Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

In some of the images above - with all due respect - I mean, c'mon batteries in a Pelican case? Remotes? O-GPS-1? Power cords?

Sorry, I don't understand your confusion. Did you think I am trying to protect my AA batteries from being crushed?
This is a complete grab and go kit, everything is inside and ready to deploy. It all fits, it's organized, and secure.
For event shooting, I can cable chain one of these to a pillar and work from it. It can even get thoroughly soaked, partially submerged in the ocean (this has happened) without any damage to the equipment.

08-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Sorry, I don't understand your confusion. Did you think I am trying to protect my AA batteries from being crushed?
This is a complete grab and go kit, everything is inside and ready to deploy. It all fits, it's organized, and secure.
For event shooting, I can cable chain one of these to a pillar and work from it. It can even get thoroughly soaked, partially submerged in the ocean (this has happened) without any damage to the equipment.
No, confusion...and I'm not trying to be mean/sarcastic...it's just that some of those pieces don't need the space you've allocated them in the foam. With Pelican cases, again, they are great for what they do, but they don't make the best use of the space inside because of the pick and pluck foam.

I suppose in your case (pun intended), if everything in that case is ALL that you take for a specific kit, as in your "Grab and Go" kit, then sure, I suppose giving everything such generous padding is fine.

The point(s) I wanted to make were

1) Pelican Cases are overkill for most people
2) Most camera peripherals that don't have moving parts are acceleration/drop tolerant, and that the generous space allocated in a pick and pluck foam system is more than adequate
3) Some people go for the Pelican "aesthetic" as it looks "Professional" or "Military" grade.
4) Most folks don't need extreme crush proof or weather proof protection.

So if you and I - Mike - were standing next to each other and you popped open your Pelican case, I imagine the conversation would go something like this.

Mike - "Hey, check out my Pelican case and gear!"
Lauren - "Cool, wow, you got all your stuff in there!"
Mike - "Yeah, it's my grab and go kit"
Lauren - "Hmmm...power cables? Batteries?. Do they need that kind of protection?"
Mike - "It's not the protection per se, its having everything in one place ready to go at any time".
Lauren - "But what about adding things later? or having the bulk of it lugging around?"
Mike - "No problem, as I have thought out this kit for this specific purpose"
Lauren - "Oh. Cool...it still looks bad-ass"

08-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobN. Quote
...I might put it in the trunk of a car once in a while, but mainly it will just sit in my office for a safe protected place for my gear...
If you're only using it for storage, a large kitchen or underbed storage box with gasketed lid is an inexpensive option. Put all your gear inside with a large pack of desiccant (the humidity absorbing stuff). You don't really need professional dividers or foam, just lay a thin piece of foam across the bottom. Things get more complex as soon as you need to transport everything.

My recent process of picking a case led me to a Pelican 1560. I needed space to store and transport astrophotography accessories (adapters, cables, filters, autoguider, etc.) along with my camera. It's not a single-case solution because my telescopes are in separate cases; one case to store it all would be too heavy to transport. I evaluated hard case vs soft, foam vs padded dividers went:

A hard case won for several reasons:
  • Nighttime dew as temperatures drop. Soft cases can get soggy especially if left on the ground.
  • When in my car, other things (25# equatorial tripod head) can be stacked on top of a hard case.
  • When not being used a hard waterproof case can be stored in my garage while a soft case should be brought inside.
Padded dividers won because it's easier to reconfigure and yields much more storage; the smaller foam case I have has a lot of wasted space. If the case was at risk of being roughly handled I would have stayed with foam, though.
08-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
They look tough, serious and "James-Bondy"
You say the nicest things, I never considered myself as "James-Bondy".