Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
Tripods are like lenses; you cannot have just one and expect it to be the right one from all situations. A heavy tripod is great in a studio environment but not so good for travel and hiking.
This is very true. Keep in mind that another way that tripods are like lenses is that if you invest in a good one now, it will far outlast your camera bodies. It really depends upon the type of photography you do and how important a tripod is to you. If you shoot landscapes...maybe you want to spend a little more on your tripod. But if you're primarily a street photograper, you may be fine with something less expensive since it's not as crucial to what you enjoy shooting.

07-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

^ the OP mentioned long exposure and night photography. That needs a hand-off freestanding tripod rather than a monopod.
07-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

A cheap tripod is useless. Having said that almost all tripods fall in between a cheap one and a thousand dollar one. The 055 mentioned above is my main tripod for my large format and medium format gear. It was my only tripod for years until I got a Manfrotto 190 which is my main tripod for my Pentax gear and also use it for my medium format when I need to travel lighter. I now have an even smaller tripod for fitting within a camera bag when flying.

You do not need a very expensive tripod, it will more than likely be overkill. A 190 with a good head will be less than half that price and buying used perhaps under $300.

The choice you listed in your post in deciding that a cheap tripod was not worth it so you decided on the mountaineer one is like deciding a rusted out K car is not good enough so you need to get the top of the line Lexus.
07-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all!

I think I will try out 055, 190 and Induro CF tripods at the store and go from there. I may pick up Acratech, Kirk or Induro BH depending on the availability and price.

Does standard acra swiss camera plate fit K-5 with grip?

08-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Forum Member

For light travel I have the Ultrapod II. Perfect alternative to placing your camera on a rock with more rocks supporting it. It will hold a camera with a normal consumer tele, like Sigma 18-200. It is pretty light and foldable. A bonus is that it can be strapped to a vertical post using the velcro strap.
08-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, I used to have an 055 (aka 3021B-Pro). Sold it after the fliplocks ripped off a piece of flesh on my palm while closing it quickly on a trip and bled all over the legs. Griped to Bogen about it and they ignored all the emails about it

Tripods are like lenses...they don't really expire and last through all your gear changes. In a way, it's a lifetime purchase if you get a good one. If you get a bad one, it'll annoy you on trips until you upgrade.
I have a Gitzo and ArcaSwiss head....you wouldn't believe how much solid it is than the 055. The 055 is good bang for buck though. But I trust my Gitzo. And it won't make me bleed
08-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

If you go for long exposures a tripod is a must. I would suggest you buy the best you can afford, as it is a one-off expense, and it should last many years if looked after.

08-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Additional monopod advice - pack a role of double sided Velcro 'tape'. You can often lash a monopod to a post or a tree, or borrow a couple hiking sticks from buddies to fabricate a tripod. The only tripod you might want is an adjustable table-top type for low use near the ground or perched on a boulder - and that's only if that type of photography is important to you.
08-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Thank you all!

I think I will try out 055, 190 and Induro CF tripods at the store and go from there. I may pick up Acratech, Kirk or Induro BH depending on the availability and price.

Does standard acra swiss camera plate fit K-5 with grip?
A standard Arca Swiss plate screws into the tripod socket on your K-5 / grip - the answer is 'yes.'
08-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
As I've said before on the forum, my simple three thoughts on tripod purchase

1) Buy high end brand, that opens up bigger/taller than you need......
2) Buy a heavier weight, both in terms of what it can support and also in its build construction, than you need......
3) By applying the first two, it will definitely last longer than you need......

I hasten to add I've now been using the same tripod for the last twenty odd years, oh which one I hear you ask.............................

It's a Benbo Mk2 c/w Benbo Ball Socket and Revolving Base (all for about £250 ish), made by Paterson Photographic Limited, not to be confused with the Benro brand.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/benbo-clasic-no-2.html

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-04-2013 at 03:45 AM.
08-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I've got a Manfrotto MT294A3 with 804RC2 head.

I originally had a cheap SLIK, which was fine, but didn't support heavier lenses.
I also stripped the plastic thread by over tightening it.

You don't have to blow a load of cash on a good, solid tripod.
My Manfrotto cost around 15,000 yen (maybe around 150USD).

Things I considered:
Max. load for both legs and head, enough to support my heaviest gear which would be a K10 and Sigma 170-500.
Height. I wanted one that could be extended close to eye level. I'm 5' 10".
Did it feel stable when extended and did the legs lock well.

The weight isn't an issue, as it is quite heavy and might be too heavy for some. I have developed forearms like Popeye carring it around parks.
The foldable height isn't an issue. I went for the 3-section rather than 4-section as I felt it a bit more stable.

Everyone will have different reasons for choosing a tripod, but the main reason is that it is stable and supports its load well.
I also think, if possible, it's a good idea to try them in the shop.
Like I said, I just didn't fancy the 4-section tripods.
08-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #27
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Keep your eyes open on the used market. A couple of weeks ago I got a Manfrotto 190 with 168 ball head in like new condition for $10 at a yard sale.
08-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trigger Happy Quote
Keep your eyes open on the used market. A couple of weeks ago I got a Manfrotto 190 with 168 ball head in like new condition for $10 at a yard sale.
Nice find! I hate you JK
08-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Based on my research, I have decided on Gitzo mountaineer/travler series 1 tripod and Arc-Swiss Z1 or RRS BH30 or 40 for ball heads.
About ball heads: the Z1 is a beast of a head to put on a 1-series (head would outweigh the legs), so the RRS BH40 would be a better fit.

I may pick up Acratech, Kirk or Induro BH depending on the availability and price.
Go with the Acratech head if weight is a concern. Kirk and Induro (née Benro) are pretty heavy for what they offer...
08-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the tripod: 055CXPRO4 + Markins Q10 (quick release) + Markins plate + carrying case for a little over $800. I thought it was an ok deal.

I hope this will last me for years!