Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I know you want a ball, but ProMediaGear makes indestructible gimbals that might suit you better, and they make a Tomahawk that is 1/2 a Gimbal.
Thanks! Some nice looking gear there.

If I could mount a panohead onto a gimbal and level everything, that might be a consideration. As it is, I use a Wimberley Sidekick for "gimbal-ish-ness" with my longer lenses (it seems the Tomahawk is similar) and it also requires a very sturdy ball head.

06-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Big Balls
I just think this is a cracking thread title, I smile every time I see it.
06-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I just think this is a cracking thread title, I smile every time I see it.
Well, I have been dreading the moment when somebody would utter the phrase "pictures please".....
06-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Well, I have been dreading the moment when somebody would utter the phrase "pictures please".....
Hey, I posted pictures! I've been waiting for the AC/DC reference... oh wait, I just did it:

06-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is good to hear, as I really don't like the look or function of the "new double-clamp standard" QR that current Arca-Swiss heads have. A kind of dual-layer dovetail, where the more common "arca-style" plates have to sit at the top, with a gap beneath them. This is the only real strike against the Arca Monoball in my opinion. I prefer to have my plates (all of them arca-style from various manufacturers) sitting directly on the clamp for maximum clamp and security. (Please note: I haven't done a FEA study on whether something is more secure when resting on a clamp surface and clamped, or just clamped and sitting above the surface, like the new Arcas!)

Which Benro was this?
Sorry, for replying late, we had a couple of off in Paris... The Benro was the KS-1. Still better made than the ubiquos Fancier FT-6665 ball head, which is impressive in size and sold under many brand names. They lock down the ball just with a screw, which damages the soft aluminium instantly...

Ben
06-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Sorry, for replying late, we had a couple of off in Paris... The Benro was the KS-1. Still better made than the ubiquos Fancier FT-6665 ball head, which is impressive in size and sold under many brand names. They lock down the ball just with a screw, which damages the soft aluminium instantly...
Yikes! This is what I experienced long, long ago with a "house brand" 3-way "fluid head" from Calumet Photo in Chicago. The salesman kept saying "for only $100 you can get a Manfrotto of the same size" and I went with the Cambo (?) which I found out used a screw into a plastic sleeve to stop the rotation, and no "fluid" at all. (Silly me. I thought "fluid head" meant it was suspended in oil or something...)

Last edited by panoguy; 06-07-2013 at 11:34 AM.
06-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yikes! This is what I experienced long, long ago with a "house brand" 3-way "fluid head" from Calumet Photo in Chicago. The salesman kept saying "for only $100 you can get a Manfrotto of the same size" and I went with the Cambo (?) which I found out used a screw into a plastic sleeve to stop the rotation, and no "fluid" at all. (Silly me. I thought "fluid head" meant it was suspended in oil or something...)
The "real" old Cambo tripod heads (Made in the Netherlands, I think) were a different story though. I wouldn't buy an old Cambo ballhead, but they have some nice studio heads for large format cameras. But that all predates Calumet.

Other good second hand ball heads would be wortth considering: Foba, of course the original Arca Swiss B1 etc.

Ben

06-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Having a big, smooth, friction-controlled ball is paramount! The other little details needed are: arca-swiss type quick release; screw-knob quick release platform (since I have plates from lots of manufacturers); less than 1kg in weight (2 lbs!); and it would be nice to have a pre-set tensioner (which the Markins doesn't have, but I'm interested in it).
I know it was not hand made by elves in the Black Forest but it works and it works well for anything I use a ball head for. At the time I bought mine (new) it was 100 bucks.
It's a real brute and easily and smoothly controls anything I have put on it. But then, thankfully, I'm at a certain age where the size of my balls is not much of an issue.

Amazon link:
Amazon.com: Vanguard ABH-340K Semi-Elliptical Ball Head (Black): Camera & Photo

This is a review of a smaller model than the one I got.
Vanguard ABH-230L Semi-Elliptical Ball Head Review at DentonImages.com

Last edited by wildman; 06-10-2013 at 12:34 PM.
06-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #24

I'm the distributor for FLM products in Canada and the USA; thanks for mentioning us in your quest for a big ball

Our largest ball head, the CB-58FTR, is 58mm, and supports 60kg (132lbs).

I recently sold one to a gentleman who uses a 20x24 camera (20x24 inches, that is) which weighs 37lbs without a lens, so maybe that ball head is more than you need

The CB-58FTR weighs in at about 700g (1.7 lbs) and features a hollow ball; other ball heads in the series are smaller, lighter, and with a corresponding lower load capacity.

Our smallest head, the CB-38FTR, is rated for 25kg (55lbs).

Our ball heads are available with only pan and friction memory knobs, or with additional features, such as the afore-mentioned tilt lock and PRS knob (clicks at every 15˚ while in panning mode).

I do invite anyone to try our ball heads; as a working photographer, I believe they are the best currently available.

And fwiw, I met panoguy at the recent Exposure show in Toronto and I did demo some of our ball heads for him.