Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Best UV filter to protect front element

Just bought a beautiful DA*200 f/2.8 from a seller on this forum and I need to invest in a quality 77mm UV filter to protect the front element. Looking at various brands online and I'm looking for some guidance as to which brand is best to complement my new lens. What's your favourite and why. I welcome your response.

Rena

06-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you are shooting in a very harsh environment (salt water or sand spray), why would you want to degrade the image quality of such a fine lens with a filter?

Use the hood.
06-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Unless you are shooting in a very harsh environment (salt water or sand spray), why would you want to degrade the image quality of such a fine lens with a filter?

Use the hood.
I live beside the ocean with lots of salt spray and fine powdery sand. I plan to shoot a great deal near the water, especially later this summer when hurricane season kicks into high gear in my area.
06-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rena Quote
I live beside the ocean with lots of salt spray and fine powdery sand. I plan to shoot a great deal near the water, especially later this summer when hurricane season kicks into high gear in my area.
Makes perfect sense then. I'll let some others chime in since I don't have any experience with filters at all.

Actually sounds like an exciting shooting experience!

06-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is a review. Slightly old but still:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
06-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #6

I have a Hoya HD filter UV Digital in my bag that I'll use, I think it's a good filter. Mostly shoot without it since the hood give enough protection for my lens most of the time.
06-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have experienced some quality image improvement using a B&W UV filter coupled with long tele lenses (FA*400 and FA*600) used in harsh light situation (birding on seaside...). May be the relatively old optical design and coatings of these lenses doesn't block the UV.

06-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

something that won't bend and get stuck on your lens' filter ring
06-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

One purpose of UV filters was to limit the UV to which film was sensitive. Digital sensors are not sensitive to UV. So you might want to look at a clear filter, rather than a UV filter. I believe they are available with coatings too. This would also help avoid the warm color cast that all UV filters have, although with white balance, that is not so much of an issue as it was with film.
06-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Best UV filter for digital era is called "hood"
As for taking pictures when a hurricane kicks in... I think you need more than a filter on your lens... even if your gear is weather proof.
06-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Above +1.

Don't use a UV filter. Instead purchase an "Ultra Clear" protection filter. Hoya makes a good one. So do Tiffen and Marumi.

Example: Amazon.com: Tiffen 77mm Digital Ultra Clear Water White Protection Filter: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Hoya 77mm DMC PRO1 Clear Protector Digital Filter: Camera & Photo
06-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Theres a Hoya HD which is promoted a pretty much indestructable.

I prefer Filters with Brass ring thread so I go for B+W
I use their CPL, ND's and occasionally Clear Filters but only down at the ocean. If it's nice and sunny down near the ocean then CPL does everything.
Guess its not always sunny down at the ocean where you are though.
06-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used B+W IR cut 486 filter on my normal Pentax prime, they were pricy, but it did seem give a tack sharpness to the CMOS sensor cameras (now I went back to use K10D not that much different in IQ quality,) moreover, it is not for wide angle (24mm or wider) lenses
06-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
Pentaxian

All reports I've seen suggest that Marumi filters are the best bang for your buck. that being said, Hoya, Tiffen, Heliopan (if you've got too much money) or B+W (same comment) are all quite reliable. For a UV filter, even Promaster is good enough.
06-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

For those gritty-salty conditions I'd probably not go overboard on price, actually, you might want a pretty nice one to not-think about and possibly a cheapie that you don't mind sacrificing if you *know* you're dealing with blowing sand. (Also if there's likely to be droplets on your lens, one reason to have spare filters is cause it's quicker than trying to clean them. )

I'd avoid Heliopans for the purpose, historically they're optically very nice but the coatings are somewhat soft in order to accomplish this.

Definitely use that hood, though,