Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price different on two versions of Pentax D-Li90

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The official battery for the K-7/5/5II/5IIs, K-01, and 645D is the D-Li90 and there are now two versions of that battery. The differences have been discussed here and involve the addtion of another contact for safety and battery regulation issues. The focus of this post is on the pricing difference between the two. The new one is listing as $9.05 more at B&H.

D-LI90(E) Lithium-Ion Battery (7.2V, 1860mAh) <- New Battery
  • Compatible with K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-7, K-01 and 645D Digital Cameras
  • B&H # PEDLI90E
  • Mfr # 39993
  • You Pay: $49.00
<- Old Battery with 3 of 4 contacts

D-LI90 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1860mAh)
Fits Pentax K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-7, K-01, 645D Cameras
  • B&H # PEDL190
  • Mfr # 39830
  • You Pay: $39.95

06-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The official battery for the K-7/5/5II/5IIs, K-01, and 645D is the D-Li90 and there are now two versions of that battery. The differences have been discussed here and involve the addtion of another contact for safety and battery regulation issues. The focus of this post is on the pricing difference between the two. The new one is listing as $9.05 more at B&H.

D-LI90(E) Lithium-Ion Battery (7.2V, 1860mAh) <- New Battery
  • Compatible with K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-7, K-01 and 645D Digital Cameras
  • B&H # PEDLI90E
  • Mfr # 39993
  • You Pay: $49.00
<- Old Battery with 3 of 4 contacts

D-LI90 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1860mAh)
Fits Pentax K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-7, K-01, 645D Cameras
  • B&H # PEDL190
  • Mfr # 39830
  • You Pay: $39.95
This one has 4 contacts and it's only $19.95

Watson D-Li90 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1800mAh) B-3704

Too bad the voltage ratings are different, for if they were the same, I'd be willing to bet that the internal hardware was exactly the same in the OEM battery as in the third-party one. That's the case with many other batteries, such as those for Pentax point and shoots and Nikon DSLRs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This one has 4 contacts and it's only $19.95

Watson D-Li90 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1800mAh) B-3704

Too bad the voltage ratings are different, for if they were the same, I'd be willing to bet that the internal hardware was exactly the same in the OEM battery as in the third-party one. That's the case with many other batteries, such as those for Pentax point and shoots and Nikon DSLRs.
It's getting complicated out there with the new regulations on regulating the battery and greater communication between the batteries and the electronics using them. I have the Wasabi replacements for the D-LI90 and haven't had any problems in my K-5, K-5IIs, or K-01 with them. They work in the camera body or in the grip just fine for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-Pentax/dp/B004UR7250/ref=...=wasabi+d-li90
I like that kit because you get 2 batteries plus the charger that has folding prongs (stores more easily than the Pentax charger with cord) plus a cord for car charging if you want and all for $27.
06-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have the Wasabi replacements for the D-LI90 and haven't had any problems in my K-5, K-5IIs, or K-01 with them. They work in the camera body or in the grip just fine for me. http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-B...=wasabi+d-li90 I like that kit because you get 2 batteries plus the charger that has folding prongs (stores more easily than the Pentax charger with cord) plus a cord for car charging if you want and all for $27.
Same. The Wasabi work great and I like that the charger can plug directly into the wall instead of needing a cord. More compact and better for travel.

06-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Forum Member

Wasabi

Agree on the Wasabi batteries.

Have been using them for some time now with absolutely no problems. Use them interchangeably and along with my original Pentax batteries in both my two K-5 bodies and battery grips, as well as my K-01. No compatability problems whatsoever. Much less expensive and more convenient than the OEM batteries, with no apparent difference in power life or performance.

I have not comparison tested this, but it seems to me that both the original OEM Pentax batteries and the Wasabi batteries seem to charge faster in the Wasabi charger than in the Pentax charger, as well.

Totally sold on the Wasabi batteries and charger system. Heck of a deal.

The only thing I haven't tested is how long it takes to charge a battery using the car plug-in with the Wasabi charger. Haven't needed to use it.

Has anyone used this? With Wasabi or OEM batteries? If so, what were your impressions?
12-31-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Where are you guys getting a wasabi d li 90 battery? eBay? Bh? Ad? Amazon? Who should I trust?
12-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Where are you guys getting a wasabi d li 90 battery? eBay? Bh? Ad? Amazon? Who should I trust?
Amazon

01-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a Wasabi battery on Amazon a while back. It's really great. It does last longer than the OEM one, but I can't say how much longer precisely. I know I can go a few days of full shooting without need for a recharge.
01-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fliegenfischer Quote
Amazon
Fantastic. Ordered. Ill review in a year.
02-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I got me some of these recently I have not fully tested the life for them and such yet, but will keep you updated.
The ones I got from this listing are 2700 not 2100 mAh, got lucky on order mix up? The brand I got are High Voltage Technologies, they have the logo on the battery.
$18 for a pair.

D LI90 DLI90 Battery X2 Bonus for Pentax K 01 K 5 K 5II K 7 645D K 5IIS | eBay

Last edited by Pentaxguy22; 02-19-2014 at 09:39 AM.
02-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Love the batteries. They work well so far ( about 2-3 months into use) they hold a charge long enough for 2 (3HR) shoots for real estate. If only my flashes lasted this long.
01-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #12

Hello, wondering if you still like the batteries after a year. I've got a K-3 and am looking at getting some spares for traveling since I'm not sure how often I'll be able to recharge. TIA!
01-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I still like my Washabi batteries after a couple of years. I've had them since I got my K-5 in 2012.
12-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The past few outings in about 35F to 45F outings I have gotten very short battery life from Washabi. I have started taking 4 or 5 batteries for a three hour outing. Do batteries loose their ability to maintain a charge in cool weather as the batteries age? I feel I got longer life last year. I am thinking of trying the Watson batteries from B&H. Does anyone have experience comparing the Washabi versus the Watson batteries versus Pentax batteries, especially in cold weather.
My guess is that Pentax buys these from one of the companies that provide off brand batteries and do not manufacture their own batteries.

I have also used a pouch with a hot hands packet to keep the batteries warm during my outings.

Any help appreciated.
12-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
a pouch with a hot hands packet
I adapted a pair of unused, battery powered, heated socks for use in keeping batteries and other gear warm. Just one in the bottom of a reasonably insulated bag can make a big difference. Buffers temperature/humidity changes when slipped over a lens.

Much more utilitarian than inside boots. Heck, you can even slip 'em on your hands like mittens or put one in the kangaroo pocket of your parka or wrap one around your neck if the need strikes! Kids think it's cool - uh, warm? too.