Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #16

I would just get a good camera backpack or bag then stuff that in the appropriate sized overboard type drybag.

06-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Ive used Voyageur (now Harmony) bags in BWCA, Quetico and canoeing around Isle Royale Park. Also have a small otterbox that I tend to rely on most. Harmony does make a small 30l barrel system that may work for you too. If you are going on a canoe trip ;may want to consider getting a waterproof camera like a pentax wp, or a full waterproof housing for the camera you are taking along, which can get pricey. The rain can be more invasive than the chances of capsizing and submerging things. After a few days of rain, it becomes hard to keep anything dry, if you want to use it all during the trip.. Ortlieb makes good gear too but I haven't used their camera bag myself. Still using the Voyageur quik draw bag i've had for quite awhile.

Last edited by thorn; 06-27-2013 at 06:18 PM.
06-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #18

Original Poster
Decision Made

I decided to order the Overboard Pro-Sports backpack and put my extra lenses in their cases for protection against banging around. A backpack style will be convenient for getting out of the canoe and hiking around. We will see how it works out. I can use the backpack for other things if it doesn't work out with my camera equipment so I guess it's worth the risk getting it. Hopefully it will be great for protecting my cameras though so I don't have to look for something else. Ordered it from B&H and should be here on Tuesday. Leaving on Wednesday for our trip, so I will be able to try it out. Thanks for all the suggestions posted. Ordered the Sigma 17-50 2.8 also, so I'm excited to try that out.
06-28-2013, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a standard dry bag, available in just about any outfitter's shop, and put my gear in that. Adding a block of styrofoam will insure it floats. I have never flipped my canoe or kayak with camera gear aboard so it's untested but it has worked and kept everything dry through some pretty big downpours and also splash water. Dry bags come in sizes from pocket camera and phone sized to duffel bag sizes which can hold a backpack.

I would suggest anyone wanting to take their photography to the water spend some research time on canoes and kayaks. Some are better and more stable than others. The ones built with fishermen in mind are also well suited to photographers as they are stable and have plenty of places to store your gear securely and still be available when you need it. Think wide with a flat bottom. Keep in mind that if you flip your canoe, it will most likely be a result of your own activity and if that is taking pictures, then your camera won't be in the bag. I would think twice about heading for rough water or white water with a camera that wasn't in a sealed case or with a camera like the WG 3.