Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Manfrotto 460MG Head Manual Wanted

I've bought a used Manfrotto 460MG head and read that one should consult the manual with this one.

However, I didn't get the manual and wonder what I should be paying attention to.

I figured out the safety lock mechanism and there doesn't seem to be lot you could do wrong with the head.

I'm wondering, however, about the "lens" direction arrows at the bottom of the quick release plate. I reckon they indicate which way the lens should be pointing. I wonder why the plate fits in both directions if the direction matters.

Does anyone have the manual for this head and would be happy to share the most important points made?

07-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I've bought a used Manfrotto 460MG head and read that one should consult the manual with this one.

However, I didn't get the manual and wonder what I should be paying attention to.

I figured out the safety lock mechanism and there doesn't seem to be lot you could do wrong with the head.

I'm wondering, however, about the "lens" direction arrows at the bottom of the quick release plate. I reckon they indicate which way the lens should be pointing. I wonder why the plate fits in both directions if the direction matters.

Does anyone have the manual for this head and would be happy to share the most important points made?
Do you mean 468MG ? If that is the one, I have it.
But if you have the lock mechanism figured out, you pretty well have it all figured out.
I don't know which quick release plate you have, they come with a couple of different ones,
mine has what they refer to as RCO, it is an 6 sided plate that does have an arrow and the word lens on it.
I have used those for about 16 to 17 years.

I did find the instruction sheet that came with it, and there really isn't that much info. Just tells you how
to fasten the plate into the head and release it. If you have that RCO plate, if you install it on your camera like it says
with the lens arrow pointing forward, it will poke you in the chest when you use a strap around your neck.
I always just spin the plate so a flat side is facing both front and rear, that way I just leave the plate on my cameras all the time.

I love mine, easy to use and keeps the camera right where you want it, with no creeping after you tighten the ball.
07-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for your response.

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
Do you mean 468MG ?
No, that's a ball head.

I have the 460MG which is a 3D Magnesium head with knobs the control individual axes.

I don't know which quick release plate you have, they come with a couple of different ones,...
I have the 200PL (aka RC2).
07-05-2013, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks for your response.

No, that's a ball head.

I have the 460MG which is a 3D Magnesium head with knobs the control individual axes.

I have the 200PL (aka RC2).
Sorry I couldn't be much help to you. Hope you enjoy your new tripod head.

07-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry I couldn't be much help to you. Hope you enjoy your new tripod head.
Thanks!
07-06-2013, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 460MG head, there isn't really much to know.
I think the lens direction is for when you are using the extra pin to support long telephoto lenses.
I got the pin with my fluid head but not the 3-way.

hope this helps
07-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I think the lens direction is for when you are using the extra pin to support long telephoto lenses.
So that's essential a video pin mechanism (that prevents the camera/lens from turning on the plate)?
Was there a pin included with the head?

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
hope this helps
Yes, it does, thanks a lot.