Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm not sure about that particular flash mod but most dedicated P-TTL flashes have the ability to be wirelessly triggered without the need for the radio trigger you mentioned. With the radio trigger, you can fire off any flash remotely, and have more range to do so than with the optical system (without the radio trigger).

Ash.
Thank you, so radio trigger is not necessary to shoot with off camera flash. (I have used a cheap non-Pentax brand TTL flash with my K-x in past but only attached to the camera) Don't have any experience with off camera technique.

08-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by black-kx Quote
Thank you, so radio trigger is not necessary to shoot with off camera flash. (I have used a cheap non-Pentax brand TTL flash with my K-x in past but only attached to the camera) Don't have any experience with off camera technique.
That flash would need a radio trigger as it is not P-TTL capable but they are still good to use wirelessly as a good one has manual variable power output settings which give you total control of the light intensity. I like P-TTL for its versatility though and the fact that I can set it up quickly and effortlessly in the field. I use the AF540FGZ but also have a Sigma EF 500 Super that I can use wirelessly without a radio trigger.

Ash.
08-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also have a look at Neil Tangent's tutorial on off camera flash as they are easy to understand and quite practical. A single off camera light source is often all you need for great portraits indoors or out, but two lights can give you even greater creativity with the results.

Ash.