Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for the perfect strap - found it in the Cinch 2 from Lumalabs

I've been through quite a few straps - I've never had one that I really liked until today!

Naturally, I started with the standard pentax strap. Serviceable I suppose, but nothing special. (When will camera company figure out that tons of people buy superior after market straps, contract with one of those manufacturers, brand it, and include it with the camera???)

Next, I went to the Kata ergo tech reflex strap. I liked it! Comfy, little pockets, etc. No real cons, except it wasn't great for slinging over the shoulder, which I discovered, was my prefered method of carrying the camera.

Naturally, I then gave up the neck/shoulder strap and switched to a wrist strap from gordy. Now, this thing I love! It is great. Looks good, adds just enough security, doesn't get in the way. Etc. But... of course I realized that I missed having a shoulder/neck strap.

I then obtained the Sigma 100-300 f4. Heavy, big, needs more than a wrist strap. So, I bought a black rapid rs-4. Now I like the black rapid but its main problem is that with a good sized lens, it swings around too much. And the shoulder pad kept working its way around to the my back instead of staying on my shoulder.

Now, when I bought the black rapid, I was aware of Luma Labs. But, they were in the middle of retooling their design after black rapid had sued them for copyright infringement (which, excuse the pun, is patently ridiculous). I waited.

Then, the Cinch became available for pre-order. I missed the Cinch 1 but ended up with the Cinch 2. Just received it today. If you haven't heard of luma labs or the Cinch strap, google it - watch their vimeo videos, etc.

More on the strap - this thing is perfect (at least for me). I mount my mestos L-plate for use with bracket onto the K5, then attach the Cinch to the strap point on the plate and the strap point on the left side of the k5. Now, when shoulder slung, it hangs such that the lenses point straight down! Which means that the weight is centered and that long lenses do not swing around.

The adjuster is great, very fast, very easy. I tried this strap this evening wearing a polar fleece (kind of grippy material against the rubbery interior of the Cinch shoulder pad). No problems, It grips great, you loosen (very fast) and the pad just slides out of the way.

I'm keeping the Gordy's wrist strap on the other side so I've got a second option if I want it... I'm maintaining arca-swiss compatibility... By the way, the Cinch comes with an acra-swiss compatible plate.

Anyways, check it out. I think a lot of pentax people would like this strap. Its different, its low key, it is very practical, it would work well hiking... All pentax shooter traits.

04-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice to read about your process. They make it tough to find, no links on the first Luma Labs page I went to.
Here is their webstore page:
http://lumalabs.myshopify.com/

I think their solution to using the strap with a plate and a tripod is interesting and possibly very functional.
04-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I've been using the previous iteration of the Cinch strap and really do enjoy it. Before it I used an OP/Tech strap around the neck and then moved to the OP/Tech Sling. Very much liked the comfort of the Sling, but did not like how much the camera moved around. The Cinch makes it very simple to secure the camera closer to your body.

I do use it for hiking, but the sling style is a little awkward with a backpack. It becomes a little more difficult for the camera to nestle where it wants to--right behind your hip/small of your back. The Membrane Connector makes it very handy to use with whatever manufacturer's quick plate and ball head.
04-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by St_PatGuy Quote
The Membrane Connector makes it very handy to use with whatever manufacturer's quick plate and ball head.
Yes... and they are coming out with a manfrotto plate option... I'm just pleased to have my camera paired with a strap that allows me to use an L plate in either orientation while simultaneously providing quick access in the sling position. This works fairly well in the standard around the neck position. I'll try to post a pic of my arrangement tomorrow.

04-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Yes... and they are coming out with a manfrotto plate option... I'm just pleased to have my camera paired with a strap that allows me to use an L plate in either orientation while simultaneously providing quick access in the sling position. This works fairly well in the standard around the neck position. I'll try to post a pic of my arrangement tomorrow.
Glad to hear about the Manfrotto option, makes it a possibility for me then.