Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2013, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
55mm f/1.2: Katzeye or Canon ee-S?

Hi,

I've had the ee-S in my sights since I put a manual prime on my K-5 for the first time but I've always had a number of slow lenses. Now however all my lenses (apart from two stopgap lenses that will be replaced soon) are f/2.8 or faster, so it's time for a better focusing screen. I may still get the DA21/3.2 at some point but the only lens on my wishlist that's really slow is the Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6.

I also bought a Revuenon/Tomioka 55mm f/1.2 (M42) and I'm wondering if the ee-S screen is acurate enough to focus at f/1.2 or if I should get a Katzeye instead.
I frequently use spot metering and I could use the ee-S's linear brightness (how does the Katzeye compare there?) but the 55/1.2 is the main reason to buy a new focusing screen.

Here are my current lenses (the underscored ones will be sold of soon):
Tokina SL 17mm f/3.5
Kiron MC 24mm f/2
DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited
Revuenon/Tomioka 55mm f/1.2 (M42)
DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited
Vivitar Series 1 135mm f/2.3 (M42)
DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5

And here is my current wishlist:
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8
Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6
DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR
DA* 55mm f/1.4

Has any of you experience with f/1.2 lenses and the Canon ee-S screen?

regards
Jan

07-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I liked using liveview for f1.2 with magnification
07-28-2013, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I liked using liveview for f1.2 with magnification
That is always an option of course but I'd like to have a faster way to focus since 55/1.2 (equiv. 84/1.8) is perfect for portraits on APS-C and those damn humans keep moving without being told (those bastards!).
My question is if the ee-S screen is acurate enough to focus at f/1.2 or if I would need a split-prism (which would interfere with spot-metering and composition).
07-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris_Akunin Quote
've had the ee-S in my sights since I put a manual prime on my K-5 for the first time but I've always had a number of slow lenses. Now however all my lenses (apart from two stopgap lenses that will be replaced soon) are f/2.8 or faster, so it's time for a better focusing screen. I may still get the DA21/3.2 at some point but the only lens on my wishlist that's really slow is the Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6.
My situation is very similar! From what Iīve been able to learn, The EE screen seems to be a better option because itīs cheaper, doesnīt mess with metering, allows to focus anywhere, not only the center.
About the EE-S screen:
Renders "real" DoF from f/1.4 onwards vs f/2.8 for the K-5 stock screen.
Starts getting dark after f/4. This shows much when light is bright and our eyes get used to it. If light isnīt too brigt you wonīt notice that much difference when looking though the VF.
VF darkens fast as you mount lenses with f/4.5 - f/5.6 maximum aperture.

My fastest lenses are f/2.8, except for the F50/1.7 so my main question is if I will see a benefit from the EE-S screen over the stock screen.

07-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #5

Having used both, I'd recommend the EE-S. Even if it doesn't quite show real DOF at f/1.2, it helps a lot with managing that narrow string of sharpness. KatzEye is nice too, but its strengths lie elsewhere.
07-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the EE-S in my K-7 ( the pre-cut version from Deki at focussingscreen.com )

It works great as long as you get the shims correct between the screen and prism.
Image at f1.2 snaps quickly into focus over a much narrower range.

I found that the metering with my DA15 and 18-135 (both slow lenses) was slightly affected by the EE-S sligtly underexposing.
I had to dial in +0.3 to sometimes +0.5 EV.
Oddly my 55-300 generally didnt require any EV adjustment and it's f4.5 -5.8

Faster lenses like f2.8 primes or my FA43 didnt seem to need any exp comp.

Never tired the Katzeye or other split screen as they can affect the centre spot metering which I do use occasionally.
07-31-2013, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I have the EE-S in my K-7 ( the pre-cut version from Deki at focussingscreen.com )

It works great as long as you get the shims correct between the screen and prism.
Image at f1.2 snaps quickly into focus over a much narrower range.
I'll have the installation and shim-adjustment done by the company that does Pentax' free "base-check" while they're at it.
If they don't f**k it up, I should get a correctly adjusted and clean focusing screen.

QuoteQuote:
I found that the metering with my DA15 and 18-135 (both slow lenses) was slightly affected by the EE-S sligtly underexposing.
I had to dial in +0.3 to sometimes +0.5 EV.
Oddly my 55-300 generally didnt require any EV adjustment and it's f4.5 -5.8
I have no plans to buy another slow lens apart from the Sigma 8-16, so that'll be fine.

QuoteQuote:
Never tired the Katzeye or other split screen as they can affect the centre spot metering which I do use occasionally.
And it looks like I won't try it either.

Thanks, guys!

regards
Jan

11-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #8

Sorry for late arrival on this topic but I have a question:
I have a 1.2 manual focus and I soon realized I had to use liveview on this K30 to get proper focus.
After reading some of the comments/inquiries about lacking DOF does this Ee-s help significantly with quicker/sharper focusing over LV?
Thanks!
11-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
Sorry for late arrival on this topic but I have a question:
I have a 1.2 manual focus and I soon realized I had to use liveview on this K30 to get proper focus.
After reading some of the comments/inquiries about lacking DOF does this Ee-s help significantly with quicker/sharper focusing over LV?
Thanks!
It doesn't reproduce f/1.2 perfectly. There's always going to be some guesswork involved. But you have to guess a lot less with the EE-s than with the stock or the KatzEye.