Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Proper Lens Hood

Greetings,

Recently I had been out on a photo shoot. Using a Pentax ZX-30 with a Pentax 35-80 mm Lens, 50mm. On one of the hottest and brightest days of the year, it seemed logical to use a good lens hood. When I received the prints, (using Kodak 800 color) I could not help but notice that a few of the prints had the center surrounded by half circles. It was exactly like the end of a Warner Brothers cartoon where the window is circular and becomes smaller. I realized that I was looking at the inside of the lens hood, however this was not evident when setting up the shot. I also use a 49mm Tiffen UV Haze filter. On one close-up, (Macro) I did make the mistake of leaving the lens hood on when using the built-in flash within less than five feet. The lens hood is a typical three position, accordion type, rubberized. I understand my mistake using the built-in flash, but what happened with the other shots at a much farther distance?

Thanking you in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

Tony

05-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A lens hood can cause vignetting (dark edges), especially if the lens hood is too tight (made for a slower lens or a longer focal length). Did you mount the hood on the filter? If you post a photo or two maybe someone can give you more detailed advice.
Other odd visual effects can be caused by filters or particles on the lens (front element, inside, or back side) or even on the camera sensor (though, in this case its probably not the sensor/film)
Now, vignetting used to be popular, then it wasn't, now some people add it digitally, and some hate it.. its not a terrible fault to have some vignetting and people's preferences are quite random
05-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens hood issue.

I believe I may have this one figured out. Using the lens in the Macro position, the lens hood was out too far. I will try to take another roll with the lens hood on, but not extended. If this does not do the trick, I will have to purchase a dedicated lens hood.

Many thanks for your response.

Regards,

Tony