Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

Any disadvantage to larger filter and step-up ring?

I am going on vacation with my DA 16-45 and was about to get a 67mm neutral density filter.
I also have a DA 14mm (which I am not taking) that uses 77mm filters.

Is there any disadvantage (besides cost) to just buying a 77mm ND filter and a 67-77 step-up ring so I can use it on both lenses?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

07-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Other than not being able to use the lens hood, not really.

Without the lens hood, you will probably lose a bit of contrast.
07-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 to cyclone3d's comment. There is also a greater risk of damage to the filter and lens because of the overhang if you are not careful in sitting down your camera with the larger filter attached.
07-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Other than not being able to use the lens hood, not really.

Without the lens hood, you will probably lose a bit of contrast.
Or the lens cap. You might be able to take the lens cap from the 14mm and use it.

Not using the hood can also expose the lens to hazards a bit more as the hood is the primary protection for the lens.

Actually, I'd think you would be far more likely to use an ND filter over time on the 16-45 than an ultrawide. I'd be inclined to get the 67mm and just not worry about it for the 14. YMMV.

07-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hood necessary for 9-stop ND filter?

Thank you for your replies.

I am looking at a 9-stop ND filter for waterfalls and ocean.
I'll only use it when I set it up on a tripod and am working with it, so I don't think I will have an issue damaging it.

I hadn't thought of the hood issue. I don't want to carry another hood just for that. Maybe I can use my hat or hand to shade it when I am using it.

Because the actual lens will be inside and the filter is very dark, will a hood be necessary? Will I get reflections off the filter that will cause a loss in contrast?

Thanks,
07-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
Thank you for your replies.

I am looking at a 9-stop ND filter for waterfalls and ocean.
I'll only use it when I set it up on a tripod and am working with it, so I don't think I will have an issue damaging it.

I hadn't thought of the hood issue. I don't want to carry another hood just for that. Maybe I can use my hat or hand to shade it when I am using it.

Because the actual lens will be inside and the filter is very dark, will a hood be necessary? Will I get reflections off the filter that will cause a loss in contrast?

Thanks,
Cap from the original lens (or a cheap replacement for $5 or so) will work fine on the stepped up filter.

For a Hood you can go the $5 3-stage rubber hood route (my preference) or use a baseball cap for some shade. Even a rolled up black construction paper snoot will work if its not too long.
07-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you thought about using square filters (cokin, lee etc)?
then just get the two adaptor rings you need.

It also allows the versatility of using multiple filters

Just a thought?

07-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was just given a collection of 35mm film gear from an old-timer .
What he did
Hoya step up adaptors 46, 49, 52, & 55, all to 58

His collection has lots of ND filters of various types.
I will have to ask him why, as I never used one yet.
07-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i keep 3 rubber collapsible hoods in my bag for when I need to use a step up ring. I also carry 3 sizes of every filter with me which is not optimal either, haha. pick yer poison