Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Transcend USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader RDF8

Is it good or there are some better card readers ? Thanks

05-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Amazon.com: Transcend USB 3.0 Super Speed Multi-Card Reader for SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/CF Cards (TS-RDF8K): Electronics
05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have that reader - it works fine, gets good reviews and comes with a short usb 3.0 cable as well. a USB 3.0 reader is really nice (of course you need a USB 3.0 port to match!), expect speeds around 35-40mbps sustained (assuming you've also got a newer fast card...though even my sandisk ultra class 10 reads at those speeds).
05-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I have that reader - it works fine, gets good reviews and comes with a short usb 3.0 cable as well. a USB 3.0 reader is really nice (of course you need a USB 3.0 port to match!), expect speeds around 35-40mbps sustained (assuming you've also got a newer fast card...though even my sandisk ultra class 10 reads at those speeds).
Thanks for your reply Pxpaulx. Yes my coputer does have USB 3 ports and I have several fast cards, so that is why I need a faster card reader to replace the old one I am having now which takes so long to transfer pics to the computer, Anyway, after reading your post I went ahead and ordered one from B&H.

Aoeu, since I saw mix user reviews at Amazon then I came in here to ask about it.

05-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #5

I'm happy with this one Amazon.com: Kingston USB 3.0 Memory Card Reader FCR-HS3: Electronics
12-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am about to get a USB 3 (SD) card reader and came upon this thread.

I see that there are a couple of choices out there and I really want to get something that will perform and is dependable.
According to the few posts up here, what is your take on the SD card reader (USB 3) of choice?

Second question:

I am also going to get a couple of SD cards such as the Sandisk Extreme Pro and wonder what the difference is between a SDXC UHS I and a SDHC UHS I.
I am not sure what the different alpha difference means: i.e.: "X" vs. "H".

Last question:

I have only two USB 3 ports in the back of my computer and one is already taken (for my Seagate USB 3 external drive) and I will need two more ports.
Is there a "splitter" available (Y-splitter) for USB 3 and, is this recommendable? Would it perhaps cause read-write problems to/from the SD card(s) ?

If anyone could jump in a suggest something, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 12-21-2013 at 10:36 AM.
12-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
what is your [...] SD card reader (USB 3) of choice?
This one from Lexar: Lexar® Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader | Lexar

QuoteQuote:
"X" vs. "H".
The filesystem in the card: SDHC filesystem supports max capacity of 32 GB, while the SDXC filesystem can support capacity of 2 TB (which is about 2000 GB, vs the 32 GB of the SDHC). The letters mean SD = Secure Digital, HC = High Capacity, XC = eXtended Capacity.

QuoteQuote:
Is there a "splitter" [..] and [...] Would it perhaps cause [...] problems [...] ?
Yeah, and no it won't cause problems. Look for a USB 3.0 hub.

12-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, jiimaa !

I'll get online and order the "parts".
Where I live, it is utterly useless to even try to get help from the sales persons ... one guy even told me that the "Extreme Pro" cards have been discontinued and that they were replaced with the "Ultra" !!
He went on to say that they don't carry "SDXC".
Go figure!

Do you use the SDHC or the SDXC yourself ?

Again, thanks for the reply.

JP
12-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Forum Member

I use both the sandisk extreme pro and transcend ultra cards, 16 & 32 sizes. I like the sandisk more.
12-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI - with the K3 you dont have to worry about this - the camera has a USB 3.0 port. All you need is a USB 3.0 cable (got mine off eBay)
12-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Forum Member

Oh, right you are; that did not cross my mind. I'm with K-5 II so I'm still very depending on the PCIe card + Lexar thing to get the pics fast. Come to think of it, I probably will retain the workflow even after I eventually get the K-3, as that'd be yet another cable to the mess to do that from the camera. And as we all know USB 2 cables at least are multidimensional in nature, meaning they don't fit in which ever way you try to insert it, then you have to rotate it only to see that now it's upside down, and you need to rotate it to the original orientation again to make it fit. Overall the 5-dimensional nature of the USB ports make the process more complicated. See example:

Reader:
1. pop card out of camera
2. insert card to lexar "lexy" luthor, the lexiest card reader out there
3. import to LR
4. pop card from the lexy
5. insert card to camera
6. format card

Cable:
1. find usb cable
2. plug to camera
3. try to plug USB cable to computer
4. rotate USB cable and try again
5. rotate USB cable to original orientation, oh now it goes in
6. import to LR
7. unplug the cable from both ends and throw it somewhere where you can "find" it
8. format card

As we can see that's 2 steps more, or up to 33 % more total steps, thus the reader is the lexiest option with regards to my nerves. Q.E.D.
12-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use a permanent marker so that you don have to rotate the cable. Moreover, I have my USB 3 cable plugged into my desktop all the time. Saves about 4 steps from option #2