Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #1

Metz 58 AF-2 for close Outdoor Portrait?

I would like to make some Portraits on a sunny day with pretty open F-Stop. Unfortunately the eyes and the area around them always tend to be dark, due to the natural way of daylight. I borrowed a Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2, but somehow i couldnt manage to use it proper. The open F-Stop makes it difficult for me to set the Flash right, my overall Feeling tells me that the Mecablitz is simply Overkill: to big, to strong, (and maybe the Flash area to far away from the Lens area, especially when i get close to my Object)

Does anyone has experiences and maybe Tips for the Mecablitz 58 AF-2? Is it good or bad for what i am aiming for? Are there better alternatives for my specific task?

best,
Kaiowas

06-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
you may want to move this to:
Pentax Flashes and Lighting Technique - PentaxForums.com
(I don't know how to move a thread - it may need to be done by moderators)

I am sure this flash would be OK. You'd want the flash to be away from the lens area - and the flash won't be "too strong" - 58 is the Max power, but it can cut that way back depending on the setting. But if shooting with an open F-stop, the power will help.
06-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #3

If you only need to illuminate a small area, you could try a flash modifier, like a snoot. Or you could cover part of the flash lens with cardboard or electrical tape to make the beam narrower.
06-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If your aperture is large, then you are probably past 1/180 for shutter speed. 1/180 is the fastest shutter speed you can use unless you do HSS.

06-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You might get better responses if you can provide more information:

Post an sample image (with EXIF intact).

What exposure mode (P, Av, M, etc)?

What flash mode (P-TTL, Auto, M)?
06-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the "para" menu on the 58, set it to -1 to -2 EV if you're shooting in pTTL or auto mode. If you're using the flash in manual mode, just back it off a stop or two. It goes all the way down to 1/256th power, so being "too strong" should not be an issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If your aperture is large, then you are probably past 1/180 for shutter speed. 1/180 is the fastest shutter speed you can use unless you do HSS.
This too. Shoot at your lowest ISO, but you may need a neutral density filter to bring your shutter speed down to sync speeds. Or put the flash in HSS mode, but be aware that it will cost you a lot of power. That may be ok in this situation however.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 06-12-2013 at 10:07 AM.