Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Manfrotto 055xprob tripod + 804rc2 head

I've been looking at this tripod combo for a while, and one of the local retailers has it at a price that most places sell just the tripod alone (~$200). In searching the web it looks like this combo has been discontinued. Anyone have any first hand thoughts on either the tripod and more specifically the head.

I'm fairly tall (6'4 / 190 cm give or take), and tend to shoot macro and the odd landscape now and then. The main complaint I've heard about the tripod is the weight factor, which I'm not too concerned about.

Before I give into the "gotta buy something craving", I figured I'd post and see if anyone had thoughts on either the tripod or head, and what they might know about new stuff to come from Manfrotto.

Thanks.

06-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the carbon fiber version so I can't speak to the weight, I guess about 1.25 pound more. But I would recommend the tripod and especially the 'pro' column. I am 5' 7" and I usually extend the bottom section only about half way so I should thing height wise it would be OK. I put white paint marks on it so I know how far to extend each time. No idea about the head, I have an Acratech.

When my wife wanted a tripod she suggested I give her mine and then I could get a 'good' one. ( Yes, she is very special) But I declined and bought her the exact same model, so now we have two. That's the best recommendation I can give.
06-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had a Manfrotto model 055 aluminum since the mid-1980s. I have had to replace the leg section locks once. Other than that it is a tank. The center column reverses easily for macro and if you don't have time to do that the legs flatten down pretty darn low on their own. I love mine. But I would advise wrapping the legs in pipe insulation to prevent it digging into your shoulder and freezing of hands in the winter.

Jack
06-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have also had my 055model (the basic one) since 2000 or so. And still works fine. only thing I have done is lube it a few times so it runs smooth. But it is still going strong. It is a very strong series from manfrotto

06-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the 055xprob and really like it. I use it for a variety of shooting from indoors to outdoor close up work. Very well built and so easy to configure it into different positions.

Can't say anything about the head, but here are the review pages for both the tripod and the head:

Manfrotto 055XPROB reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Manfrotto 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with RC2 Quick Release & 200PL-14 QR Plate reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
07-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've used the combo of 804rc2 head and 294A3 legs for just over a year now.
Excellent bit of kit.
Can't comment on the legs you mentioned, but the head is excellent.
One thing I will say is that the head has taken a bit of abuse and been clumsily dropped twice and I'm happy to report that it is very tough and durable.
I remember having it leaned up against a wall on one occasion while packing my bag and it fell with a crash...just a scuff...gave it a bit of character.
Like you, the weight has never bothered me.
07-08-2013, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback all. I ended up buying the combo and managed to finally get it unpacked yesterday. The tripod is heavy, but fully extended it is very tall - enough that you can almost get an above the crowd shot, and certainly tall enough for me. The head is big - with all the levers attached it isn't the easiest thing to pack. But it seems to work well, and with the vertical rotation not fully locked, has a smooth enough movement to track slow moving kids.