Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two-screw QR Plate for Tamron 300/2.8 60B

I am new to monster-sized lenses and so I used a single-screw plate to mount my newly acquired Tamron 300/2.8 60B on a Gimbal head. I noticed that the lens rotated a bit despite the single screw being well tightened. So, I am trying to find an Arca Swiss compatible plate with not one but two screws, to more securely hold the lens on the head.

I found this plate:

at B&H. Wonder if it would work.

Would anyone happen to know of a specific 2-screw plate that would fit this Tamron?

Thanks!

Andy

06-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The plate in the image you posted isn't long enough I think. You want a longer plate so you can properly adjust the balance of the lens/camera on your gimbal head. You need the ability to slide the camera/lens combo forward and/or back so it will balance.

Here is a great source for lens plates and related gear. Having the 2 mounting screws is the only way to really secure the plate to the lens mount.

Plate w/o ridge : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs
06-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stan, thank you for the advice, a longer plate makes a lot of sense. Since I couldn't find a picture of it anywhere, here is a close-up of the tripod collar base for the 60B

Btw, I emailed Hejnar Photo about the plate, will post if any results.
06-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Just look a few minutes on eBay. You will find plenty of plates for your needs. I got one for my 60-250, all of 5$ shipped. It's very high-quality, durable. There's nothing fancy involved with QR plates, anyone with the right tools can make one.

I've even seen some with one fixed screw and one adjustable screw. This type would suit you well.

06-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You also need to find screws with small heads so you can fit them so close together. I managed to do it on the 65B -- I think it is the same collar.
06-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You also need to find screws with small heads so you can fit them so close together. I managed to do it on the 65B -- I think it is the same collar.
you could also search for a step-down screw that will fit the larger threaded hole to be able to use two of the same screw size (hint: ebay search tripod screw adapter) - then you'll just need a longer plate with a long screw run down the middle, those are quite common.
06-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated. Btw, I got a reply from Hejnar Photo:

"Second screw is probably 3/8-16
You have two options
1) plate with ridge and use 1/4-20 to keep it steady
Plate with ridge : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs
voofmvnmrug78ca1809eb5fkt7
2) Plate without ridge and use bushing to convert 3/8-16 into 1/4-20 hole
Plate w/o ridge : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs
voofmvnmrug78ca1809eb5fkt7

I do not have plate with 1/4 and 3/8 screws.
It can be done but will take some time"

06-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
you could also search for a step-down screw that will fit the larger threaded hole to be able to use two of the same screw size (hint: ebay search tripod screw adapter) - then you'll just need a longer plate with a long screw run down the middle, those are quite common.
Yeah, I don't think I've seen any plates with a "run" that allow for 3/8 sized screws so you do have to adapt the big hole. I have a bushing adapter in the big hole on mine and two identical 1/4 screws. The plate is a Desmond cheapie -- works fine.
06-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, I don't think I've seen any plates with a "run" that allow for 3/8 sized screws so you do have to adapt the big hole. I have a bushing adapter in the big hole on mine and two identical 1/4 screws. The plate is a Desmond cheapie -- works fine.
Maybe this one + a bushing would work..

06-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah, that should work fine. Don't get "Dot Line" bushings -- horrible. The Manfrotto ones are good. Now get two screws with smallish *round* heads -- the hex ones will bang into each other.
06-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually if you use a plate with a ridge as Hejnar suggests, it will be fine. The only drawback from that is you have to install the plate all the way to one end to take advantage of the ridge on the plate coming up against the tripod mount so it can't twist.

I use a single screw plate on my Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) which has a pretty long foot, and haven't had a problem with it twisting. I just make sure it is good and tight - but not so tight that I might strip something. If you gimbal head is balanced properly and loose like it should be, I don't see how you could put enough pressure against the plate to make it twist.

Looking again at your 60B tripod mount, I see there isn't a lot of surface area on the mount to mate with the plate. I would say that either the 2 screw mount or plate with a ridge will be necessary.
06-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Looking at my 65B now, I see the collar plate is actually quite big -- the screws are actually quite far apart and it is no trouble. But the my 31A has a short plate on the collar and desperately needed a long Arca plate to achieve proper balance, so that's the one I was thinking of where the screw heads are basically touching.

If you get one with a ridge, measure precisely how long you need it to be -- you don't want it to extend past the focusing ring (probably) because it will interfere with the little thumb-screw tension thing. (I say probably cause I don't know what the balance is like on the 60B.) I have a 140mm on the 65B extended all the way out (and I'd have to back it up a centimeter if it had a ridge) and wouldn't want it to be longer, so you can probably get something shorter than that. I'll post some pics.
06-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

65B (left): not so bad
31A (right): need those rounded screw-heads (you can find smaller ones that are allen wrench style and will probably get tighter too)
Attached Images

06-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking at your pic of the 60B with plate screwed in and at the "naked" collar base.. it's almost hard to believe it's the same lens, the holes look so close together on the base,.

My Gimbal is the $99 version, so it's not super-smooth, the lens definitely twists with just one screw.

Thanks so much for such detailed advice, I think I now have a pretty good idea of what I need.
06-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It is not the same lens -- mine is the 65B 400/4. I thought it had the same collar (until I actually pulled it out and looked at it) but it is bigger than the 60B. The collar on the 31A on the right looks much closer to the 60B.