Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
Protecting a Camera During a Colour Run
Leaving it at home!

05-11-2013, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Leaving it at home!
Better yet, leave yourself at home, too. WTF is so much fun about being pasted with paintball ingredients whilst running a 5K?
05-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Better yet, leave yourself at home, too. WTF is so much fun about being pasted with paintball ingredients whilst running a 5K?
I think the fun is in having your picture taken so you can join the class-action lawsuit for "coloured lung disease" in a few years... (even paintballers wear a mask!)
05-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I unexpectedly ran a color run today. It was well worth the risk.

05-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I unexpectedly ran a color run today. It was well worth the risk.
What's that famous internet saying... "pics or it didn't happen?"
05-11-2013, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
What's that famous internet saying... "pics or it didn't happen?"
Flickr: VinylRecordLover's Photostream
05-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #22

This is sort of too late, given that the OP already took his pictures... but there are some things you can do.

Color runs are sort of derivative of the Indian festival of Holi, which is an incredible photographic opportunity--so much color, energy, and happiness! Holi is fun because it breaks down barriers and everyone gets to play a giant sort of mutual free-for-all tag. (Plus, I doubt it's any more dangerous than eating dyed Easter eggs or working in a kitchen when there's a bunch of flour in the air. If the organizer is good, it should just be food coloring in cornstarch.)

Especially if you have weather-sealed gear, I don't quite see why the cornstarch should necessarily be such a huge issue if you take some precautions. I shot my local Holi earlier this year with my K-r (which is notably not weather-sealed) and my camera is no worse for it, despite the fact that I had people throwing colored powder at me for about six hours. I put my camera in a clear plastic bag (of the kind that sheets get packaged in, with some structural integrity and a zipper on one end) and cut out a hole in the bottom for my lens, in order to protect it from water and the majority of the dust. Some dust inevitably got in through the back of the bag with my hands, but less than I feared would. One thing I would say is critical, though, is a cheap UV filter--the filter I used still has a slight pinkish tinge. Because the bag was clear, I could still see through the viewfinder and my camera stayed protected

I also saw people who used underwater housings and rain bags--and one guy with a 5DmkII and a weather-sealed lens with no protection. He said that he'd been shooting Holi for five years and hadn't had a problem, but I'm not sure I could be quite that fearless myself.

I think you should pretty much be ok if you have a first layer of protection, a UV filter, and a lens you don't care too much about. You'll probably need to do some cosmetic cleanup after the event, but a few minutes with a blower and some Q-tips was enough for me. Or sit in a tree with a long lens. That works, too. I can see not wanting to risk your gear at all if your livelihood depends on it, but if you're taking pictures for fun...

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on the weather-sealing limit of cameras, so I could be totally in the wrong here. But Heie poured sand all over his cameras to no ill effect! I'd hate to see anybody pass up a fun photographic opportunity if it can be done safely. Cameras are tools to be used! sgirvin's Album: Holi - PentaxForums.com

05-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sgirvin Quote
Cameras are tools to be used!
Couldn't put it better myself.
05-22-2013, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

This is sort of too late, given that the OP already took his pictures... but there are some things you can do.

Color runs are sort of derivative of the Indian festival of Holi, which is an incredible photographic opportunity--so much color, energy, and happiness! Holi is fun because it breaks down barriers and everyone gets to play a giant sort of mutual free-for-all tag. (Plus, I doubt it's any more dangerous than eating dyed Easter eggs or working in a kitchen when there's a bunch of flour in the air. If the organizer is good, it should just be food coloring in cornstarch.)

Especially if you have weather-sealed gear, I don't quite see why the cornstarch should necessarily be such a huge issue if you take some precautions. I shot my local Holi earlier this year with my K-r (which is notably not weather-sealed) and my camera is no worse for it, despite the fact that I had people throwing colored powder at me for about six hours. I put my camera in a clear plastic bag (of the kind that sheets get packaged in, with some structural integrity and a zipper on one end) and cut out a hole in the bottom for my lens, in order to protect it from water and the majority of the dust. Some dust inevitably got in through the back of the bag with my hands, but less than I feared would. One thing I would say is critical, though, is a cheap UV filter--the filter I used still has a slight pinkish tinge. Because the bag was clear, I could still see through the viewfinder and my camera stayed protected

I also saw people who used underwater housings and rain bags--and one guy with a 5DmkII and a weather-sealed lens with no protection. He said that he'd been shooting Holi for five years and hadn't had a problem, but I'm not sure I could be quite that fearless myself.

I think you should pretty much be ok if you have a first layer of protection, a UV filter, and a lens you don't care too much about. You'll probably need to do some cosmetic cleanup after the event, but a few minutes with a blower and some Q-tips was enough for me. Or sit in a tree with a long lens. That works, too. I can see not wanting to risk your gear at all if your livelihood depends on it, but if you're taking pictures for fun...

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on the weather-sealing limit of cameras, so I could be totally in the wrong here. But Heie poured sand all over his cameras to no ill effect! I'd hate to see anybody pass up a fun photographic opportunity if it can be done safely. Cameras are tools to be used! sgirvin's Album: Holi - PentaxForums.com
Two things - yes, cameras are tools to be used but I was raised to respect and properly use all my tools. Leaving a hammer out in the rain is the equivalent for me of ruining a lens by being careless about these color runs. Also, this whole thread came about because professionals I respect, who have pretty consistently offered excellent advice about gear, pointed out the damage done to new gear when used in these environments. So, I am going to look at their input as a guide to how to keep my gear in good shape.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/how-to-ruin-your-gear-in-5-minutes-without-water
05-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #25
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
So did you make it to the color run Annie?

This is sort of too late, given that the OP already took his pictures...
Um, last time I checked, Annie was a woman's name.
05-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Oh No! They're coming to Atlanta to make more money!

05-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So did you make it to the color run Annie?

Um, last time I checked, Annie was a woman's name.
I signed up last minute for another colour run that I had just found out about. I also have a few more coming up.
05-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Oh No! They're coming to Atlanta to make more money!
The one in Raleigh is donating the money to the NC Special Olympics.
Raleigh
05-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is sort of too late, given that the OP already took his pictures.
Does my profile picture make me look like a guy or something?
05-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The one in Raleigh is donating the money to the NC Special Olympics.
Raleigh

More accurately = some of the money. They appear to be a for-profit company.
"a portion of the proceeds benefit the Special Olympics North Carolina."