Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IR Remote v Cable Release

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have dug out an old telephoto lens holder (it's a bit like a cheap Bush Hawk) which I bought years ago but which I scarcely used. It has an old manual shutter cable which is of course no use now. I thought I might try to adapt it so I can use it with my K10D to give it a try. I will need to make use of either an IR remote or the new type of cable release. I may be able to clamp one of them to the body of the holder in such a way as to still make use of the trigger mechanism on the holder. Please can anyone tell me if the IR remote operates exactly as the shutter ie a two stage operation focusing first then firing the shutter, or does it just fire the shutter? I think I would prefer to make use of the IR remote if it is feasible. Otherwise as I understand it I'll have to walk around with the camera's side cover open in order for the cable to be attached.

Paul

03-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can go to the menu of the camera to set it to AF with the remote. In other words, the shutter won't fire until focus is confirmed. Works like a charm on both my K110D and my K10D. I actually bought a cheap GE mini universal remote for my camera, and it works just fine < once you find the right "code" for the camera > lol

Look at posts 34 and 36 here to see it https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/7128-remote-pentax-k10d-3.html

Last edited by Stratman; 03-09-2008 at 10:53 AM.
03-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Stratman. It sounds like I can go with a wireless one then. I think most of the universal remotes will be too big for my purpose though so I'll probably have to pay out for the Pentax one.

Paul
03-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No problem !! I may end up getting the Pentax too, although this little GE fits in my bag no problem.

03-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I was looking around for remotes back in January and wound up getting these two:
DealExtreme: $4.46 Jianisi Universal Digital SLR Remote for Pentax / Nikon / Canon / Konica Minolta
DealExtreme: $4.82 YN Remote Shutter Switch for Canon / Contax / Pentax / Samsung Digital Camera
For $10 US combined (and free shipping) they were much less expensive than the Pentax branded remote, and they both work fine with my K10. The wired remote focuses when pressed half way and fires when pressed completely, while the wireless remote only triggers the camera. Shipping took 8 or 9 days to Canada.
03-10-2008, 01:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the information Steinback. That's great value. Where are these people based? How long is the cable on the cable release version? Could you not get the IR remote to autofocus first using the camera menu as Stratman mentioned? I will probably have to get the Pentax IR one as I need to be able to clamp the remote to the supporting arm of the lens holder, so it will need to be very slim.

Paul
03-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
I have dug out an old telephoto lens holder (it's a bit like a cheap Bush Hawk) which I bought years ago but which I scarcely used. It has an old manual shutter cable which is of course no use now. I thought I might try to adapt it so I can use it with my K10D to give it a try. I will need to make use of either an IR remote or the new type of cable release. I may be able to clamp one of them to the body of the holder in such a way as to still make use of the trigger mechanism on the holder. Please can anyone tell me if the IR remote operates exactly as the shutter ie a two stage operation focusing first then firing the shutter, or does it just fire the shutter? I think I would prefer to make use of the IR remote if it is feasible. Otherwise as I understand it I'll have to walk around with the camera's side cover open in order for the cable to be attached.

Paul
I wonder if the IR remote can be seen by the camera? With the "trigger" area right under the lens, as with most of the shoulder stocks, the camera may not be able to see the remote. Perhaps if you mounted the remote on the front handle, the camera could see it.

My personal preference is for the IR Remote because i don't have to compromise the weather proofing of the camera as I would have to do with the cable release.

03-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Paul,
Here is the wiring info for the Pentax DSLR socket. It may help understand the operation and would be useful if you wished to make your own release.

Dave

Pentax DSLR Remote pinout ( This info was found on the net by me, author unknown)

Tip=Shutter
Ring=Focus
Sleeve=Ground

I am just about to make my own wired remote control, based on knowledge I picked up from another forum (works for K10D as well as K100D):

Just above the USB connector there is a 2.5 mm stereo jack for remote control.
On the 2.5 mm stereo plug the pinout is
- tip: Shutter
- ring: Focus
- sleeve: Common

Shorting ring to sleeve activates autofocus
Shorting tip to sleeve releases the shutter

Wiring a latching switch in parallel to a momentary pushbutton for the shutter provides a convenient handling of long Bulb exposures.

Last edited by Big Dave; 03-10-2008 at 11:36 AM.
03-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The company is based out of Hong Kong. I'm not sure how they manage to pull off free shipping for items that are so cheap, but they arrived and worked as advertised in less than 10 days.

The cable on the cable release is 90 cm long, and I've used it mainly indoors and in nice weather outside.

The IR release is tiny (8.5 x 3.25 x 0.5 cm). I just played around with it a bit more, and with the camera set to focus before release with remote in the menu, it does lock the autofocus before taking a picture. Indoors the remote works fine, though I haven't tried it outside and I'm not sure how well it would work in the sun. The remote needs to be within about 30 degrees of the remote sensors on the front or back of the camera body and pointed at the sensor. It takes a standard CR2025 battery, though I have no idea how long it will last.
03-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Paul, I just saw another thread where you were commenting on the Bush Hawk and now that I have a better idea of how you are looking to use the remote I'm not sure how well the IR one I linked to will work for you. The little dome buttons on it work fine, but they're awkward to use unless you hold the remote like one for a TV and push the button straight down. It's too bad that the accessory port cover on the camera doesn't give you the option to open up just the shutter release port and leave the other 2 connectors sealed.

Last edited by Steinback; 03-10-2008 at 01:02 PM.
03-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. Albert, I have been wondering if the IR remote was going to work for the reason you mention. Like you though I'm reluctant to walk around outside with the compartment door open exposing the connections to the elements and there is the additional risk of catching the door and breaking it off the camera. I'm hoping I can set the IR forward enough on the supporting arm to make it work.

I am also wondering about whether the trigger on the lens holder can be set up to effectively work the IR button Steinback. Anyhow I thought I'd give it a try. I've ordered a Pentax one. If it doesn't work I may have to go the cable release route.

Thanks for the tips Terry. I did come across this DIY site myself:

DIY Cable Release

Not sure I'm up to the tech diy stuff, but if the IR remote solution doesn't work perhaps I'll have another look.

Paul
03-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's an RF remote that works great! Aputure Wireless Remote for Canon 350D 400D XT XTi R7D - eBay (item 230229501564 end time Mar-10-08 19:35:58 PDT)
03-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jodokast, that IR remote looks a lot smaller than many alternative units. Too late for me as I've committed to buying a Pentax one for £15 + P&P from Pixmania. After buying my daughter's 100D Super from them and finding the only manual they provided was French I swore I'd never deal with them again. But shouldn't need much of a manual for an IR remote, I hope.

Paul
03-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Hi Paul

Click on the two links below, which illustrate the YongNuo Wireless Remote which I purchased via e-bay. It's an inexpensive yet brilliant product which works up to 100 metres from your subject:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/84720-post29.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/84728-post30.html

Camere battery , Accessories , flash shoe direct from China

Hope this info is of some use,

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-10-2008 at 06:16 PM.
03-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Richard. That looks like a powerful compact unit.

Paul