Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #1

Need help with wireless remote

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone, I have a K7 and am trying to find a wireless remote that will be compatible with my camera. Do you know where I can get one and one that is for MY camera? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for by google searching. I'm not sure which type I can purchase. I need this really bad! If you know of an online store, please do tell. Thanks. Gina

05-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Gina,

There may be other remotes, but the one I know about is the Pentax remote F.
It seems to be available from many sources, but Adorama has it for $20 (after you add it to your cart) with free shipping.
Pentax Remote Control F 37377

I have one and it works fine for tripping the shutter of my K-7. The only problem is that it's so small, it's easy to lose!
There are some user reviews here:
Pentax Remote Control F reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
05-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by ginamaria Quote
Hi everyone, I have a K7 and am trying to find a wireless remote that will be compatible with my camera. Do you know where I can get one and one that is for MY camera? I can't seem to find what I'm looking for by google searching. I'm not sure which type I can purchase. I need this really bad! If you know of an online store, please do tell. Thanks. Gina
Sorry Gina, I do need to ask this - did you activate the IR remote on your K-7 body? You have to change the K-7's drive mode from normal release to IR release before it will pay attention to any IR remote release. I also recommend that you tie auto-focus together with the IR release. Otherwise you have to change the menu option to fire the camera regardless if it thinks the image will be focused. Hopefully I am not singing to the choir, but you can't just point an IR remote at the camera and have it work.

I was always of the understanding that all Pentax cameras with an IR receiver worked with any Pentax compatible IR remote. Certainly all the cheap IR remotes have worked with both my K-r and K-30. I've paid as little as US$1.65 including shipping for a Pentax compatible IR remote.
05-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This works with both my K-20D and K-30 IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K7 K5 K100D K110 K20D K200D K20 KR KX KM | eBay

05-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Hi Gina,

There may be other remotes, but the one I know about is the Pentax remote F.
It seems to be available from many sources, but Adorama has it for $20 (after you add it to your cart) with free shipping.
Pentax Remote Control F 37377

I have one and it works fine for tripping the shutter of my K-7. The only problem is that it's so small, it's easy to lose!
There are some user reviews here:
Pentax Remote Control F reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Thank you, I will look into that. I know some remotes only have a 15 ft reach, I would like to have one with more than that so I will go read up on that.
Gina
05-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Sorry Gina, I do need to ask this - did you activate the IR remote on your K-7 body? You have to change the K-7's drive mode from normal release to IR release before it will pay attention to any IR remote release. I also recommend that you tie auto-focus together with the IR release. Otherwise you have to change the menu option to fire the camera regardless if it thinks the image will be focused. Hopefully I am not singing to the choir, but you can't just point an IR remote at the camera and have it work.

I was always of the understanding that all Pentax cameras with an IR receiver worked with any Pentax compatible IR remote. Certainly all the cheap IR remotes have worked with both my K-r and K-30. I've paid as little as US$1.65 including shipping for a Pentax compatible IR remote.
Thanks Jim. I do know I will have to change some settings but until I get my hands on a remote....
Gina
05-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Ken. I'm looking for one that can reach further than 15 feet if at all possible. 30Ft would be better.

05-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by ginamaria Quote
Thanks Ken. I'm looking for one that can reach further than 15 feet if at all possible. 30Ft would be better.
Hi Gina-
The range you get out of any IR remote depends on the environment in which you use it. I would say that 30ft is will within the realm of probability if you are indoors with no sunlight coming through windows. Our sun emits a lot of IR which interferes with the coded IR signal coming from nearly any IR based remote. It's like trying to see the light from a small flashlight when you have a powerful spotlight coming from immediately behind it.The stronger the sunshine and the more direct it falls on the receiver, the shorter the range. There are plenty of posts across Pentax Forums complaining about the short range when trying to take group shots at outdoor family events.

If your use is indoors, it should work fine. If your use is outdoors, you would be better served with a wired release or a radio controlled release that plugs into your wired port.

You have a K-7 with such a port. Sadly K-x nor K-r users do. Because of the lack of a wired port, I came up with this modification for my K-r:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html

Because the IR remote was immediately adjacent to the camera's IR receiver port, it worked flawlessly. I sold my wired IR remote when I sold my K-r as an enticement to buy. My K-30 has a wired port like your K-7, so I no longer needed my modified IR remote release. I DO have an IR remote release for my K-30. It works great - - - so long as I understand the limitations mentioned above.