Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

campco safari photo vest question

I was looking at a picture of the campco safari photo vest and considering ordering it online. It looks very similar to my free Fujifilm vests from the '80s (or '90s, - whenever they gave them away.) I got 3 of the vests back then, and they've been very durable, but sadly my body shape hasn't prove as durable, so I'm looking for a larger one now.

Those Fujifilm vests needed a quick seam-ripper treatment to make one large lower-right-front pocket out of the two uselessly thin pockets they shipped with. Does anybody have one of the campco vests and can confirm that they ship with the two tiny pockets on the lower-right-front, and that you can still easily rip the center seam and end up with a usefully large pocket, without doing any other damage?

I'd appreciate any other vest suggestions. I'm only interested in a fairly light vest, not one of the armor-plated vests with hefty padding. The two large bottom front pockets, with velcro, are my main requirement. Thanks

Paul

06-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #2

Hi Paul -

You might want to check out Duluth Trading Company's Lightweight Working Man's Vest. It looks like it would be very light and yet durable with enough pockets for most applications. I don't have one personally, but I have been considering it. I have several other items from Duluth Trading and they've all been very good quality and very tough.

BTW - I am not associated with Duluth Trading in any way - just a satisfied user of some of their products. YMMV.
06-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Paul,
I got this vest (Campco/Humvee) last year as a gag gift from my wife(she thought I would look as dorky as Will Ferrell in land of the lost), and it has turned out to be one of my favorite photo accessories. I really like it and until looking at the link, did not realize it comes in other colors, so I am going to get another.

My vest can carry a full landscape rig of primes actually, which was surprising to me because sometimes, I leave the backpack or hard case in the car and just load the vest and hit the trail. As I am traveling out of town through Friday night, I cannot look at the space between those two pouches but I seen to recall there is a gap between them, possibly two seams in a continuos piece of fabric or maybe two separate pieces individually seamed. That said, those two seemingly narrow pouches are where I keep my FA77 with a large metal hood on it, and my FA31 with a hood. The 77 is a little tight but works nonetheless. The reason I thought there is a divider is because unless I am jogging or really stepping hard, the two lenses do not bang around into each other very much. I have also stuffed a microfiber towel in the zipper pouch behind those two lenses which separates them a little for some added padding. In that vest, I also carry my sigma 10-20, a full stack of filters, DA15, DA21, FA43, headlamp, extra battery, intervallometer, gloves, knit cap, whistle, hand warmer packets,and my cell phone in the inside long pocket.
The only complaint I have about the build of the vest is that the pocket lining material is like the thinnest nylon material I've ever seen and the stitching can tear or come loose. Thus, my wife helped me by ironing on some no-sew webbing tape to reinforce some of the pockets.
I am sure I am overloading my vest but it is so darn handy to reach in and grab my lenses, even in the dark, since I know where everything is at all times.
06-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgrosvold Quote
Hi Paul -

You might want to check out Duluth Trading Company's Lightweight Working Man's Vest. It looks like it would be very light and yet durable with enough pockets for most applications. I don't have one personally, but I have been considering it. I have several other items from Duluth Trading and they've all been very good quality and very tough.

BTW - I am not associated with Duluth Trading in any way - just a satisfied user of some of their products. YMMV.
Thanks very much for that suggestion. I'd been looking for vests and found lots of models, but not that one.

Paul

06-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Paul,
I got this vest (Campco/Humvee) last year as a gag gift from my wife(she thought I would look as dorky as Will Ferrell in land of the lost), and it has turned out to be one of my favorite photo accessories. I really like it and until looking at the link, did not realize it comes in other colors, so I am going to get another.

My vest can carry a full landscape rig of primes actually, which was surprising to me because sometimes, I leave the backpack or hard case in the car and just load the vest and hit the trail. As I am traveling out of town through Friday night, I cannot look at the space between those two pouches but I seen to recall there is a gap between them, possibly two seams in a continuos piece of fabric or maybe two separate pieces individually seamed. That said, those two seemingly narrow pouches are where I keep my FA77 with a large metal hood on it, and my FA31 with a hood. The 77 is a little tight but works nonetheless. The reason I thought there is a divider is because unless I am jogging or really stepping hard, the two lenses do not bang around into each other very much. I have also stuffed a microfiber towel in the zipper pouch behind those two lenses which separates them a little for some added padding. In that vest, I also carry my sigma 10-20, a full stack of filters, DA15, DA21, FA43, headlamp, extra battery, intervallometer, gloves, knit cap, whistle, hand warmer packets,and my cell phone in the inside long pocket.
The only complaint I have about the build of the vest is that the pocket lining material is like the thinnest nylon material I've ever seen and the stitching can tear or come loose. Thus, my wife helped me by ironing on some no-sew webbing tape to reinforce some of the pockets.
I am sure I am overloading my vest but it is so darn handy to reach in and grab my lenses, even in the dark, since I know where everything is at all times.
Thanks very much for the tip about the pocket lining. If you get a chance to look at that lower pocket, to see if removing the stitching would make that pocket into a single larger pocket, please let me know. Based on my fujifilm vest, the two pockets were't that useful for me. I think some of my 52mm (plus hood) FD primes might have just barely fit in one side, but it was more helpful to have the single pocket with much faster access.

Paul
06-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
you're in luck. the center seam can be unstitched to make a single big pocket.
06-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
you're in luck. the center seam can be unstitched to make a single big pocket.
Thanks very much!