Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2013, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,623
"How To" Replacing th O-RC1 Batteries. Please Keep reading..

Searching the forum I can't see a "How to" of changing the O-RC1 Water Proof remote Control CR2025 battery .
the process is quite simple but it takes time and patience.

A while ago I ordered 5 x CR2025 Batteries off Ebay for $3.99 which included shipping. Here is a Link ;

5 Brand NEW Panasonic CR2025 3V Lithium Battery IN Original Package Free Postage | eBay

many of you outside of oz will be able to do a google search for Cr2025 batteries


I have several devices that uses this battery. The Problem is that some of these battery arrive with a Voltage accross the terminal Below 2.8v and it won't work on the remote control so YOU need to measure the Voltage with a Voltmeter before installing it.


Once you have a battery with a Voltage accross the terminal over 3.0 volts ( mine measured 3.2 vdc ) then it should work with the remote . also when you glue th terminals back together it will be permanant and you want to make sure the battery has the the correct voltage reading accross + & - Terminals.( More on this later )

Ok here are the steps in removing the back cover;

1. remove all 4 x screws from the back-cover
2. with a small flathead screw driver wedged in between the 2 x plastic halves of the remote very carefully work your way around unilt you have seperated the 2 x halves and carefully remove the Rubber seal; Careful not to damage the seal
3. once rubber seal is removed start from the opposite end of the Infrared Light Emitting Diode and carefully work around by pulling the top cover until the adhesive Glue starts to give away . you can actually hear it come apart. try not to yank it too hard. once you have removed this end slide the cover forward until the Light Emitting Diode is out of it's Slot ( hole)
4. when you've successfully removed the cover , unscrew the 2 x Tiny screws from the remote PCB ( Printed cct Board ) and you have the whole unit in your hand .
5 The Battery terminals are Spot welded , so with the help of a Sharp flat Object ( I used a watch Makers Screw Driver ) wedged under the terminal work around till you've removed the terminal . once you have removed the Top cover you can Lift the battert up and remove th Bottom one .they will come off eventually , there is only 2 x spot welds on either side.
6. to install the New CR2025 I used quick set 2 x Part EPOXXY Glue. Mix a Tiny amount of Glue and place the Battery in it's place and Hold Both Terminals Together on th battery with Help of Long Nose Pliers so that the Glue can be applied without the terminals Springing back.If you don't use Glue the terminals Will spring away from the + & - surfaces of the Battery and won't make electrical contact . YOUR REMOTE will not WORK
this will take time and Patience but it is very rewarding in the end.
Once you have applied the Glue , hold the Terminals Flat with Long nose pliers , place some carboard on top of the PCB terminals so when applying Pressure the Glue doesnot stick to the Pliers ( this is important )
Hold it for a few Minutes till EPOXXY is set.




Bung it Back together making sure your Seal is installed and inplace properly and you have a new Remote.

Thaks for watching.

05-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,285
Very nice how to. I just use the Chinese ones from JJC at $5-8 each with battery and they've never let me down - not even in the rain. Of course they can not be submerged like the Pentax model either.

A small clamp instead of pliers might work better, but the cardboard (or wax paper) idea is a good one too.
05-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,623
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very nice how to. I just use the Chinese ones from JJC at $5-8 each with battery and they've never let me down - not even in the rain. Of course they can not be submerged like the Pentax model either.

A small clamp instead of pliers might work better, but the cardboard (or wax paper) idea is a good one too.
Thank you. I couldn't find a Clamp around the house. Infact I looked everywhere inside and in the garage. pliers did the job well. just had to hold it there for a while. There is only 1 slight Problem. the IR Code Must have changed. The IR remote worked well for a few test shots , but when I swicthed the camera off and uploaded some photos from the SD card . when I went back to the camera and turned it back on The Remote WILL NOT WORK

I might have to resort to the $8.00 chinese remotes now..
05-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,285
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Thank you. I couldn't find a Clamp around the house. Infact I looked everywhere inside and in the garage. pliers did the job well. just had to hold it there for a while. There is only 1 slight Problem. the IR Code Must have changed. The IR remote worked well for a few test shots , but when I swicthed the camera off and uploaded some photos from the SD card . when I went back to the camera and turned it back on The Remote WILL NOT WORK

I might have to resort to the $8.00 chinese remotes now..
Sorry about that. The sealed units strike me as useful if you are kayaking, surfing, etc. where there is a chance of it getting submerged, otherwise they are too expensive for what they are IMHO.

