Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manfrotto now manufacturing Arca-Swiss compatible clamps and plates.

06-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hooray! I was told about this (but not shown it) at a recent Photo Expo here in Toronto. The Manfrotto rep was kind of apologetic and said under his breath, "about d**n time!"

One of the reasons I discounted Manfrotto ball heads during my recent search was because it's a "special order" to get one without one of their quirky RC1, RC2, RC4, etc. proprietary quick release systems on top, so I could put an arca-compatible clamp on it. Gitzo (a Manfrotto company) makes some clamps like that, but Gitzo ball heads are generally crap compared to their tripods, so not worth it either way...
06-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's awesome...however, most Arca clamps use the "passive" method of safety stops in lieu of a spring loaded pin near the center.
Regardless, it's a great step in the right direction as I slowly change out my clamp system to Arca compatible.
06-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Regardless, it's a great step in the right direction as I slowly change out my clamp system to Arca compatible.
Why slowly?

You can get fine plates for a few dollars on eBay, and you don't need that many heads, now do you?

06-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Why slowly?

You can get fine plates for a few dollars on eBay, and you don't need that many heads, now do you?
06-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

Aha! That might explain why I'm seeing a lot of Manfrotto gear on sale, and why some systems like the 055xprob + 804rc2 head are listed as discontinued, even though I'm sure the tripod legs themselves aren't.
06-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have too many lenses/cameras and their accessories.

06-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

their heads still aren't that great but it's about time :-)
06-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
their heads still aren't that great but it's about time :-)
I agree! The only Manfrotto head I have is a 468MG that I converted from RC2 to Arca compatible with a Wimberley clamp years ago. I've not even considered Manfrotto for heads since, but have noticed that they've upgraded features in a number of heads in the past few years to ones I might have considered if they had offered Arca compatible clamps. They offer product support (parts and such) that many others don't, so this is good for the photographic community, and well overdue. At least I'd consider them in the future, but my support gear is pretty much sorted out (for now, at least).

Scott
07-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Docrwm, the link seems broken, I'm sure I'm missing a funny pun.