Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cheap tripod spikes, should fit most models

Owning Gitzo equipment is like owning a luxury or sports car--parts are expensive. The best price I could find on a set of spikes was like $55, used. No.

It seems like most tripods out there have 3/8" threads at the bottom. Lots of accessories are only listed for specific tripod models, so you don't really know if they're 3/8" or not.

Shopping around B&H's used department, behold, the Induro AWS-KIT for $4.99 plus shipping ($28 plus shipping new). I purchased a 9+ condition kit but the listing has been live for the past few weeks...

For about $10, you get a nice pouch with a belt loop on the back and another loop on the side. A 10mm and 13mm dual-ended wrench plus 2 Allen keys are included.

Hope it helps someone!

06-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Owning Gitzo equipment is like owning a luxury or sports car--parts are expensive.
No kidding. Try finding an M6 threaded center column hook!

Good find with the Induro spikes. I think Feisol also makes and sells spikes like this...
06-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The one addendum to this discussion I should add, I think: I note that Gitzo supplies washers with their spikes. The "spacer" around the actual threads in the tripod legs are plastic, so I'm going to find some washers at the hardware store since the narrower spike head could damage the plastic.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
No kidding. Try finding an M6 threaded center column hook!

Good find with the Induro spikes. I think Feisol also makes and sells spikes like this...
Funny you should mention that, as my tripod didn't come with one. Another find on B&H's used site, a ground level kit for about $30. I see used Safe Lock Discs on Amazon for $30 by themselves.

I also have two more pieces of Gitzo goodness on the way this week...basically stole the one, we'll see about the other That's for the Recent Acquisition thread though...