Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Bag for K-r

I'm looking for a good bag for my Pentax K-r with kit lens + 2 other lenses.
What bags do you guys use? Any tips?

06-25-2013, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a K-r and two lenses I use a cheap lowepro bag with a shoulder strap. Its small, but it has a little padding and you can move the divider inside as you please. I can fill it up with quite a few prime lenses, but if you have any big lenses, it might be too small. (for example, my DA L 50-200mm fits, but the Samyang 14mm f2.4 is.. very snug and doesn't allow much else) I wish I could give you a model name, but I don't have it and I doubt its still available in stores anyway. Lowepro makes a lot of types of bags and they are generally good bang for buck for beginners. But with bags, its usually best to go to a store and bring your camera with you and just slide it in to see how it fits, which positions it can hold, and if it has space for any accessories and lenses. And also check things like zippers, materials, handles,..
06-25-2013, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Baggage?

Hello Andreas, Welcome to the Forum!
Regarding bags, the first thing you might want to decide is whether you want a bag that clearly announces "It's A Camera!" or something more incognito.
There are 2 schools of thought on this, I'm firmly in the "Camera Bag" camp. YMMV.
Having said that, my favorite small bags are the LowePro Adventura 170, a square, boxy design that hold a camera with small-to-medium zoom attached, plus two other compartments alongside the main one, each capable of holding a zoom or medium lens, a flash or perhaps a couple of sandwiches.
The best thing about the 170 (and other Advertura bags) is that the main compartment is heavily padded, with soft 'ears' that cradle and support the camera body with the lens sticking straight down. Sort of like a covered, padded holster. A smaller zipper front compartment is good for fliters and flat accessories. A shoulder strap and carry handle are included. It isn't the most obvious "Camera" bag either, just a tiny LowePro logo on the front. Around $40.00.
For a bit more room and identity flair, the official Pentax Sling Bag is a good choice. This is a teardrop-shape sling with the logo in bold red on the front.
3 main compartments, arranged vertically, the center one holds a camera with lens, the upper, smaller compartment can carry a flash, filters and small items.
Along the bottom is a good-sized space, I've gotten 3 short primes or two small zooms into it. Not as well-padded as the LowePro, but very handy and versatile.It comes with an additional waist strap for those rugged hikes. Several small pockets inside for SD cards, batteries and loose stuff. About $50.00
Good Luck!
Ron
06-25-2013, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1 for the Adventura 170. It's my grab and go bag with 2-4 lenses. For just the camera, I prefer the Lowepro Rezo, but it only holds the camera with whatever lens is already on it.

06-25-2013, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Tenba Messenger Large - My contents vary, but these days I am carrying:

ME Super
M85/2
couple rolls of film
Kr
DA*55
DA 21 Ltd
DA 50-200 WR
FA 35
AF 540 FGZ
spare Li Battery
set of Eneloops and adapter,
Filters in 49mm thread ND8, ND400, CPL,
Pens Pencils business cards,
a screw on "normal" metal lens hood.

There is a bit of room left over for a laptop and miscellaneous cables for business travel. I like the shoulder bag configuration for walking. I have had a Lowepro 300AW (still do) which is more suitable for a hike if a camera is all you are bringing. I loaded it with a Pentax 67 and filters and my Kr (for checking exposure values). For what its worth, I'd say go to a shop and try a few on. If you tell them what you are carrying, or for that matter bring some of your gear in, you will find the staff can usually land you in a size that is best fit.
06-25-2013, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I use the Lowepro Fastpack 350. The side access makes it function very similar to a sling bag but it has 2 shoulder straps.
Fastpack 350 Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

They even make a DSLR/Video version with a tripod holder.
DSLR Video Fastpack 350 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

Here is a great link to be able to compare the all makes and styles and sizes of bags.
Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

Tim
06-25-2013, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Consider the Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW. Adequate room for 1 body, mounted lens, and 2 more moderately sized lenses like the 55-300. If you are using small primes you can fit more. Upper pouch is good for accessories like flash, batteries, O-GPS1.

The nice thing about the Slingshot series is that it can be worn on your back or front. There's an extra strap to keep it in place on your back for hiking and biking. Front access makes it easy to change lenses, plus it's good in museums that don't allow backpacks.

