Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Table Top Tripod Recommendation

I was looking at purchasing a table top tripod to do some macro and table top work. I have read reviews for the following, and was wondering if any members of this site had any comments or suggestions on these or any other table top tripod:

Oben TT-100 Table Top Tripod

Oben TT-200 Table Top Tripod

Giottos QU 305BU Tripod with MH-1004 Mini Ballhead

Velbon CX-Mini Tripod with 3-Way Pan Head

07-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I donīt have any of those. I use the Joby Gorillapod SLR zoom for travelling and it is great.
Only recommendation, buy the best one you can afford.
07-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of gear (camera, lens, etc.) will you be putting on top of it?

I own 4 "tabletop" tripods, and one can hold 55 lbs, while another can barely support my K-5...
07-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
It will support a K-30. I only have the 18-55 lens now, but I want the capability to use it with a good size zoom lens too.

07-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
It will support a K-30. I only have the 18-55 lens now, but I want the capability to use it with a good size zoom lens too.
The problem with any tripod, table-top included, is leverage. In other words, how off-center can you place the gear weight and still have the tripod remain stable. If you can add counter-weights, this is good. The next item (in my opinion) is fluidity of exact aiming, especially if you are planing to to macro photography. If the head jerks in any direction as you move it, it is difficult to control composition.
07-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can always get a regular tripod that the center column can pivot to a horizontal position (like the Manfrotto 055XPROB ) and use it over a table or any other suitable surface.
07-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #7

Original Poster
The Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod looks like a great tripod that would last many years. It costs more than I wanted to spend right now, but it seems able to handle just about everything I would need a tripod for. I will have to think about it, I just wish it did not cost so much once you add the ball head.

07-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
It costs more than I wanted to spend right now
Read this article by Thom Hogan: Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

Summary: better to wait until you have the funds for a decent tripod, then buying lots of intermediate ones. However, if you intend to do a lot of tabletop or low-macro photos, a smaller tripod might be in your future anyhow...
07-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

I have a Manfrotto #209 I think, with the small ballhead. It has always worked OK for me, but I don't load a lot of weight on it.
07-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Table-Topper?

Hello Kenntak,
I've never tried any of the mini's you posted, but do have one I can recommend; The Manfrotto # 209, about $25.00 USD. Mine is from the stone age, when they were called Bogen in the US (made by Manfrotto). Same product, all these years later.
At the time they also sold the mini-ballhead I have, but that's since been discontinued. They do have newer ones available, and I'm sure the quality is just as good, if not better. Try to get one that's rated for 2 kilo weight bearing or better.
The 209 has an 8mm nut on the bottom for tightening the legs, a balldriver or socket in that size is a must-have.
Altogether you're looking at $70-$80 USD. It's a one-time purchase, it will never break or fail (mine hasn't in 30 years!) and fits easily in a long pocket or bag.
Good Luck!
Ron
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Kenntak,
I've never tried any of the mini's you posted, but do have one I can recommend; The Manfrotto # 209, about $25.00 USD. Mine is from the stone age, when they were called Bogen in the US (made by Manfrotto). Same product, all these years later.
At the time they also sold the mini-ballhead I have, but that's since been discontinued. They do have newer ones available, and I'm sure the quality is just as good, if not better. Try to get one that's rated for 2 kilo weight bearing or better.
The 209 has an 8mm nut on the bottom for tightening the legs, a balldriver or socket in that size is a must-have.
Altogether you're looking at $70-$80 USD. It's a one-time purchase, it will never break or fail (mine hasn't in 30 years!) and fits easily in a long pocket or bag.
Good Luck!
Ron
Agreed with rbefly, get the manfrotto - best bang for the buck on table top tripods. Rbefly, the 709b has the mini ballhead that you might be referring to? It is $43 on amazon, here:

manfrotto 709b

Edit for OP - I checked out the 4 you listed. The tt-100 essentially looks like the manfrotto i linked to...I'd get the manfrotto just to ensure you are getting a solid product, never heard of oden. The 2nd two you listed are like a sail mast in the wind - your camera will vibrate and likely fall over quite easily so i'd skip those in a heartbeat. The last velbon would probably be solid enough, but those kind of heads (pan/tilt) are more for video and can be quite annoying to use over a simple ballhead. Go for your first option or the 709b I linked to.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 07-05-2013 at 09:25 PM.
07-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's It!

pxpaulx, that ballhead looks like a modern version of the one I have. Thanks for the link, good price, too.
Ron
07-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
pxpaulx, that ballhead looks like a modern version of the one I have. Thanks for the link, good price, too.
Ron
Same here, as the one I have is probably 20 years old and the only number I can find is on the ballhead itself and shows #3009, the tripod is a Bogen.
They are great little tripods, I have never had an issue with mine. That is a nice price on Amazon.
07-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your help. I will get the manfrotto 709b, and save up for a quality full-size tripod down the road.
07-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #15

Original Poster
Would you recommend getting the Manfrotto 323 Rapid Connect Adapter with the 200PL-14 Quick Release Plate for use with the 709b?