Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Katz Eyes?

Because I have a lot of MF lenses that I use on my D, I'm currently looking for a new screen...

Has anyone a Katz Eye and what or the conclusions. Would you buy it again? How about the opti bright treatment: is that a real plus?

I know about the China made cheapo's, but if I am to buy a screen, it should be perfect and above all, you can order the Katz Eye with a grid, which I am inclined to...

Hope to find as much information as possible...

03-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

you will not regret it.
03-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I have a Katz Eye, although it does not have the micro prism for manually focusing. I does have the grid and the optibrite. I just love it! It has made a huge difference for me and would get one again in a heartbeat. I have read many posts from people that do have the micro prism for focusing and I do not remember any complaints. They all seemed to be very pleased.

In addition, the company and it's co-owner Rachel Katz, were a pleasure to deal with.

Robin
03-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
Hi,

I have a Katz Eye, although it does not have the micro prism for manually focusing. I does have the grid and the optibrite. I just love it! It has made a huge difference for me and would get one again in a heartbeat.
In what makes it a huge difference? Is MF (without the micro prisms) improved?

03-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
In what makes it a huge difference? Is MF (without the micro prisms) improved?
split image.
03-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Forum Member

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I did not get the prism for manually focusing because can't do that. I could not focus the Hubbel telescope! But, the screen is definately an improvement over the original as it is clearer and brighter and I LOVE the grid lines. It is just a pleasure to put it up to your eye.

People here and on other forums who do a lot of manual focusing all seem to be very pleased with the micro prism screen to which you can additionally add the grid lines.

Robin
03-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have one with the micro prism, pano lines (to help with level horizons), and optibrite. I absolutely love it. It's much better than the stock screen. It's a joy to use.

03-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Txs evryone. Very helpfull information. I'm almost there. The only question left: with or without Opti Bright? Would the Opti Bright treatment make that much of a difference?
03-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Forum Member

Marc,

I would suggest you email Rachael Katz. She is VERY helpful and can explain, better than I, the pros and cons of the Optibrite treatment. I believe the only real con is the cost but she can detail for the benefits. She was very upfront about it. I believe that the biggest benefit is found if you tend to use slow lenses.

I did opt for it because I do have some slow lenses and my eyesight is poor so I thought anything that improved the screen the better.

Robin
03-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Txs Robin! Will do that...
03-16-2008, 07:15 AM   #11

I have tried both versions. I would suggest not getting the optibrite coating. Exposure accuracy on my K10D was off, and unpredictable. I have had no problems (other than needing a little +ev compensation for manual lenses) with the non-optibrite coated screen.

That said, the KatzEye is an amazing addition to your camera, as far as I am concerned, every DSLR should come with one. After using one on my DS, I had one for the K10D, even before the camera arrived. And, as others have said, Rachael is more than helpful, and I am sure she will be happy to answer any questions you have.
03-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I plunged. I took the full option: optibrite and rule of thirds gridlines. T-w-o-h-u-n-d-e-r-e-d-w-o-w! d$ll$rs is been accounted for... Shure hope it's worth the effort.

On a side note: I mailed Rachael of Katz Eye with the question if they could make a custom screen with only microprism circle or alternatively with a 45 degree micro prism. Neither of two requests could be satisfied:

QuoteQuote:
(...) Both the microprism circle and diagonal prism are good designs which I am sure would be welcomed by some of our customers. However, after studying the matter, we have reached the conclusion that we just don't have sufficient resources to pursue either of these new designs at this time. I will keep your email on file and if there are any developments regarding these designs, I will be sure to let you know. Thanks again for your interest and I am sorry we cannot meet your current needs.
Now, here is sth I don't understand... That microprism only screens would be an alltogether different matter, I can understand, but how difficult would it be to give the plastic a 45 degree before cutting it into a screen? I never understood in the first place why every brand is insisting on a horizontal split prism, since IMHO with a 45 degree split prism one can use both horizontal and vertical lines to focus on...

Och well...
03-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

About 70% of my shots were out of focus before I put the KatzEye in my K100 .. Now I may get one or 2 that are a little out. It has made a big difference in my Manual shooting. One of the best accersories I have bought.
03-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got a reply from her... Seems plausible.

QuoteQuote:
In principle, screens with a microprism circle or an angled prism are no
more difficult to make than any other design... assuming you are designing
from a blank piece of paper. For us though, being a much smaller volume
producer than the OEMs, we have to 'pick our battles' as they say and we
tried to pick the design that would suit the greatest number of customers.
I do realize the advantages to a 45 degree prism, but it also has its
disadvantages as well. Because of the way the human eyes and brain work, it
is more difficult to align the two prism halves if the target line crosses
at an angle. So while the angled prism will work in more situations, it
will be somewhat less precise in all of them. As I said, both are good
designs in the correct application - we just don't have the ability to
produce angled prisms within the constraints of the material, equipment, and
tooling we have available currently.
03-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am more than pleased with mine. I took it out yesterday with the K200/4 and the manual focusing was awesome, way way better than before. In fact I can't believe it. I love the microprism but not as big a fan of the horizontal split screen but it's still cool to have it there. I didn't know that it was more accurate than a diagonal and if this is true then I'm glad it's horizontal and will learn to work with it.
It was a cloudy day, not very bright and I was shooting more to the wide end and if anything I like the way the camera exposes now. I mean it may seem I'm getting maybe a third of a stop more exposure with this screen and my K10D needed it, it has always tended to the underexposed side of things. I wish I'd gotten this screen a year ago.
It's still a bit early yet but this screen appears to solve my most nagging problem with the K10D, manual focusing. I love manual focusing and love using the older manual lenses. I love their feel, their build quality. But it was getting to the point I was hesitant to pick them up because I'd lost confidence in my ability to focus them. After yesterday my confidence is building once more.
Mine has the Rule of thirds grid mainly to help me level the horizon. For awhile I thought I had the misaligned sensor problem thingy till I stopped and concentrated using the grid lines on my old screen. Sure enough, I must be cockeyed, if I THINK I'm leveled but don't confirm I'm usually off level.
I didn't get the Optic Bright treatment, man, it was just to expensive after this spending spree I've been on (which, unfortunately, has to end, but man it was fun while it lasted:-)).