05-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,623
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry about that. The sealed units strike me as useful if you are kayaking, surfing, etc. where there is a chance of it getting submerged, otherwise they are too expensive for what they are IMHO.
I could not agree more. It's an over priced piece of electronic device. I just ordered 2 x shutter release cables from ebay .they were $6.95 each and that included free delivery. So at that price i ordered another one just to keep as a spare. They work fine. I do s lot of seascape shots at the beach and never needed a remote.
05-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member
steve1307's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,129
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
I could not agree more. It's an over priced piece of electronic device. I just ordered 2 x shutter release cables from ebay .they were $6.95 each and that included free delivery. So at that price i ordered another one just to keep as a spare. They work fine. I do s lot of seascape shots at the beach and never needed a remote.
I've got the "non water resistant" Pentax F remote for the Q.
Its too tiny, (the size of a stick of chewing gum). Really tricky to find and press that little button in the dark.

I dont have gorilla hands either, I can just manage to operate the Q buttons OK.


Does anyone know of a generic ebay IR remote to suit the Pentax (K-x, K-r, K-01, Q etc)


I've had the cable release since I first bought the K-7, its simple reliable & easy to use.
I've heard you can extend the cable length several metres with a normal headpone extension cable (never tried it though)
05-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,623
Original Poster
Here ya go steve , for $1.69 from Ebay with Free Delivery;

IR Wireless Remote Control FOR Pentax K 7 K X K R K5 K10D K20D K110D K200D ML P | eBay

05-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member
steve1307's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,129
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Here ya go steve , for $1.69 from Ebay with Free Delivery;

IR Wireless Remote Control FOR Pentax K 7 K X K R K5 K10D K20D K110D K200D ML P | eBay

sweeet thanks

I wonder how they can design it, source all the compoments, assemble it, distribute it to the seller(s), have someone write the literature for it and do packaging, advertise it, pay someone to process my order, ship it 1/3 of the way around the world, give ebay a chunk in fees and then still make a profit ...... all for less than $2.

It's significantly cheaper than the batteriy for it which i guess is $5 or $6 here.


Edit: Holy CR*P it comes with a battery too!
I could buy a second one of them just for the spare battery and then effectively the second one is like the supplier paying me $4 to take it.
05-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,623
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
sweeet thanks

I wonder how they can design it, source all the compoments, assemble it, distribute it to the seller(s), have someone write the literature for it and do packaging, advertise it, pay someone to process my order, ship it 1/3 of the way around the world, give ebay a chunk in fees and then still make a profit ...... all for less than $2.

It's significantly cheaper than the batteriy for it which i guess is $5 or $6 here.


Edit: Holy CR*P it comes with a battery too!
I could buy a second one of them just for the spare battery and then effectively the second one is like the supplier paying me $4 to take it.
yeah it's pretty amazing , I've ordered 2 x myself.
05-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,285
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
sweeet thanks

I wonder how they can design it, source all the compoments, assemble it, distribute it to the seller(s), have someone write the literature for it and do packaging, advertise it, pay someone to process my order, ship it 1/3 of the way around the world, give ebay a chunk in fees and then still make a profit ...... all for less than $2.

It's significantly cheaper than the batteriy for it which i guess is $5 or $6 here.


Edit: Holy CR*P it comes with a battery too!
I could buy a second one of them just for the spare battery and then effectively the second one is like the supplier paying me $4 to take it.
Please dont order that remote, it only activates the shutter. There is another 2 button model that does AF + shutter for $5-8.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/llc-rm-e7-remote-control.html

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-14-2013 at 03:55 AM.
05-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,623
Original Poster
AF with remote control operates prior to shutter release if you leave the setting on "2" For my night shots I usually shoot in Bulb , pre-focus and Leave the camera in MF so that remote does the job and at that price i couldn't go past it's worth that much just for the battery. your choice Steve
05-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,285
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
AF with remote control operates prior to shutter release if you leave the setting on "2" For my night shots I usually shoot in Bulb , pre-focus and Leave the camera in MF so that remote does the job and at that price i couldn't go past it's worth that much just for the battery. your choice Steve
I have yet to get the AF to work with the 1 button remotes, and yes you have to set it in the menus. With the two button remotes the separate button for AF works just fine, that is why I recommend being a big spender and going for the $5-8 version instead of the $3-4 version
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, battery, cover, glue, pliers, terminals, tripod, voltage
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your thoughts on "upgrading" to a K5II/s after reading the review? jpzk Pentax DSLR Discussion 90 07-05-2013 06:48 AM
Another "Which Lens To Keep" Question... topaz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 03-06-2013 11:09 AM
Today Only "AA" or "AAA" Batteries Fl_Gulfer Pentax Price Watch 6 08-21-2012 07:51 AM
Replacing "I'm not a witch" ;) jeffkrol General Talk 7 08-08-2011 05:13 AM
K-mount Experts: How to convert a "KAF2" lens to "KF"? panoguy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 07-08-2010 05:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top