Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Okay, that didn't work. How do I imbed the photos?

03-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

at present i have the lowepro stealth reporter D100, does any one who knows this bag can you tell me if the slingshot
fits your gear better
is it more comfortable
is your stuff easily acessable

Dave
03-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Canada Rockies
can you get the K10d with the 50-135 mounted in the holding compartment
Dave
03-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
Okay, that didn't work. How do I imbed the photos?
Click on that little button that looks like a mountain range, that says 'insert image' and you should be prompted to enter the URL.

03-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
Canada Rockies
Dave
I am trying out configurations that will give the best flexibility, and had figured out this am that I could put the 16-50 DA* on the camera, create a separator for the DA* 50-135 which is as long as the 100 is deep, and put my macro in the front compartment. The M macro is very small, so it fits fine. This leaves the top compartment for my lunch. I might even be able to put a converter in with the macro.

I'll edit this post and post a snap as soon as my cell phone sends me the snap I just took. Guess I'll have to buy a K20D so I have another digital camera to take pictures of the K10D.

EDIT: Here two really bad cell phone snaps.

First image: The K10D with grip and 16-50 are on the left, the 50-135 is in the right side pocket. The lenses fit snugly, but without stretching anything. I do have to reverse the hoods. The second image below, a quick shot after I reconfigured with the 50-135 mounted on the body, has the 16-50 off the body, and the 50-135 on the body. I'll play with it, I think, and see if I can juggle things around so that the camera and lens are outside. That makes it easier to grab the camera without opening the hatch all the way. This is a bit tight, because the 50-135 mounted requires the camera/lens to fit vertically in the bag.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
1.2 MP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
1.2 MP  Photo 

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 03-21-2008 at 05:01 PM.
03-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #36
Forum Member

Alright, my AW 200 came today. I'm glad I ordered that one. In fact, I have it on and fully loaded right now.

For years I've been using a Tamrac messenger style bag (looks like it's discontinued). But I needed something for hiking/extended use situations, and for travel, so I could bring along my film body and all its accessories.

At first I was a little put off by the fit and feel, but then I loaded it up and adjusted it a bit more. I like it. Right now I have stuffed with a K10D w/ 18-55 mounted+ lens hood, a -M 50mm, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma 28-70mm, lens hoods for both the Sigmas, and some misc small items. In the top pocket I could fit my ZX-M, plus a few small items including the electronic cable. The smallest outside pocket has some pens, a small notebook, and lens tissue. This is great.

For short term, around the city use, I'd stick with my Tarmac bag, since that'll fit either camera, plus a mounted lens and one or two extra lenses. I like the Tarmac because it's lower profile and I can move it around more easily, but it doesn't carry well over extended periods.

I love all the pockets on the AW200, plus the little pocket to tuck away the support strap is great.

I've attached a cell phone image and you can kinda make out the 12" ruler across the bottom.
Attached Images

03-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Some of the worst images posted - What the hell is that? A Blurr-Bag? lolol

03-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Some of the worst images posted - What the hell is that? A Blurr-Bag? lolol

My cell phone doesn't have shake reduction
03-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
Canada Rockies
Dave
You may easily derive the answer from the measures I've given above:

SlingShot 100: 19 cm
SlingShot 200: 22 cm
SlingShot 300: 30 cm

with camera, so minus 6.5 cm for the body leaves you (rounded down):

SlingShot 100: 12 cm for mounted lens
SlingShot 200: 15 cm for mounted lens
SlingShot 300: 23 cm for mounted lens

Now, look up your lens dimensions and you are all set
03-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #40

For me the 200 was like the baby bears porridge, just right.
The 100 was too small for what I think I'll want to carry, and the 300 was just too big for my idea of what I wanted to carry and I didn't like the wider shape of it.
So far I'm very pleased with the 200. Easy to use, comfortable to wear, works as advertised with the sling function, and it seems to protect the equipment well. It's not obtrusive looking either, just another small daypack style backpack in the crowd.
03-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Has anyone figured a way to attach a small lightweight tripod to the slingshot bags?
Ryan
03-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by APEHAUS Quote

My cell phone doesn't have shake reduction
As you can see from my two shots, mine doesn't like close focus, either.
03-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another 50-135 and 16-50 arrangement

Here's the latest try at arranging the bag, in a superbly exposed, colour corrected, in focus cell phone image.

In the bag I have the camera with 50-135 DA* where it is easy to get out by opening the bag just to the corner. The DA* 16-50 is in the separated compartment. The 100 macro is in the outside pocket on the opened out section.

To get the 16-50 out I will need to open the cover all the way. For hiking I am more likely to take the DA 12-24 on the camera and DA* 16-50 plus the 100 macro. I think I can put all three in the main compartment. If not, I can put the macro in the outside pocket of the compartment cover, where it is in the snap. I can take a TC for use with the macro as well.

Cell phones take such detailed, perfectly focused photos, don't they. My socks show well too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
1.2 MP  Photo 
03-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maxing out my tolerance for hauling gear

QuoteOriginally posted by ryno Quote
Has anyone figured a way to attach a small lightweight tripod to the slingshot bags?
Ryan
I'd like to know that too.

I just picked up an AW300 (!) for my impending South America trip, because I wanted a bag that would let me carry my Toki 80-200 f/2.8 and my due-to-be-delivered-Monday DA*16-50 (!!), with one of the lenses mounted. I've come up with this off-centre approach to let me do that & at the same time keep a flash mounted, and access it all using only the smaller side section of the flap:

(My camera phone is a K10D: great pictures, lousy reception )

(Yes, I have the orientation in the bag backwards; I should swap L-R as seen (top-bottom when on my back) so the weight doesn't rest on the flash!)

Now, my hope is that between the f/2.8's and the SR, I can hand-hold most everything. But I want to take a tripod or monopod to South America for occasional support.

Not seeing a good way to attach a tripod to the slingshot, and expecting minimal use anyway, I'm leaning to a Velbon Ultra, either Stick 50 (LX?) monopod or a LUXi-SF tripod. They're about the only options I can find that should just barely fit inside the bag and have some stability. These may not be ideal for the weight of camera + lens I'm carrying, but even with a tripod I wouldn't be leaving it to stand alone. I'd only be looking for more support than I can manage hand-held.

I should probably do a bit more research, after which I'll probably be putting up a slightly more informed message into a new thread soliciting opinions on this possibility/other options. But for now, any comments about highly portable monopods/tripods with a slingshot & heavy gear would be highly appreciated!

Last edited by David Whiteley; 03-22-2008 at 05:36 PM.
03-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #45
Veteran Member

well i ordered the 100 today, i hope, i will be satisfied with it, as this will be the third bag in 5 months
talk about BBA
Dave