Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with quick connect fitting

Oh how I miss the old hardware store with the creaky wooden floors and 100's of wooden drawers full of odd fittings! Here is what I hope to accomplish:

I use a hand strap on my K-5 w/grip. I use it in this configuration most of the time, but am getting into some smaller primes now, and like to use the camera without the grip at those times. Right now when I remove the grip, I have to un-thread the strap from the camera mount and of course re-thread it to install. I would like to have some sort of quick disconnect fitting where the strap connects to the camera. The first thought that comes to mind is the type I use out in the barn for connecting chain and stuff - like this:

I don't know how small these connectors are made. I am going to a fairly good sized city tomorrow where there is a Lowe's and hope to find something. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be grateful.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
04-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

stan how about a small s biner...you can put a normal key ring in place of the metal ring...i've alreay replace mine because they kept falling apart

Nite Ize SBP0-2PK-01 S-Biner Plastic Size-0 Double Gated Carabiner, Black, 2-Pack - Amazon.com
04-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They *do* make those connectors very small. I have seen them at Ace and Home Depot.
04-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
stan how about a small s biner...you can put a normal key ring in place of the metal ring...i've alreay replace mine because they kept falling apart

Nite Ize SBP0-2PK-01 S-Biner Plastic Size-0 Double Gated Carabiner, Black, 2-Pack - Amazon.com
I think that is the ticket Amy. I'll see if Lowe's has something like this - if not I can order from Amazon the next time I order a couple things. Thanks!

04-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI Stan.
I don't like putting metal hardware on my cams personally so as for me I would go with Optech Uni-loops.
You are familiar I'm sure.
OP/TECH USA Uni Loop System Connector
04-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's an idea:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The uni-loops was one of my first ideas, but they are too long for what I want to do with this hand strap. I need something as short as possible to keep the hand grip up as high as possible. Also, there isn't much adjustment left to make the strap on the hand strap shorter.

Thanks for the ideas - still thinking........

04-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #8

They sell the "carabiner" alone (without the keyring) at the register in several sizes. I can't find them in the catalog though.
Bison Designs Mini Link Keychain at REI.com

Here they are but I wouldn't buy them at that price. They're only $1.50 - 2.00 at REI.
Amazon.com: Mini Link 3 X 48mm 2pk: Sports & Outdoors
04-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I do it this way:

04-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
The uni-loops was one of my first ideas, but they are too long for what I want to do with this hand strap. I need something as short as possible to keep the hand grip up as high as possible. Also, there isn't much adjustment left to make the strap on the hand strap shorter.
Note that my setup uses only one uni-loop (top), the bottom one is a 3/8" webbing connector. My paws are of average size and that setup fits perfectly. If I need my hand strap any shorter, I'll replace the top one with a 3/8" webbing connector too.
04-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Note that my setup uses only one uni-loop (top), the bottom one is a 3/8" webbing connector. My paws are of average size and that setup fits perfectly. If I need my hand strap any shorter, I'll replace the top one with a 3/8" webbing connector too.
I see that - a great solution but I don't want to loose my ohhhh so soft leather hand strap. I'll have to go look at what OP/Tech has for a hand strap like mine.
04-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I dug through my junk drawer and found a small connector - I think it is from a pocket watch chain. This might work, but as Larry says, I don't really like having metal there. The way I have it in the pic though it doesn't touch the camera body. Also, this is as long a connector as I can go - I have the strap tightened all the way and it is just about right.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
04-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about this one and thread the clip itself through your nylon strap where you attached your metal clip above?
Mini QD Loops
04-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
How about this one and thread the clip itself through your nylon strap where you attached your metal clip above?
Mini QD Loops
Great suggestion. Actually I have a loose mini-loop male end, but I would have to canibalize a QD wrist strap or QD sling strap to get the female end to test. But I did hold it up to my current metal clip, and the mini-loop is twice as long even after attaching the male end to the camera strap post. I really wish that would have worked as I like that - just an inch or so too long.

For the time being, I got the metal clip as far down on the hand strap as possible. Also, where the clip attaches to the camera, I let to one side of the leather protector loose so the clip can't contact the camera at that point. I think I'll work with this as I have it now - still going to look at the mini-loop option however to see if I can shorten it up some.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
05-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Mini QD Loops
I have had these plastic fasteners breaking open under even moderate strain. I would never trust my cameras to these. Even those on my LowePro camera straps have been fixed with simple cable binders, to prevent them from opening. I had that in the past and both my old K10 and my K20 fell onto the ground, when those plastic thingies gave way. Never again...

Ben