Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Camera bag

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a new camera-laptop shoulder bag. The main problem I keep running into, is that one bag seems to be exactly too small (not 100% sure since I haven't seen it in real life) and the next one too big again.
For example Tamrac Rally 7 vs Tamrac Super Pro 13

I'd like to fit this equipment in there:
13" thin laptop (asus ux32vd)
2 bodies (1 definitely with lens)
flash
2 lenses

As said before, I'm not really sure what to choose. I remember that there were Crumpler Messenger(?) in various sizes but I find specs only for XXL or L size.
I took a look to Manfrottos webpage too. Looks like they a lot of choices, but in the description I find only: "fits laptop, DSLR body and other gear." That's not really helpful.

Hopefully some here has a personal experience with similar stuff and shares it. Or maybe has some other suggestion.

07-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thats quite a lot of weight on one shoulder.

I've a large crumpler shoulderbag but i only use it to transport my gear between the studio and my home and such.
That will what you're looking for though unless you mean with 2 lenses 2 very large lenses.
07-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You might want to check out the Crumpler 8 Million Dollar Home. I have the 7 Million Dollar version which is smaller and I can hold a griped K-5 with FA35, K-x with F50 along with DA*16-50, DA*50-135,DA10-17 and AF540 flash with a little room to spare.
Amazon.com: Crumpler MD-08-09A The 8 Million Dollar Home Bag for Camera (Gray/Red): Camera & Photo
07-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote

I've a large crumpler shoulderbag but i only use it to transport my gear between the studio and my home and such.
That will what you're looking for though unless you mean with 2 lenses 2 very large lenses.
Yes, that's quite a lot of weight. Need for transportation is one reason for this bag.
Second reason is using it at the field. I also have a backpack but using it at the show or theatre performance is really difficult. And I won't be having full gear in there 24/7. It will definitely change.
Luckily I don't have any big-big lenses, longest one is about 15 cm.

QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
You might want to check out the Crumpler 8 Million Dollar Home. I have the 7 Million Dollar version which is smaller and I can hold a griped K-5 with FA35, K-x with F50 along with DA*16-50, DA*50-135,DA10-17 and AF540 flash with a little room to spare.
Amazon.com: Crumpler MD-08-09A The 8 Million Dollar Home Bag for Camera (Gray/Red): Camera & Photo

I like this one,.but there's one problem - haven't found a retailer in Europe. So I'm still open to different options and opinions.

07-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Depending on what bodies you're planning on using, LowePro makes wonderful event messenger bags (the 250 might work for your needs) or general messenger bags.

Yeah, I'm partial to LowePro, they're the one bag-brand that so far hasn't disappointed me....
07-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Depending on what bodies you're planning on using, LowePro makes wonderful event messenger bags (the 250 might work for your needs) or general messenger bags.

Yeah, I'm partial to LowePro, they're the one bag-brand that so far hasn't disappointed me....

Event Messenger 250 seems to be the best option at this moment. Lowepro hasn't disappointed my friends, so it should serve me for a long time.
07-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #7

Hey there,

I would recommend the Think Tank Urban Disguise series.
Urban Disguise, Shoulder Bags - Think Tank Photo

I own the UD 35 v2.0, which will fit my 13" MacBook Pro, my K-5, 2 zooms and 2 LTD primes just in the main compartment with room for 3 hard-drives (separated by the dividers)
I would specifically recommend the UD 35 v2.0 because it is a vertical shoulder bag, and it fits a 70-200 with a body. And because of the vertical design, it makes for a good backpack since ThinkTank has a backpack strap that is universal for all the Urban Disguise series for about 30 bucks. So shoulder and backpack in one.

Sidenote - the 13" fits like perfectly, in other words, just right. So if it is slightly larger then it probably won't fit.

ThinkTank bags are truly tanks. IMO.
Their Retrospective line are classic looking shoulder bags. Retrospective. Shoulder Bags - Think Tank Photo

Hope this helped, and not sounded like a ThinkTank ad. haha

-Steve

07-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This website has a ton of user reviews with pictures showing what they fit into their bags. It reviews most of the major bag designs.

Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

Tim
07-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inmybubble Quote
Event Messenger 250 seems to be the best option at this moment. Lowepro hasn't disappointed my friends, so it should serve me for a long time.
I've Crumpler, Kata, Thinktank and a lowepro.
Lowe just isn't out their with the rest sadly, i like lowe shoes and their Alpine brand but their camera gear...

If you want to use it with less lenses as well i would look with thinktank retrospective, those bags are "floppy" so to say they wrap around the gear and when you don't pack the bag fully it's not so large.
I've the 10 version and that fits the DA*16-50 50-135, DFA100 and flash or sound gear.
The number 40 that is bigger and fit 13 inch laptop.
07-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I bought a Tamrac Zuma 5 for much the same purposes as the OP .... and I wholeheartedly agree; every bag (not just Tamrac) seems to be about a half-inch too small or way over-sized. I'm not saying the Zuma 5 specifically will meet OP's needs. But I would like to make a couple points-

My 14" full featured notebook would fit fine it it were not for the extra capacity battery. A slim 13" would have no problems. And while all my camera gear fits, there isn't a lot of room dedicated to things like the notebook charger or a mouse. So when I HAVE to take it ALL, I have a matching color notebook bag from which I removed the shoulder strap. I attach it to the back of my Zuma 5 by using double-ended clips to connect via the D-rings. As the whole thing is still within carry-on limits with one shoulder strap, the airlines have treated it as a single personal carry-on. The PC bag is left in my hotel room once I reach my destination.

Step One- I replaced my Zuma 5's shoulder strap with the one from my early 1980's camera bag. It is wider and has a nicely cushioned suede leather pad.
Step Two- I made a wide adjustable waist belt that clips to the Zuma 5's D-rings. This both redistributes some of the weight from my shoulder to my hips and keeps the bag from swaying while I move.