Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eye-fi card questions

So I bough the 8G Mobi card the other day as I have wanted one for a while. This is the one I got HERE

So set up was easy on the card and my iPhone - it does seem to work as promised and only had one weird time where it did not seem to work right of course when showing someone how it worked

I got the card because I do post a lot to Facebook and Twitter regarding things happening in the city I live. Thought would be nice to be able to use my Pentax instead of the iPhone for some of this. Figured I would set the K5 to shoot Raw+Jpg - If I got a shot I wanted to share right away - I could load up the APP connect to the camera and post away. This way a much better shot of whatever it is.

With the above situation my questions/problem are below:

Say I take 50 pictures with the K5 I decide I want to use one of them - You have to wait for (at least the model I have) the card to load ALL 50 to the iPhone/iPad. Almost wish there was a way to select the couple or have a smaller quicker version load to iPhone then pick what one I really want to bigger file of.

As it is loading the files to the eye-fi app it is also loading all those "files/Pictures" to you camera roll on the iPhone. The added bonus of this is if the Mobi card and you have streaming photos set on the iPhone it will send to the spots you have selected. Like you computer or iPad. So you don't have to move that JPG again.

So I figured with K5 set to RAW+JPG ( I honestly usually have set to RAW so this was a little new) I would have two files saved on the card. I figured I would use what ever jpg to load away to Facebook etc. but could go back and unload the rest of the files and edit as I want in Lightroom. This sounds great but first issue, the card will not read in the DYNEX reader i have had forever and never had an issue with. So even if I want to look at the files, I can't. I keep hearing that this is an issue with some readers. I also wonder if it is with this type of card?

Does anyone else have this model card or the Pro X2? I do not have a need to really unload the RAW files wirelessly but would like to at least use the card reader.

thanks in advance for any info.

06-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #2

I also have an Eye-Fi (4Gb Connect X2) but I use it when shooting studio portraits or product photos so I can view a larger image in the iPad. I also shoot RAW+JPEG so I can process the RAW in Lightroom for the final client images and view the JPEG on the iPad.
What you might try is to use the lowest resolution/quality JPEG available (in RAW+JPEG) to make the transfer of the images as fast as possible and then do an in-camera raw conversion to a better quality and more resolution JPEG for the one you really choose to upload. As you save the new JPEG it should transfer to your device.

As for the card reader, mine works fine with a small Targus card reader, although when I bought the card it came with it's own Eye-Fi card reader, so I usually use that card reader instead (it's faster). It is indeed an issue and not all card readers are compatible, although it's not much of an issue with newer card readers. I would recommend you get a newer reader that is compatible (it will most likely be faster anyways, and most card readers are not very expensive).
06-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, the EyeFi "let's differentiate our products by screwing over out customers and artificially limiting some of them from sending RAW over WiFi" is /really/ annoying, for sure.

I have a mobile (drat! - bought before I knew better) and two X2 Pro - but they all work in a regular SD card reader without difficulties.
06-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I actually got in touch with them via twitter and Facebook. They want to talk more and say the card shoud work, pro or not, in my card reader. Stay tuned.

06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you can mark the ones you want to send up by marking them as "readonly" or something quirky like that? Can't remember the details though...
06-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I think you can mark the ones you want to send up by marking them as "readonly" or something quirky like that? ...
This is correct. You have to go through the PC software to set it up, but there is an option to upload only when an image is protected. You also can control whether to automatically send to FB/Flickr or do that step manually.
06-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Banned

I just received the new 8GB Mobi Eye-Fi card from Eye-Fi today and just tested it with my Sony NEX-3N and 64GB Verizon 4G LTE iPad . It uploads the photos very fast and after viewing them I deleted the test shots using the iPad photo app. I also have the 8GB Eye-Fi Pro X-2 that I have set up to upload to Flickr.
06-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am liking the card. They did send a replacement and it will not work with my card reader. I have given up and pulled out the cord for te K5 to Mac to download files. It is very slow doing it this way. I will use the card sparingly I think. I really like having it for off loading a shot I want to upload to FB on the fly.

I am ure I the manual and or I read here but will ask here as well. Can I set to RAW on the K5 but if I see one I like convert a file to JPG while in the K5?

This would make the process way easier for getting 1 or 3 shots from card to iPhone if was only a couple Jpg files verses I shoot 30 shots and want the last one but the app loads all 30 before the 1 I want. That could take easily upto 5-8minutes (I know I am spoiled) but this particular card only reads JPG files to iPhone. So again if I can convert a couple would really speed the process.

07-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
vievetrick:
It's the opposite on the K-5...you can retrieve the RAW if you shot a JPEG you like and want the extra dynamic range:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/142215-jpeg-raw-conversion.html

For the eye-fi, I know some have mentioned it but it bears repeating again. Set your camera to shoot RAW+JPEG and set it to SMALLEST JPEG. That's the only way you'll get reasonable transfer speed...
07-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kenyee
07-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
vievetrick:
It's the opposite on the K-5...you can retrieve the RAW if you shot a JPEG you like and want the extra dynamic range:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/142215-jpeg-raw-conversion.html

For the eye-fi, I know some have mentioned it but it bears repeating again. Set your camera to shoot RAW+JPEG and set it to SMALLEST JPEG. That's the only way you'll get reasonable transfer speed...
Using an X-Pro, IIRC, You can set the card to transmit only "Protected" files - i.e. image files you have Protected in-camera. When you open the Eye-Fi app on your computer or device only those "marked" files will transfer whether Direct Mode to your device or to your Eye-Fi Account. You can then transfer a limited number of larger jpeg's (but why would you want larger for web posting anyway?).

I only use Direct Mode to my phone, tablet or laptop, one device at a time (I have to turn the other two completely off or the card hangs)