06-25-2013, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by andreas_johansson Quote
My first question is how you will use the bag, and does the bag have to carry more than just photo gear?
  • If I am mainly going by automobile to shoot at a fixed spot, I like big open shoulder bags or back packs that I can set down and work out of.
  • If I am flying, simultaneously taking computing equipment AND will be on my feet a lot and want immediate access to my gear, I use a messenger style bag and add a waist belt to keep it from flopping around.
  • If I have to travel light with just photo gear, I pack down to a smaller bag that can work either as a shoulder bag or hip bag. I try to think through my probable shooting opportunities and agonize over which pieces of gear go into that bag.

The moral of my story is you will likely eventually acquire multiple bags, but you need to think through and define your more immediate needs before getting caught up in this brand versus that brand.
06-25-2013, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow Great that was alot of answers to look into. I like the idea of the Pentax sling bag. If you have a pentax you should show it even if it's in the bag .
I'm would like a bag that fits some other non camera stuff so I don't have to carry two bags. Stuff like phone etc, but I think there are some other pockets on all bags for that kind of things.
I sometimes ride my bike and it would be nice to take the camera with me. I have two big leather bags on the bike, but I don't want to put the camera right in the bags.
So far I just have the 18-55 kit lens, a SMC FA 28-70 f/4 and a M 50mm f/1,7. but I hope to get som more (maybe I got LBA or whats it called)
Thanks guys for all the great tips. So far I rally like this forum I will sure look into them all
06-25-2013, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andreas_johansson Quote
The smallest Billingham Hadley will do fine and leave some space for accessories, without being bulky. We have two those bags and they are really among my favourites.

Ben
06-25-2013, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently picked up an Ape Case Pro 1400 ( Ape Case Pro DSLR Camera Case, Large ACPRO1400 ) for my K-30 and lenses etc. and I've been very pleased with it. Lots of room to expand into it with more gear down the road plus lots of pockets. It's very well made and extremely good value for money IMHO.

Don't let the photo on the website above fool you as it's considerably deeper front-to-back than that photo suggests. I was actually surprised by the size when it arrived despite double-checking the dimensions with a tape measure prior to ordering. It's a great way to keep all your gear together but I am now thinking it may be a bit of a bind to carry around for long periods.

As others have said having a couple of options may be the way to go with a larger bag to store the equipment and a smaller one for trips,
06-25-2013, 10:48 PM - 2 Likes   #12

I'm new to all this too but after reading reviews and threads all day I think I will be getting the Domke F-8 :Amazon.com: Domke 700-80D F-8 Small Shoulder Bag - Olive Green: Camera & Photo for my pentax
I think its worth a look - what do the veterans think?
06-26-2013, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One-Lens Bag?

Hello iinxy, Welcome to the Forum!
Domke's are great bags, and the one you linked appears to have good padding for a single camera.
But, if you have a typical DSLR body and (for example) the kit zoom, that's ALL you'll be able to carry. In the photo showing a camera/lens with another lens alongside it, appears to be two small primes. In the other photos showing a Nikon body with a normal zoom, it takes up the entire compartment.
So, unless you plan on ONLY using the kit (or similar-size) zoom from now on, you'll need another, bigger bag. I suggest you invest the same amount in a true 2-lens plus body bag, any of the ones suggested so far would do.
A bag that's too small for your gear is useless.
JMO,
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 06-26-2013 at 07:18 AM.
06-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello iinxy, Welcome to the Forum!
Domke's are great bags, and the one you linked appears to have good padding for a single camera.
But, if you have a typical DSLR body and (for example) the kit zoom, that's ALL you'll be able to carry. In the photo showing a camera/lens with another lens alongside it, appears to be two small primes. In the other photos showing a Nikon body with a normal zoom, it takes up the entire compartment.
So, unless you plan on ONLY using the kit (or similar-size) zoom from now on, you'll need another, bigger bag. I suggest you invest the same amount in a true 2-lens plus body bag, any of the ones suggested so far would do.
A bag that's too small for your gear is useless.
JMO,
Ron
Hey Ron,
Thanks for the advice, although I'm more of a primes and street photography person, I realize getting a bigger bag is probably a good idea. I've decided to go with the domke f-5xb.