Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Lens Wraps

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anybody any experience of lens wraps, thinking of going very stealth in a foreign land, just need something without bulk to stop a couple lenses bashing into each other in a normal non photographic bag.

Looking at the Tenba flavour as first choice... unless of course you know different.

07-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

I have and use the Op/Tech 'Snoot Boots' for several of my lenses. They are reasonably well padded and come in different sizes to accommodate different lens sizes. OP/TECH USA Snoot Boot

Regards
07-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot a little large format and lens wraps are pretty much the standard way to protect the lens/lensboard assembly for transport. For that purpose, I guess they work well. I would not know from personal experience, though since I don't own any ($$$). I use plastic leftover containers instead, though I suspect that would not work well for your needs when traveling. Generic pouches work well, but it is pretty obvious what is inside.

I would suggest that you see if you can find a store that has some wraps in stock. That way you can see what size works best.

Steve
07-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Anybody any experience of lens wraps, thinking of going very stealth in a foreign land, just need something without bulk to stop a couple lenses bashing into each other in a normal non photographic bag.

Looking at the Tenba flavour as first choice... unless of course you know different.
This works for me: in the US (at least) grocery stores, especially Asian grocers, sell Chinese pears that are individually wrapped in a protective soft plastic netting that can expand. There are usually many of these laying around the produce bin. Or you can buy the fruit. I find that the netting fits over most of my non-long tele lenses. And the pears taste great.

M

07-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would suggest that you see if you can find a store that has some wraps in stock
That was exactly my thoughts too, but they seem to be as rare as Pentax stockists.
07-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluenose Quote
OP/TECH USA Snoot Boot
Thanks for the heads up on these, I never seen or heard of them before, I will keep an eye out for them. Form the images they may prove to be a bit more bulky than I would have liked.

Again, it's finding a stockist so I can in with the lenses in question to see and get the right fit.
07-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Chinese pears
I'm not sure we even get such things here, I'll make enquires.

07-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/141765-diy-lens-wraps.html
07-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote

If it's just for two lenses you might like a double mount rear lens cap, which allows you to mount two lenses together.

OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap

I've used two lens wraps. One is theOpTech Soft wrap, which I've found to just be too...soft for my liking. The other is a Canon lens wrap, which is the only one I really use. I like it more than the OpTech as it has a much more rugged feel and makes me feel more confident in the level of protection.
07-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Lens wraps are usuaully a bit overkill. I have one that came with one of my large format lenses and I use it more for wrapping the K-r for a bike pannier than ever do for a lens. A clean hankie or rag will do the job just as good unless your bag is large and empty.
07-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Lens wraps are usuaully a bit overkill. I have one that came with one of my large format lenses and I use it more for wrapping the K-r for a bike pannier than ever do for a lens. A clean hankie or rag will do the job just as good unless your bag is large and empty.
Overkill for what purpose?

When I carry my photobag I've no need for a wrap. When I carry using one of my backpacks, which are all made of thin dyneema and silnylon and offers no protection, I use a wrap. If I was consistently mindful and never allowed my backpack to be put down too hard or bump into objects, then I probably could do without any protection. And I am pretty careful with my backpacks as they aren't the most durable anyway. However, the added bulk and weight of the wrap being so small, and the additional protection and peace of mind being important to me, means I'll use one whenever I use my backpacks.

In a pinch, when I've forgotten a wrap, I've used my beanie.
07-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Overkill for what purpose?

When I carry my photobag I've no need for a wrap. When I carry using one of my backpacks, which are all made of thin dyneema and silnylon and offers no protection, I use a wrap. If I was consistently mindful and never allowed my backpack to be put down too hard or bump into objects, then I probably could do without any protection. And I am pretty careful with my backpacks as they aren't the most durable anyway. However, the added bulk and weight of the wrap being so small, and the additional protection and peace of mind being important to me, means I'll use one whenever I use my backpacks.

In a pinch, when I've forgotten a wrap, I've used my beanie.
Overkill for the purpose of the OP.
07-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've been thinking about getting a set of these: 4PCS Neoprene Soft DLSR Camera Lens Pouch Case Bag Protector S+M+L+XL Size | eBay

For the price you're not out much if they don't work but I can't see a reason why they wouldn't (apart from quality of stitching maybe but I can fix that). I've been toying with ideas for pouches that can be used on a belt as I have a couple of mil-surplus webbing belts I've used in the past to carry ham radio gear on emergency communications events. I couldn't make a set of pouches for the price these are going for!
08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I've been thinking about getting a set of these
That's exactly what I've just done, I've bought these off Amazon, they seem fine for what I have in mind and for just the occasional use. Watch the sizes as some brands come out much smaller than others especially on the diameters.

Active Pro - High Grade Protective Neoprene Lens Pouch for Canon EOS Lenses - 4 Size Multi Pack (S, M, L & XL) - Hook and Belt Loop by eCase, Price £14.99, S: 90 x 90 mm , M: 120 x 100 mm, L: 150 x 100 mm, XL: 220 x 100mm, Each Pouch with Hook and Belt Loop.

Mine must be extra good, they made for Canon lenses.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-01-2013 at 11:01 AM.
08-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you people never heard of bubble wrap? Cheap & flexible plus, if you have the need, you can repel unwanted companions by compulsively popping the bubbles.