Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not Me...

Hi Kenntak,
I wouldn't recommend it, unless you need a QR for a full-size tripod. Chances are you'll never use it on a mini.
Most times a QR plate is used when you have two bodies and need to switch them fast, or switch to a long telephoto with a built-in tripod mount, you would have an extra QR plate already hooked up to the lens. In other words, when you're in a hurry or have multiple uses for the same tripod.
But for tabletop work there's generally no rush and if you're only using one body, it's just extra bulk, weight and expense.
JMO,
Ron

07-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
Would you recommend getting the Manfrotto 323 Rapid Connect Adapter with the 200PL-14 Quick Release Plate for use with the 709b?
I'll also say no, and this is why: Manfrotto runs their own system. They are relatively consumer oriented and make decent products, but down the road if you are looking for really solid higher end equipment you'll find manfrotto was just another stepping stone. The 709b is a nice simple table top tripod, it fits that niche without using any of their proprietary goods (i.e. plate systems).

I also do agree with rbefly on his point above, QR plates probably aren't necessary yet...but if you do want to use one, this is what I recommend:

If you think you want to start using some sort of plates, what you do want to do is get a clamp and plate that are arca swiss compatible. Arca has become pretty much the go-to clamp style for quick release plates with any of the higher end gear companies. With that said all it is, is a dovetail plate. That means you can still get relatively inexpensive equipment that will be arca compatible down the road.

With that in mind, this is what I would recommend:

New Clamp and QR Quick Release Plate Arca Swiss Compatible for Tripod Ball Head | eBay

Yes you'll wait a few weeks to get it from China, but this looks like a good value (I've not bought this one in particular, but have used similar inexpensive clamps myself). In the meantime you can still screw the tripod directly to the camera's thread mount.

The clamp will screw onto the 609b ballhead, and you attach the plate (note that auction has several purchase possibilities, you'd want the clamp and 60mm plate). This is what I did to my 609b/ballhead in order to use my current arca plates with.
07-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice rbefly and pxpaulx. It seems to be a good price for the clamp and release plate on eBay, I will go ahead and do that too.
07-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #19

Original Poster
I received the Manfrotto 709b and the New Clamp and QR Quick Release Plate Arca Swiss Compatible. This fits my simple table top tripod needs very well, and both items seem to be good quality for the price. Thank you for the advice. I will save up for a good quality full size tripod, but this little tripod definitely has its uses.

I have one very newbie question. Should I leave the QR plate on the camera, or take it off after every use?

07-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #20

I have one very newbie question. Should I leave the QR plate on the camera, or take it off after every use?
I think it is much easier to just leave the QR plate on the equipment it is intended for. I do not use the arca-swiss system, I use the Manfrotto RCO setup and have for many years. I must have about 15 plates around here, all left on the equipment.
07-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe?

Hi Kenntak,
I'd say leaving the QR plate on the camera depends on what you do with the camera when you're not shooting tabletop.
For example, I store my cameras and lenses on a set of shelves when not in use; The body won't sit upright with the plate mounted.
While I'm charging the batteries, the camera sits next to the charger, upright. Again, this won't work with the plate mounted.
Last. one of my camera bags is a backpack type, it holds 2 camera bodies upright. They barely fit with BG battery grips mounted and DON'T fit with a QR plate mounted to the grip.
I prefer not to sit the body on it's 'back' or having it rest on the LCD screen, doesn't seem like a good position to keep the screen clean and unmarked. With the plate attached, that's the only way to set the camera down.
But if none of these apply, leave the plate on!
Ron
07-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Should I leave the QR plate on the camera, or take it off after every use?
It's not very quick, if you have to stop and install the QR plate every time you use the tripod, is it?

I use the Sima QR, rather than the Swiss-Arca style. I doubt the plate on the camera body is unmounted more often than a couple times a year. And like RBEFLY says, it makes the body more tippy when sitting on the shelf - I just live with it.

07-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks again. It stays on then.