist you in getting "correct" exposure in the full world of film, the usefulness today is mainly for swatting passing insects.

White balance reference cards they work better with digital then the old 18% gray cards.

03-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

sandwich a couple of white (not brown) unused coffee filters between 2 old sets of filter rings, attach to camera, point at subject, adjust whibal, remove, enjoy.
03-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #6

Just my thoughts, due to my limited knowledge on photography, no matter how i "pre-set" and "customize" my WB before shoot, i bound to edit each and every one when i am doing the PP.
Lazy me just tell myself to shoot RAW and do editing without manually adjusting the WB during shoot as the forgetful side of me always forget to change the WB setting after i dash into another room/location with a different WB setting needed.

So my practice : Shoot what i need to shoot, edit what i need to edit later. No point miss out a shot with i have the perfect setting.

Pardon me on my thoughts. I guess it just exhibits a lazy and ignorant side of me whom might not know how to properly set the WB nor the benefit of one.

However, this piece of "gray cloth" does look interesting since it serve 2 purpose in one.