Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

does anyone use the 200fg?

just wondering.. is there any point to this flash in the lineup? i mean.. it can't function as a master controller for wireless, it has no manual settings except for full power.. and it's.. well.. more expensive than it should be, for what it is. i have to wonder why Pentax keeps this flash?

03-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps this is an entry level flash
03-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Perhaps this is an entry level flash
Sure, that's exactly what it is. But it's hard to understand exactly who would want to enter at that particular level. It is about 4× the light power of the built-in flash, okay, but it's not far enough away from the lens to reduce annoying shadows or get rid of red eye, and no option for bouncing. And for $50 more, you can get the AF360FGZ. If you can't currently justify that price, you're probably better off sticking with the built-in flash until you can.

If it could be used as a wireless P-TTL slave, I'd probably pick up one as a little secondary light. As it is, it's not even under consideration.
03-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Sure, that's exactly what it is. But it's hard to understand exactly who would want to enter at that particular level. It is about 4× the light power of the built-in flash, okay, but it's not far enough away from the lens to reduce annoying shadows or get rid of red eye, and no option for bouncing. And for $50 more, you can get the AF360FGZ. If you can't currently justify that price, you're probably better off sticking with the built-in flash until you can.

If it could be used as a wireless P-TTL slave, I'd probably pick up one as a little secondary light. As it is, it's not even under consideration.
exactly. maybe they need to rethink their flash lineup, too. they're really suffering by not having an IR master-only unit that increases range over the pop-ups capabilities. sony is revamping their lineup, and it's probably time pentax does too.

i wonder how hard it would be for someone like sigma or metz to make an external IR commander for pentax..?

03-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Given the wireles P-TTL mode and it's capabilities why would one need IR master?? If for firing simple optical slaves one can make IR master from cheap manual flash and unexposed but developed dia film.
03-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Given the wireles P-TTL mode and it's capabilities why would one need IR master?? If for firing simple optical slaves one can make IR master from cheap manual flash and unexposed but developed dia film.
k1xxd cameras don't have onboard wireless PTTL. and an external unit can extend your range, too. why else would canon offer one?
03-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
k1xxd cameras don't have onboard wireless PTTL. and an external unit can extend your range, too. why else would canon offer one?
I don't think Canon's built-in flashes can do the act-as-controller trick.

03-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I don't think Canon's built-in flashes can do the act-as-controller trick.
well that's... crappy. lol, still, an external controller would be nice..