Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Marumi and B+W is all I'd want to put in front of my lenses - and only either pol or ND filters.

Having spend about 19 years of my youth living "oceanside" in a rather windy place, I've never had any problems with "sea water gunk" on my front element. Are you /really/ sure that you need a filter? Adding one uselessly increases flare and reduces contrast etc.....

06-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hoya's multicoated models are good.
06-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't use UV filters on a digital.
It can wreck your images and give you focus problems.

Last edited by chromo; 06-21-2013 at 03:49 PM.
06-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd rather clean salt spray off a UV filter than the front of a lens :-P

B&W MRC is what I'd suggest unless you have good experience w/ the Hoya HD coating. I have an old Hoya UV filter on a lens and found it hard to get smears of water off it. B&W MRC is muchhhh easier to clean in the field...

06-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reality is all the protection you need is already on the lens front element. The SP coating (Super protect) allows easy cleaning and repels water drops from extending on the glass surface. It is also scratch resistant. Also, being a sealed lens, you can pour water from the tap (at very low pressure, of course) to remove any salt or dust. I do it all the time with k-5 + DA18-55WR after trekking with the system for days or even a week. Mud, water, salt, sweat, fingers oil, dirt, food, etc.. it all gets to some part of the camera or lens.

If you really want the extra safety, IŽd go with the mentioned Hoya HD clear protection:
Hoya 77mm Hoya HD Clear Protection Glass Filter XHD77PROTEC B&H
06-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #21
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback. I will most likely put a clear filter on when I'm shooting on windy beaches or around the salt spray. I also plan to use this lens at horse shows where there can be lots of dust.
Cheers,
Rena
06-25-2013, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Uhh, what?

I've never heard of any focus problem and there is no reason at all why there should be. Regarding "wrecking images" it will not happen. Some degradation might happen if you use very low quality UV filters, but no wrecking

06-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

All my lenses have B & W except for a Marumi on the Tammy zoom.
06-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Marumi and B+W is all I'd want to put in front of my lenses - and only either pol or ND filters.

Having spend about 19 years of my youth living "oceanside" in a rather windy place, I've never had any problems with "sea water gunk" on my front element. Are you /really/ sure that you need a filter? Adding one uselessly increases flare and reduces contrast etc.....

Mostly the concerns I'd have is fine blowing sand, (that's kind of how I took note that those Heliopan coatings are kind of soft, actually. And if you're on a powerboat in the surf. On long teles a proper sized hood does most of the job anyway. )
07-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #25
Forum Member

I've used B&W filters over the years(~30 yrs) on all my Pentax lenses. Never an issue with them. Solidly built. I've used skylight, uv and circular polarizers.
07-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I use B+W filters either UV or clear. I've shot with filter in place and without filter on a number of different lenses. I've blown up photo's to 8 X 10 and I cannot discern any difference.

But B+W filters are highly regarded and very expensive. I also use the hoods.

I've been taking photos since 1968...using SLR's, DSLR's, Rangefinders, Medium formats. Years ago I earned my living photographing for a publishing company.

My advice....if you use a filter ...use a top notch one. No sense in putting a cheap piece of glass in front of an expensive lens.

I am very happy with my B+W filters.
07-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
I've never experienced that problem and I've used UV filters, as well as clear filters for years in front of my DSLR lenses/bodies.
10-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #28
Veteran Member

There's so many differing opinions on whether or not one should use filters.... I am starting to get pulled in each direction.

This is what I take away from this thread so far:

1. It's best to not use a filter if you don't have to or aren't putting your lens at risk of being damaged by flying sand, salt or other hazards.
2. If you need that protection, it's better to use a clear filter and not a UV filter (Unless you're shooting in extreme sunlight outdoors?)
3. If using filters at all, you should buy really good ones and not cheap ones.

So aside from B+W, are there any other filters that would be considered worthy? Hoya? Tiffen? If the filter costs $8-15, should we presume that it is not worth using?

It's hard to figure all this stuff out without specific tests being done comparing filter vs non-filter in the same conditions.
10-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Reality is all the protection you need is already on the lens front element. The SP coating (Super protect) allows easy cleaning and repels water drops from extending on the glass surface. It is also scratch resistant. Also, being a sealed lens, you can pour water from the tap (at very low pressure, of course) to remove any salt or dust. I do it all the time with k-5 + DA18-55WR after trekking with the system for days or even a week. Mud, water, salt, sweat, fingers oil, dirt, food, etc.. it all gets to some part of the camera or lens.

If you really want the extra safety, IŽd go with the mentioned Hoya HD clear protection:
Hoya 77mm Hoya HD Clear Protection Glass Filter XHD77PROTEC B&H
Yes, I have the DA*200. It's been on all 7 continents under all types of conditions and is doing just fine without a filter. The lens hood is really deep and offers adequate protection.
10-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've never experienced that problem and I've used UV filters, as well as clear filters for years in front of my DSLR lenses/bodies.
Ditto here. I've used B+W, Hoya, Tiffen, and ultra cheapo Zeikos & Green-L ones from eBay. So far, I haven't noticed much (if any) difference. The main thing is the clarity of the glass, not the name on the ring.