Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #1

AA Battery Adaptor for K30

I have Pentax AA battery Adaptor for K30 and only get about 13 shots from 'Energizer Lithium' batteries before getting "Battery Depleted" warning - anyone else having the same problem?

07-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you set the battery type to Li in the camera menus?
07-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The defalt setting in the camera is "auto-detect" as to the type of AA used. The manual says it may take a while for the battery level to display correctly and that temp can affect it also. (page 215 in the operating manual) So try setting it to Li and see if that works.
07-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woonona_butch Quote
I have Pentax AA battery Adaptor for K30 and only get about 13 shots from 'Energizer Lithium' batteries before getting "Battery Depleted" warning - anyone else having the same problem?
Are you using the true Pentax D-BH109 battery adapter, or a Chinese knockoff?

07-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
AA Batteries

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Have you set the battery type to Li in the camera menus?
Yes tried this and no different, seemed better on Auto-Detect
07-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Are you using the true Pentax D-BH109 battery adapter, or a Chinese knockoff?
I am using the Pentax D-BH109 by Pentax Ricoh. I had it set on Li batteries and when I took it back to dealer they tried it on auto detect and then took about 8 shots and said "appears OK now" so when I got home I thought I would see just how many shots I could get out of NEW set of Batteries - "13" . Shop assistant wasn't familiar with Pentax either said he was Nikon user. Will have to contact Australian Distributor B. Hours now.
07-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've had trouble with Energizer Lithiums. The problem lies not in the battery adapter, but with the batteries themselves! Check to see if one or two of those batteries are DOA, as one dead battery will sink the whole ship.

This really peeved me one day after I spent a bunch of money on those Energizer batteries, only to find out they don't work. I did some digging and came across some battery forums (there's a subculture for everything!) where people complained about some shipments of Energizers that were duds. I suspected that mine were part of it. Yours may be too.

I tested my AA adapter (I have 2, and they're both the cheapo knockoff Ebay from China variety) with regular gas station Duracell coppertops afterwards and got just over 200 shots with them. I also got two sets of Eneloops, and that is now what I use with my AA adapters, and they last somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 shots. I don't buy Energizers anymore. Fool me once . . .

07-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The problem is likely either the batteries or the camera, not the adapter. If you get any circuit at all with the adapter then it works. Its a simple device electrically. If the camera des fine with the standard battery then its more likely tht Earl is right. I love Eneloops and used them in both my K-x and K-r with ecellent results. Try other batteries and see what you get, or if you have a tester test each Li battery.
07-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
The K-30 seems to suck more power than either the K-x or K-r (probably due to the more powerful CPU and larger sensor). I am basing this off my upgrade from the K-r to the K-30 and using the same AA adapters and eneloop batteries. That said, I don't see THAT much difference to even worry about it.

The eneloops seems to handle the higher power demands MUCH better than other AA batteries.
07-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I've had trouble with Energizer Lithiums. The problem lies not in the battery adapter, but with the batteries themselves! Check to see if one or two of those batteries are DOA, as one dead battery will sink the whole ship.

This really peeved me one day after I spent a bunch of money on those Energizer batteries, only to find out they don't work. I did some digging and came across some battery forums (there's a subculture for everything!) where people complained about some shipments of Energizers that were duds. I suspected that mine were part of it. Yours may be too.

I tested my AA adapter (I have 2, and they're both the cheapo knockoff Ebay from China variety) with regular gas station Duracell coppertops afterwards and got just over 200 shots with them. I also got two sets of Eneloops, and that is now what I use with my AA adapters, and they last somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 shots. I don't buy Energizers anymore. Fool me once . . .
Thanks all for your replies
Problem fixed as Earl points out the problem IS "lithium" batteries - they just won't work in the K30 (Don't know if it is voltage difference ie 1.5V as against 1.2V)
I dug out an old set of Energiser Rechargeables from my K100D, charged them up and so far over 100 shots and 1 min movie.

Thanks for advice
Chris
07-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks all for your replies
Problem fixed as Earl points out the problem IS "lithium" batteries - they just won't work in the K30 (Don't know if it is voltage difference ie 1.5V as against 1.2V)
I dug out an old set of Energiser Rechargeables from my K100D, charged them up and so far over 100 shots and 1 min movie.

Thanks for advice
Chris
Glad you have it sorted out.
07-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I guess I need to check that pack of Energizer Li's I threw in my camera bag as a back up, incase my 3 rechargable battery packs run out of juice.
07-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If I could ride along on this thread, why is the lion flat and the adapter l shaped?
07-28-2013, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
If I could ride along on this thread, why is the lion flat and the adapter l shaped?
Seriously?

You can mold LiON batteries to almost any shape - - look at a cell phone versus a notebook PC. However AA batteries are a standardized shape, and you need four of them. The adapter uses the smallest amount of space it can for the AA batteries.